Sheep Show 2024

cbeard64

WKR
So funny how people read things into posts that are not there. I’m not jealous or disparaging anyone, but if you can’t see that the costs for sheep hunting across the board have entered into a whole new stratosphere, you are in denial.

100K Dall hunts will be the norm soon.

And I’m not saying everyone is entitled to a Ferrari, but sheep hunting used to not be analogous to a Ferrari. Now it is. When what used to be attainable for most is now only attainable for a few - that’s not a positive development.

bradb

WKR
I went again this year, it was a good show. Would i go all the time, no. I will be back to it, just not every year. Of course the 1 more for 4 is by far the best odds i could have for drawing a rocky tag. Still not great. Saw a bunch of people i knew(many only from internet conversations and phone) and met and had good talks with several others

Last edited:
I am just happy these big pockets are on our side and not the anti-hunting, animal rights side. I am sure they have plenty though. I am glad I did my Dall hunt in 2020 because of the price increases and current challenges facing Dall numbers in Alaska. But the same can be said for the price of elk tags, mule deer numbers etc, across the west. I believe I worked my ass off serving my country and married the right woman so I could have a fulfilling professional and decent retirement. I knew my choices would never get me to a multi-million level of rich, but I do think if a person makes a decent living and wants to hunt sheep at least once in their life they can. The problem, at least for me, is once you get a taste of it then you want more. I greatly appreciate that the WSF has the less than one club but it really is a catalyst for support and to fuel the need to go again, and again and again. Next year I am planning on going to Reno and planning on spending my money toward the two sheep I need for 4. The show and a few other raffles are really my only chance to go on a stone hunt. My choices in life have clearly put a stone hunt out of reach for me financially. I will not jeopardize my quality of life for those who depend on me to simply kill a sheep of different species. I do have a small chance of drawing a desert as I enter and build points in every state that offers an opportunity. Plus I have to believe sooner or later everyone gets lucky, because it happened to me this past year drawing and harvesting the California Bighorn tag in NV. My luck, the opportunity Nevada offered to a NR, and all the help NDOW provided makes it very clear to me that many people want to see successful sheep hunters.
This is what dreams are made of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I can personally attest to the value of these limited auction tags to the average working class hunter. I drew my OIL Wyo sheep license and killed a ram in a unit that holds sheep because of Wyomimg Wild Sheep Foundation and national WSF that funded the vast majority of reintroduction costs. They also funded a multitude of projects which facilitated the re-establishment and wildly successful growth of the herd: prescribed fire, cheatgrass management, guzzlers, spring protection, fence conversion, dietary and distribution research. All of this effort also benefits elk, mule deer, and antelope, not to mention non-game species. All of this was due in large part to 1-2 auction tags annually. Several friends have since killed sheep in these units, none of us are the least bit wealthy, these have all been draw tags. I can't speak for all, but for me this will be my one and only. There are currently 12 ram tags annually in this herd unit that did not exist 15 years ago before the efforts of WWSF and the national org. I'm extremely grateful for the auction tag bidders, holders and their contribution.

Maddog58

FNG
I agree that these auctions do supply a lot of money for projects to help the sheep. In my home state of NV lots of guzzlers and sheep reintroduction into areas have greatly improved the odds of the working man getting to hunt them. I know I was happy when I finally drew a tag

mmw194287

WKR
Apparently there is a 200 inch ram on private property in Colorado, and a $300K trespass fee is going to be paid (in addition to the $600K tag).
I was curious for the backstory on the CO and NM tags. Figured there were a couple of big rams out there with targets on their backs.

bascott1

WKR
That’s a big increase over the last record.

Attachments

• C39F8145-D50D-49C7-A4B6-CA38AD3A66D9.png
    C39F8145-D50D-49C7-A4B6-CA38AD3A66D9.png
    1 MB · Views: 95
Apparently there is a 200 inch ram on private property in Colorado, and a $300K trespass fee is going to be paid (in addition to the $600K tag).
I think this is the part the rubs people. The WSF has a messaging/identity problem. They sell sheep hunting as the most badass hard work endeavor of one’s life. It sure seems like the norm has become hunts that last less than a few days and less than a half dozen miles. A whole bunch of stories and videos with 4+ guys behind a ram and a narrative talking about how there were guys scouting a particular area for a month to make it happen. Who can forget “We knew this would be a gun fight!” I volunteered here for a couple banquets and attended several meetings. Based on that, I haven’t been to one in several years and was really turned off from sheep show. Lots of talk about making money. No talk about sheep, sheep problems, assisting the department, or where all this money would be going (I do know they have wrote some good checks to local youth programs, so kudos. But I can write my own checks and take out the middleman). My mind remains cautiously open, but we will see.

I’m pro governor tags. I’m pro guys that worked hard skipping the line while the majority of tags are still out there for the “normal” fellas. So have at it, just stop trying to convince everyone else that a lot of these hunts are something they’re not. I’ve bid on a particular AK tag (not sheep) a couple times and fully intend to buy it for my wife within the next 5 years. As Scott said, I’d be buying those tags up if I hit the lotto!

Also, it should be called the Wild Bighorn Sheep Foundation. I suppose they did give thin horn guys horn plugs and movi test kits, so thanks I guess……

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I'll climb on the soapbox for a bit. It seems every year there is the negativity/animosity over the price of auction tags at the Sheep Show which confounds me. People need to realize that the auction tags are just 1 license. I'll use Wyoming as my example since I'm most familiar with it. Wyo. typically has 150 to 200 bighorn licenses issued every year. This means there are 149 to 199 licenses issued to 'regular' folks who apply and draw a tag. This scenario is pretty similar in most states.

The Sheep Show licenses which sell for a lot of dollars have virtually no impact on the 'common Joe', whoever that might be. Outfitting for sheep is a business, like most others, that exists based on 'supply and demand'. Yes, the cost has gone up and will continue to do so as long as the demand exists. It's no different than hotels in my town that essentially double their prices when the yearly rodeo contest comes to town. Or the hotels in Sturgis during the rally or in Las Vegas during the Super Bowl this year.

Not everyone who wants to hunt sheep will be able to do it. Accept that! I can't afford a Ferrari, but I don't begrudge those who can. Most high dollar folks I've met at the Sheep Show have earned their money. If someone here is unhappy with their circumstances, they can work to change it. Virtually all the money spent on the auction tags benefits the various game and fish departments. From my perspective, be grateful there are folks who have the dollars who are willing to spend them for a top notch conservation organization.

Getting off the soapbox now!!
Here in CA (which I am most familiar with) we were able to leverage auction tag proceeds for population surveys to open up new hunt units and provide draw hunters with more opportunity.

But those danged rich people….

Last edited:

cbeard64

WKR
I keep intending to take a deep dive into the financial reports of WSF to see how much is raised, on hand, and exactly where all the money goes but have just not done it yet.

I know quite a bit goes to conservation projects, but what I don’t know is what percentage of the $$ raised and on hand that actually amounts to….

TheTone

WKR
Gross.

Think if these people all just pooled money together and purchased a few strategic pieces of land with some access issues and turned it over to a public agency what that could do for generations of hunters; but then they wouldn’t have another dead ram in a trophy room…

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I think this is the part the rubs people. The WSF has a messaging/identity problem. They sell sheep hunting as the most badass hard work endeavor of one’s life. It sure seems like the norm has become hunts that last less than a few days and less than a half dozen miles. A whole bunch of stories and videos with 4+ guys behind a ram and a narrative talking about how there were guys scouting a particular area for a month to make it happen. Who can forget “We knew this would be a gun fight!” I volunteered here for a couple banquets and attended several meetings. Based on that, I haven’t been to one in several years and was really turned off from sheep show. Lots of talk about making money. No talk about sheep, sheep problems, assisting the department, or where all this money would be going (I do know they have wrote some good checks to local youth programs, so kudos. But I can write my own checks and take out the middleman). My mind remains cautiously open, but we will see.

I’m pro governor tags. I’m pro guys that worked hard skipping the line while the majority of tags are still out there for the “normal” fellas. So have at it, just stop trying to convince everyone else that a lot of these hunts are something they’re not. I’ve bid on a particular AK tag (not sheep) a couple times and fully intend to buy it for my wife within the next 5 years. As Scott said, I’d be buying those tags up if I hit the lotto!

Also, it should be called the Wild Bighorn Sheep Foundation. I suppose they did give thin horn guys horn plugs and movi test kits, so thanks I guess……
Thursday evening banquet is nothing BUT Conservation; that’s the entire theme of the evening. They put 7.8 million towards research and whatnot. The convention isn’t really where all the work gets done. There is a big Movi Summit in BC next month; WSF is funding a lot of that and a good part of what each agency who is attending is doing.

I recall other highlights from Colorado and Idaho from the other nights.

They do a TON more than anyone else for wild sheep and conservation of their habitat, I guess no matter how much is done, it is not enough for some.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Gross.

Think if these people all just pooled money together and purchased a few strategic pieces of land with some access issues and turned it over to a public agency what that could do for generations of hunters; but then they wouldn’t have another dead ram in a trophy room…

They just helped Vail do just that. I also hope that RMBS sets up a viewing area for all the POS that “voted” for the wolves to be released when their beloved howlers come in and slaughter that herd wintering on that recently secured from development land right off I-70.

Tilzbow

WKR
A few thoughts….

Even with being a Reno resident I don’t attend every year. Either traveling or too busy fishing, hunting to spend a full day or part of a day there some years. I did volunteer this year and was there from early morning until the end of each banquet but only spent a couple hours on the show floor. The WSF It’s a great show for those booking a hunt, wanting to look at new gear or catching up with old friends. Really now different than any other outdoor show.

For those who come here and get bored, there’s plenty to do with a little research. The best trophy trout fishery in the world is less than an hour away and you can fly fish, troll, cast from the shore or a boat, hire a guide for any method or DIY. Tahoe skiing is some of the best in the world and there’s great chukar hunting within minutes of town. Really no different than any other mid-size city but if you’re into museums and high city culture it’s not your place.

As far as auction tags, I’ve got no issue with those and have seen the direct results of these funds and efforts of conservation org’s such as WSF, NBU and The Fraternity of the Desert Bighorn with Nevada’s growing sheep populations over the past 30-40 years. That said I suspect most high price auction tag bidders are motivated more by ego and desire to shoot a record book animal, rather than desire to support conservation. If the opposite was true then the price wouldn’t fluctuate when there wasn’t knowledge of a huge ram.

I keep intending to take a deep dive into the financial reports of WSF to see how much is raised, on hand, and exactly where all the money goes but have just not done it yet.
Make sure to peek that “Industry support” tab. A lot of money going towards “industry” hell bent on taking opportunity from one user group and giving it to another. A bunch of groups there that the majority of this forum can’t stand because of what they’re fighting for at capital buildings. Not sure how donations to AK and WY guide associations are “putting and keeping sheep on the mountain.”

There are also some great orgs listed like wounded warriors scholarships. But again, those orgs will gladly take your donations directly

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Make sure to peek that “Industry support” tab. A lot of money going towards “industry” hell bent on taking opportunity from one user group and giving it to another. A bunch of groups there that the majority of this forum can’t stand because of what they’re fighting for at capital buildings. Not sure how donations to AK and WY guide associations are “putting and keeping sheep on the mountain.”

There are also some great orgs listed like wounded warriors scholarships. But again, those orgs will gladly take your donations directly
Good point.

cbeard64

WKR
That’s the kind of thing I would be looking for. The vast majority of organizations spend money in ways that would probably be surprising to the rank and file membership.

Lots of “nest-feathering”, one-hand-washing-the-other” and “insider” stuff that is not even indirectly belated to the core mission. The WW Project has its share of problems in this regard. Sometimes the issue is as simple as just piling up money and sitting on it like many big educational institutions do.

The NRA is also an example of what can really be taking place vs. what the $$$ should actually be used for.

I have never been under the impression that WSF has these types of issues but as a Life Member I intend to do my own research before committing more $$ to them.