Shelters with a stove... options

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Im looking for a shelter with a stove... something that will primarily be used at the Trailhead or near the truck. There will be a couple times a year where it gets packed in but probably for a week or two per year at the most. Id like something with stand up head room for someone a little over 6 feet and also something that has "nests" and enough space for a cot in the nest as well. The nest is a must have. I know there are different combinations and configurations with seekoutside and kifaru so Im thinking most of the recommendations will be 4-6 man tipis but I am curious as too any other suggestions or configurations. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ChrisS

WKR
2 people

8-man tipi would be the most livable and remain packable for two. You can get a collapsible stove for backpacking and get something like a 4-dog for near the truck and longer burn times. Two people, nests, and cots plus a stove in a 6-man will be real tight, if possible at all.

Edited to add that SeekOutside is coming out with a bigger shelter that looks like it has two poles. No idea on what the size or weight will be though.

Akicita

WKR
Seek Outside Red Cliff is a great option. I have almost 35 nights in mine so far this year and most likely another 30 or more to go. I think it would meet all your criteria.

Tent / Pole / Stakes 4 lbs 13 oz
Stove / Pipe / Damper / Bag 3 lbs 8 oz

[video=youtube;wlMgmvBcOtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMgmvBcOtc[/video]

Last edited:

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how comfortable you want to be at the trailhead I almost think two tents might be a better option. One canvas walled tent and one backpackable one like a kifaru sawtooth or tut or the seek outside equivalent. Ive used my sawtooth at the trailhead but if I was mostly doing trailhead camping I would probably bring a walled tent option most of the time.

OP
H

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how comfortable you want to be at the trailhead I almost think two tents might be a better option. One canvas walled tent and one backpackable one like a kifaru sawtooth or tut or the seek outside equivalent. Ive used my sawtooth at the trailhead but if I was mostly doing trailhead camping I would probably bring a walled tent option most of the time.
Maybe someday, but right a wall tent iseliminated because of lack of versatility. My budget allows me one stoved shelter so it must be something that i can pack out on foot as well as at the trailhead. The sawtooth, Cimarron, tut, etc dont seem to provide the headroom and living space that a tipi does. So if i had a wall tent id likely go with one of those options. I dont and wont in the near future so im thinking a 6 to 8 man tipi is my best option. However i know there are many different configurations out there so that is what prompted an inquiry to the roksliders.

OP
H

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
My initial thought before posting this thread was a 6 man tipi kifaru or seekoutside with a stove and 2 2 person nests from seekoutside. Plenty of personal living/sleeping room in each nest and some living space in the middle. Someone running something similar? I see the redcliff seems like a viable option as well. But just wonder if the 6 man tipi is worth a little weight penatly.

Last edited:
OP
H

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
you wont do much standing in a six man.

build a mock up around a pole and you will see.
The more i dig for pictures the more I get that feeling. I believe ChrisS was right in thinking the 8 man was the right tool for the job.
you wont do much standing in a six man.

build a mock up around a pole and you will see.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but just understand reasoning. You want a tent you can stand up in, have a stove, a nest and all sorts of other features. No issues, but my question is why? How much time are you planning on staying in your tent? I thought the purpose of the tent was to sleep in it and have minimal use due to being outside more? The bigger the tent, the heavier it gets, the bigger the stove needs to be to keep it warm, so it also gets heavier.

I'm not saying your thinking is wrong, I just think that if you are trying to have your shelter do double duties, you'd try to get it as light as possible, which may be getting a smaller shelter.

Just my thoughts.

OP
H

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but just understand reasoning. You want a tent you can stand up in, have a stove, a nest and all sorts of other features. No issues, but my question is why? How much time are you planning on staying in your tent? I thought the purpose of the tent was to sleep in it and have minimal use due to being outside more? The bigger the tent, the heavier it gets, the bigger the stove needs to be to keep it warm, so it also gets heavier.

I'm not saying your thinking is wrong, I just think that if you are trying to have your shelter do double duties, you'd try to get it as light as possible, which may be getting a smaller shelter.

Just my thoughts.
Youre absolutely right...but this set up would get some use for regular camping with the fam as well. Also, some places I hunt I dont have to pack in...so i can go back to camp during lunch and relax or what have you. Also in my late season mule deer hunts...it gets dark pretty early so a guy ends up hanging out in the tent for a few hours every night.

colersu22

WKR
Seek Outside Red Cliff is a great option. I have almost 35 nights in mine so far this year and most likely another 30 or more to go. I think it would meet all your criteria.

Tent / Pole / Stakes 4 lbs 13 oz
Stove / Pipe / Damper / Bag 3 lbs 8 oz

[video=youtube;wlMgmvBcOtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMgmvBcOtc[/video]

I was looking at this option for next season, it seems like a good value at $1250

That is what I was thinking you were probably alluding too, family camping options and later season hunts where you may end up spending more time in a tent. Makes complete sense now.

Budget appears to be a large factor in the decision here.
May I suggest that you look at used options?
I feel you could buy a used canvas solution for truck camping that would have more sq-ft, head room, etc.

And then look at a smaller used tipi for backcountry pack-in use.

I have no less than 6 different tent solutions for every situation, and I don't think I've broke your $1250 budget.

My 14x14 Beckel TT is perhaps my fav for truck/mule use.... $300
A used 10x14 Kodiak/Springbow would be another top pick for family use... I passed on one for $500.. add a stove/jack & your golden.

Used tent stoves... $100-200 depending on size/condition.
I have 4 stoves, 3 breakdown; Simms, Kni-co Tundra, a home built takedown, and a welded... the most expensive was $200.

The backcountry tipi shelter would be the hardest to find, but I've seen Ti-Goats, and others that I probably should've jump on.
But for backcountry use, I seem to use a 2man free-standing tent the most and my Mountainshelter LT & bivy bag the rest of the time.

IOW, look used and think outside the box.
Hunt'nFish

luke moffat

Super Moderator
A Kifaru 8 man tipi is gonna run you roughly $1200.

I agree with those above that suggest a two tent approach.

You can get a comfy base camp tent for the family that is stove compatible for $800 and will be a palace with 140 sq ft of all space you can stand in plus the giant vestibules.

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Then I would opt for a Seek Outside Cimmaron for true hike in backcountry hunts. Kinda the best of both worlds. If have found that if you try to make one shelter do it all it does nothing well. ;)

i suggest the same as the previous guys as well, 2 tents....
check out the cabbalas alakanak, just picked one up and got a stove for it as well, incredible how comfortable it is, i was tired of hauling my toy hauler around so i bought the tent(used) added a stove cabbalas had on sale, camp chef cylinder stove, very impressed with this setup, spent 1 week in idaho, rain , snow, hail, wind, it worked awesome....
great base camp tent
then get a lightweight option for pack in camping, seek outside, kifaru and others have great options

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I thought nests were used to keep bugs away from you. If you need a stove, bugs won't be a problem.

I agree on the 2-tent approach. My current 14x16 Davis canvas wall tent setup was less than $800 brand new. Unless it's getting down WELL below freezing, or it's a late season hunt with plenty of dark time in the tent, I just run a propane tank top heater that works very well.

Then when I spike out from base camp I just suck it up without a stove in a Copper Spur tent. Makes coming back to base camp that much more enjoyable.

rayporter

WKR
i tried twice to make an 8 man do the job. i sold both of them and now have a six and a 12 man among others. i think there is 5 different tents stored around here, and maybe six.

but an 8 it a good choice for middle ground and versatility and you do have to start somewhere.