Shelters

Justin,
Why'd ya go to the 8 man?

I just decided to try out a bigger tipi. Just the idea of a slightly bigger tipi. I liked both and really liked the 6 man when I had it. But the 8 man is nice for the extra room. The 8 man perfect for 4 guys with gear. Could sleep more but lots of room for gear and guys with 4.

Something about wanting bigger tipis. Someday when I have the funds I want to purchase a 16 man just to have a hotel.haha

Mike P

FNG
for you guys with the Kifaru's do you use the pegs that come with them or have you swapped them out for lighter ones?

I used a buddies Paratipi on a sheep hunt in Canmore and it worked great but i wondered about the size and weight of the pegs that come with it...could likely use some golite pegs or an equivalent and save weight and space???

dotman

WKR
My supertarp didn't come with pegs (i didn't order the kit) but i use msr groundhogs for all major anchor points and then some cheap pegs for the guy lines and such.

for you guys with the Kifaru's do you use the pegs that come with them or have you swapped them out for lighter ones?

I used a buddies Paratipi on a sheep hunt in Canmore and it worked great but i wondered about the size and weight of the pegs that come with it...could likely use some golite pegs or an equivalent and save weight and space???

I use the kifaru dura pegs and msr groundhog stakes. Nails for frozen ground

I have used both the dura pegs and have also included some of REI groundhog look alike. They seem to be exactly like the groundhogs without the hole for the string loop. They only cost a dollar a piece and for that price i can drill my own 3/16 hole in them and add some paracord.

JG358

WKR
Yes the super tarp foot print is huge for its weight!

DSC_3049.jpg

What size stove is that? Looks to big to be a para stove.

Last edited:

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
What size stove is that? Looks to big to be a para stove.

He said earlier in this thread that it is a medium.

Justin, I have a house down 126. We actually got burned out in the high meadow fire in 2000. I moved in a modular home on my property there. We moved back to Texas, due to most of my work was here anyway. I will send you a P.M. When I am going back up to the property there. I would like very much to meet you.

Yea it is a medium. I explained why it is a medium. I hardly ever use a stove in my super tarp. Only for winter solo camping do I use the stove.
He said earlier in this thread that it is a medium.

Justin, I have a house down 126. We actually got burned out in the high meadow fire in 2000. I moved in a modular home on my property there. We moved back to Texas, due to most of my work was here anyway. I will send you a P.M. When I am going back up to the property there. I would like very much to meet you.

Ok sounds good!

JG358

WKR
Yea it is a medium. I explained why it is a medium. I hardly ever use a stove in my super tarp. Only for winter solo camping do I use the stove.

I figured... I was just hoping you were going to say it was your large stove. That way I wouldnt have to order a second stove.

6x6

FNG
Congrats on the Ti Goat. They are awesome shelters. I love my 6.5, even though it's for sale. I'm upsizing.

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider
I have too many shelters, but I like matching the shelter to the trip.

For a true bivy hunts;
2 years ago I used an ID Unishelter Bivy and a 5x8 tarp. Loved this setup as the bivy is bulletproof but this setup was a bit heavy at 41ounces. Last year I used Gossamer Gear's "The One" and a Tarptent Rainbow. The One is superlight at 16 ounces but with all the rain we had last year the condensation was a bit much and also when the weather is nasty, muddy, etc I wanted something a little more robust with more vestibule storage. I currently use this shelter on backpack fishing trips where I need an enclosed bugproof shelter. The Rainbow I ended up using for most of the remainder of the year, for me it's faster and easier to set up and offers a nice "porch" for bad weather and more storage room. The last weekend of the season I decided to pack in a basecamp and used my Black Diamond Lighthouse with vestibule and this felt like a palace for one , but again at 71 ounces, too heavy for a solo shelter imo.
This last weekend I used my Golite SL-5 with Kifaru stove and this always feels like a small condo for me and if it weren't for the excessive weight of the stove I would bivy hunt with this setup. Might need a lighter stove?
This year for true bivy hunts I am planning on using a GoLite SL-3 (29 oz. with stakes, no pole as I usually take trekking poles) with a TI Goat Raven Omni Bivy. I also might pair this bivy with an ID 8x10 tarp for an ultralight (for me) 27 ounce setup. I will also at some point during the season use my Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 even though this setup is a bit heavy at 47 ounces, there is plenty of storage as I got the older model with 2 vestibule storage areas. I used this setup 2 weeks ago for the first time when packing back into the Lost Creek Wilderness area and really liked the shelter, just not the weight. The Tarptent Rainbow at 37 ounces will also be used again this year for certain trips as it is one of my favorite shelters for many reasons.

Future shelters? Hopefully none, but i know better. I would like a Tarptent Double Rainbow for when my wife goes as this will replace the Lighthouse shelter and give her her own entry door and save some pack weight.