Shiras Game Bag Size & #

fishslap

WKR
Looking for experienced input on the size and number of game bags to have in my kill kit for Colorado Shiras bull moose. I use TAG bags and for elk I normally carry four 24x44 for the quarters and one or two 14x34 for loose meat. In my inventory, I have nine 24x44, four 14x34, and two 14x20.

If I kill close to a good trail, I’m going to try and keep the quarters on the bone and get them out on a game cart, which is possible in a few targeted areas. If not, then I’ll debone. I’m wondering if I should get 2-4 of the 28x60 and some more 14x34 or 18x30 boned out bags. What mix would you carry in your pack for this scenario?

I’ll have the remainder at the truck that I can swap out or finish deboning on the return trip if it works out to get a quarter off whole. Yes I’ve done gutless and full debone but would prefer to leave on the bone IF the pack out location permits.
Tagging @Larry Bartlett

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
bone in for moose I'd go with a six pack of 28X60"

For deboning meat: the 18X30 bags holds 50-lbs per bag, so you'd want 10-12 ea.

For a mix of a few, i'd keep bag sizes small enough that when heavy with meat you can move and transport easily in 50-lb junks, otherwise leave on the bone for easier handling and storage.

Hope this helps

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
bone in for moose I'd go with a six pack of 28X60"

For deboning meat: the 18X30 bags holds 50-lbs per bag, so you'd want 10-12 ea.

For a mix of a few, i'd keep bag sizes small enough that when heavy with meat you can move and transport easily in 50-lb junks, otherwise leave on the bone for easier handling and storage.

Hope this helps
Thanks Larry. If I put the hams and shoulders in the big bags (x4), how many 18x30 do you think I need for the rest of the meat boned out plus heart? Been a long time user of your bags. I just wish they were marten proof;)

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Just my experience, but the hind quarters on my Shiras cow were close to 4 feet long and 82 lbs apiece. Fronts were 3 feet or better and 62 lbs apiece. All the other meat (boned) was around 120 I'd say. This was a giant, old cow, bull will be 25% more I'm guessing.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
Just my experience, but the hind quarters on my Shiras cow were close to 4 feet long and 82 lbs apiece. Fronts were 3 feet or better and 62 lbs apiece. All the other meat (boned) was around 120 I'd say. This was a giant, old cow, bull will be 25% more I'm guessing.
Good to know. Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Looking for experienced input on the size and number of game bags to have in my kill kit for Colorado Shiras bull moose. I use TAG bags and for elk I normally carry four 24x44 for the quarters and one or two 14x34 for loose meat. In my inventory, I have nine 24x44, four 14x34, and two 14x20.

If I kill close to a good trail, I’m going to try and keep the quarters on the bone and get them out on a game cart, which is possible in a few targeted areas. If not, then I’ll debone. I’m wondering if I should get 2-4 of the 28x60 and some more 14x34 or 18x30 boned out bags. What mix would you carry in your pack for this scenario?

I’ll have the remainder at the truck that I can swap out or finish deboning on the return trip if it works out to get a quarter off whole. Yes I’ve done gutless and full debone but would prefer to leave on the bone IF the pack out location permits.
Tagging @Larry Bartlett
Any off the shelf moose bag set will work fun for you. Tag bags, argali, caribou gear all make a good set. I think I have a set of each of them at this point.

I used the Alaska Game Bag roll-on game bags for all of my quarters. Worked great and stretched around the quarters well. Would recommend if you are planning on transporting on the bone. Deboned might not work as well due to their stretch. Cheap but functional for the one time in my live I’ll need bags for quarters that size.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I used the Alaska Game Bag roll-on game bags for all of my quarters. Worked great and stretched around the quarters well. Would recommend if you are planning on transporting on the bone. Deboned might not work as well due to their stretch. Cheap but functional for the one time in my live I’ll need bags for quarters that size.
Thanks. I’m set on TAG bags and was looking more for size and number needed.

AKDoc

WKR
4 ea 18x30s should do it nicely with 4 ea 28X60s bags. That gives you 200 lbs of meat bag coverage for neck, tendies, b/s and scraps.
Right on LB...done exactly that for many years (as you already know LOL)!

Best of luck to you fishslap for a safe and wonderful adventure!

SquatchN

FNG
I got my Argali bags in this week. The quarter bags go from the floor to my chest. It was a great reminder that I need to add more weight to my pack while training.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thanks. Good data. Did you bone out all four quarters in the field?
No. I shot my bull before dark and even on Sept 12 it got ridiculously cold in a hurry for whatever reason, so we moved as quickly as we could and left everything whole. It was just after 8pm when my headlamp flashed over to my bow and it was completely covered in frost already, with the crystals all shining bright. Put one quarter in each of the big bags and then the rest of the meat in the two smaller bags. I did saw off the legs though before packing.

wytx

WKR
Cut those lower legs and hooves off, a lot less weight to haul out that way.
We always have a few canvas bags in the truck or camp as well.

WRO

WKR
They aren't much bigger than a mature bull elk. Hams on my bull were about the size of a mature bull elk ham. The difference in my mind was the shoulders and amount of loose meat.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got my Argali bags in this week. The quarter bags go from the floor to my chest. It was a great reminder that I need to add more weight to my pack while training.
There argali bags are probably the best bags out there.