Shooting off Tripods w/ Center Columns

I currently use an RRs tripod but I was looking to expand to a tripod that was easier to set up for glassing and quicker shooting in the mountains and midwest. I bought the gen 2 outdoorsman with pan head gen 2. Per the recommendation from their rep, they said go with that standard size and get the telescoping center column. I asked if this would be an issue shooting off of when fully extended and he said "no". Does any have experience shooting off the center column or should should I go back and get the tall so the center column is extended less?

Thanks!

The center column height isn't as much an issue as the "hub" of that type of tripod compared to one without a center column. With that said, the tall Outdoorsmans would be slightly more stable at a given height than the medium.

The Outdoorsmans is one of the best but it's not going to be the same to shoot off of as an RRS.

I would focus on different techniques vs switching the tripod.

The center column height isn't as much an issue as the "hub" of that type of tripod compared to one without a center column. With that said, the tall Outdoorsmans would be slightly more stable at a given height than the medium.

The Outdoorsmans is one of the best but it's not going to be the same to shoot off of as an RRS.

I would focus on different techniques vs switching the tripod.
Justin, I appreciate your response. I think that is what I wanted to hear. the feed back I have been hearing from alot of people I shot PRS years ago was" it wont be stable enough or handle a recoil well". My final question is, would go with a shorter tripod, and a telescoping center column? Or taller tripod? I guess the bigger questions is, how often do you shoot off your tripod at max height in hunting scenarios in western hunting?

Never actually shot off a tripod but my experience with glassing says tripods without center columns are far more stable than tripods with.

Just as with glassing - a column won’t be as stable - the taller the column the more wiggle.
And the play between the column and the sleeve that connects it to the rest of the tripod always has at least some play in it that becomes noticeable. Maybe that's what you meant.

And the play between the column and the sleeve that connects it to the rest of the tripod always has at least some play in it that becomes noticeable. Maybe that's what you meant.
I was just agreeing with what you said :)

I shoot off a tripod a lot. I don't use a center column but I also carry a heavy tripod and shoot a bunch of competitions.

Quite frankly, shooting off a center column on a well-built tripod (that's the key, none of the lightweight tripods count here) it's going to be more stable than shooting off a monopod, tree branch, fence post or backpack.

I shoot off a tripod a lot. I don't use a center column but I also carry a heavy tripod and shoot a bunch of competitions.

Quite frankly, shooting off a center column on a well-built tripod (that's the key, none of the lightweight tripods count here) it's going to be more stable than shooting off a monopod, tree branch, fence post or backpack.
Do you have experience with the outdoorsman tripods?

I try to stay away from using the center column to shoot off of but if needed its there, obviously its going to be less stable but for closer shots, I'd go for it.

I've been shooting off of tripods for over 10 years now. I started shooting off a center column but will never do it again. I'll glass off a center column but I won't shoot off a center column

I've been shooting off of tripods for over 10 years now. I started shooting off a center column but will never do it again. I'll glass off a center column but I won't shoot off a center column
So my issue is a lot of these tripods do not support shooting from the standing due to height. Do you just compensate and get into a position where you can use the tripod in a lower shooting position?

So my issue is a lot of these tripods do not support shooting from the standing due to height. Do you just compensate and get into a position where you can use the tripod in a lower shooting position?
Yes. Shooting standing off a tripod would be fairly rare in a hunting scenario in my eyes. Unless you were in crazy tall sagebrush

I'm 6'4". I have a very tall tripod. Wanna say without the ballhead, its like 60" at max height. Its a 3 section leg so its not flimsy like a 4 or 5 section will be.

I've actually shot two elk and a pronghorn standing off a tripod. Sage was just tall enough in one circumstance and another I had to see over a knob.

I have a couple different tripods that have different overall heights. You just have to adjust your shooting to their height or get one that is the height you want.

Yes. Shooting standing off a tripod would be fairly rare in a hunting scenario in my eyes. Unless you were in crazy tall sagebrush

Shooting coyotes at night from the edge of a field or middle of a field. Keeps the gun accessible and horizontal. Drop my thermal and switch to the rifle

Back