Short Action Cartridge in a Long Action?

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
I'm really trying to stay away from all "Magnum" calibers for this rifle. For this gun, it's not about driving the biggest bullet as fast as I can. I have my 300 Win Mag that'll do that with 215 Bergers (Well, once I finish developing a load for it....).

cfcb1a900bb5ccfd3bf34b657a8c458c.jpg

What I'm going for - mid weight. Not Kimber light, but let's say in that 7.5 - 8lb range scoped and ready to go. 22-24" barrel, no brake. I want it to be shootable, portable, without pounding me with recoil at that weight. I'm not looking for a "Laser" or barrel burner. So I think cartridges like the 26 Nosler, WSMs are out.

Caliber wise - I'm leaning towards the 6mm because I don't have anything between .308 and .22LR. That'd be good for coyotes, deer at a longer range than my Kimber, varmints if wanted, some shooting / tinkering at the range. And, looks like I should be able to get them in the 3000fps range no problem.

Would rather not deal with necking up/down or fire forming brass, so decent brass availability is a factor.

Currently thinking along the lines of 6mm Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x284, 6.5-06, .257 Roberts, 25-06, etc.

When I build the rifle - it'd probably be a carbon barrel spec'd with appropriate throat and twist for whatever cartridge I choose.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Over the years I’ve owned several.243, 6mm, a 257 Roberts and a couple 25-06. They all had good point and few bad. To pick one to build and have, it would have to be the 25-06. It’s light enough for small varmints yet has the punch to ethically take larger deer. It would be my top contender for a medium caliber all around rifle.

R H Clark

FNG
Since you already have a magnum gun with magnum bolt face, I wouldn't go through getting a new bolt and trying to modify it into what it isn't. If you just really don't want a magnum then I would buy another action or gun. A new Remington action isn't all that expensive, especially considering you will need a bolt and other modifications too.

You might look into building a 6.5 PRC from the gun you have. The PRC requires a magnum bolt face and isn't the barrel burner like the 6.5-284 is.

TauPhi111

WKR
OK. If you're really wanting a short action 6mm round for deer down to varmints and is lighter in recoil, and you already have a LA with a mag boltface, then the answer is clear...240 Weatherby. Take my word on this one. It's an awesome round. Load it with good heavy long bullets for long range or big game, or light bullets for light recoil and varmints. You won't be disappointed. You'll have all the velocity you want without having to redline anything.

Edit: My mistake, the 240 weatherby does not use a mag bolt face. But the 243 WSSM does! If you can find brass for it that is an option. Or if you go with a standard bolt face, the 240 is still an awesome round.

Last edited:
I'm not way long in the tooth reloading wise like some of the old carps on here but learning from 08 and 2012 it sucks ass being in the same race as all the preppers for components

Building it out from the start.

Lapua brass
Hornady bthp
And a headstamp that's not finicky with charges.

Full on do all caliber it's hard to ignore the 6.5x55... 80cents for brass and a .7 BC bullet for 30cents to your door. Ur already at the long action so might as well utilize it.

There's plenty of reloading data at the 45psi mark for old krags that you can use to keep shot cost down and keep the barrel good forever. Or push it harder then the creedmoor and really have a wind cheater

My biggest problem with the 6.5 is that there aren't any "cheap" bullets to be had like the 6mm.. and also ur long action rules out the he wonder 6br

Although I think the 140gr bthp from hornady can be found pretty reasonable and .58bc is nice for a volume shooter bullet.

And if you want real light on the pad accuracy loads at 500-700 yards practice 107 tmk would rival 105gr out of a 243 pretty nicely.

This is all hearsay, don't own a 6.5x55.. but pen to paper it's ur huckleberry