Short Action Rifle Build

axeforce6

WKR
I have a 20” 300 wsm I built on a short action. I shoot 185 bergers at 2900fps. It will cover a lot of ground for me and could really be a do it all rifle if I only had one. That would be my recommendation.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you source your brass?
Keep an eye on unknown munitions and a few others they will get some in from time to time ADG brass is what I found at Unknown munitions. They used to allow back order then yours shipped first when they got an order in. Check to see if they have any or still allow back order. Creedmore sports I think will also get ADG brass from time to time. Also watch forums they come for sale every once in a while.
7SAUM is a great caliber with lower recoil in mine running 160 accubonds Around 3045fps. Also shoots the 175 berger well too. Built mine for an elk hunt next year and so far doing load development I love it

OP
O

OpsMan

Lil-Rokslider
My Tikka 7 SAUM is too much fun lately with 175 ELDX. SWFA 3-9.

Old reliable is Tikka .260 shooting 129 SSTs. That rifle has been a deer/elk/coyote machine since I built it. SWFA fixed 6.

Built your rifle off a Tikka and throw a SWFA on there and you can’t go wrong on chambering.
Built my 22 Creedmoor off a Tikka and threw it in a MDT chassis. Amazing set up.

OP
O

OpsMan

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the input. Cool to see so many have went shorter barrels on the WSM’s and Saums. Have to love a handy rifle in the woods.

WKR

WKR
7mm08 fits nice and is good for the ranges you listed. 25 prc or 25 creed is good but the heaviest bullet you will find is 135 grain.

B23

WKR
If anyone is looking Blue Collar Reloading has both 6.5 & 7mm SAUM ADG brass in stock right now.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Not much that 160 AB cruising that speed couldn't handle. I have a hankering for 7 SAUM. I've got a 7mm-08 and 280 Remington, which makes it kinda "unnecessary", but still interesting and fun to dream about. Thinking a light mountain rifle will a bit more zip than the 7-08 and a LOT lighter than my 280 Rem.
Do it. 😎 I have a Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08 with a 20” barrel. It shoots 140 grain Accubonds 2850 fps and 120 grain NBTs 3000 fps.

Can you really have too many rifles? 🤔🤣🤣

WKR
We use 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5x47 for most of those type duties. If I had those bases covered, I'd either go 7mm PRC in a Seekins rifle or would upgrade scopes on my current rigs if needed for better dialing reliability.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
If anyone is looking Blue Collar Reloading has both 6.5 & 7mm SAUM ADG brass in stock right now.

Thanks, I was just going to post that too.
Maybe now with all the 7 PRC hubbub we will have a little more 7 SAUM brass available....

fatbacks

WKR
Where do you source your brass?

I bought 200 pieces of ADG brass before it became hard to find. Still going strong on third loading.

I’m running a 20” barrel. Shooting 175 eldx @ about 2740. Could go faster but I think I’ll have good brass life with with this load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
Looking for suggestions on which short action caliber to build my next rifle.

Rifle will be used for whitetail and elk. Longest shot will be 400-500 yards. Will be hunting suppressed so will likely go with a 20-21” barrel.

First thought was to go with a 270WSM with a 1-8” twist barrel. Shoot 130 grain for whitetail and 165 ablr for elk.

Problem is brass availability. I’ve thought about 7 saum also. 6.8 western being supported by Browning/Winchester throws it out as I’m not big on Winchester ammo.

I have a dream about Hornady introducing a true short action cartridge that will shoot medium to heavy for caliber 270/7mm cartridges that would have components readily available.

Any suggestions?
If you're after a short action in 27cal, look at the 277 fury.