Short Barrel 25-06 Bad Idea?

Boltgun

FNG
I’m considering rebarreling a Tikka T3x Lite 30-06 to 25-06. I shoot exclusively suppressed however, and like a short barrel. I don’t reload, so I’m stuck with factory ammo, but Hornady makes some good options and I’d likely be running their ELDX.

The general internet consensus is that 25-06 does poorly in short barrels due to slower burning powders. The internet also thinks hot barrels string, and magnums are needed for elk, so I’m looking for some data based info.

Is factory 25-06 actually loaded with slower powders? Is it going to be worse than say, 6.5 Creedmoor in a 18 or 20” barrel?

Will a 25-06 be loaded with slower powders than say a 308? Probably. But that doesn't mean it wont work fine with a 18-20" barrel and a can.

A 6 creedmoor would do the same thing with factory ammo and be more fun though.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am with Gypsy. Run a factory 6 creed, get the same weight bullets as a factory 25 cal and plenty of speed out of a shorter barrel and short action. Better BC with a 6mm and 110 vs 115 25 cal. And, less recoil with less powder. There is insufficient benefit for the extra recoil, IMO.

My rule of thumb is pick the bullet weight you want to shoot and then pick the caliber based upon the highest BC bullet. So, a 110 gets you a 6mm, a 130-150 gets you a 6.5 and 170-190 then a 7mm and 200+ a 300 mag of some flavor. Velocity is just a function of how far you want to shoot. So, a 6.5 creed vs 6.5 pcr is just how far you want to shoot to get better ballistics.

Your 25-06 will be just fine if you rebarrel. IMO For the cost just sell and get a new rifle rather than rebarrel into a short 25-06.

I run a 25 SST with 133s and they do fine in a 21 inch barrel.

Everything is just a little better or a little worse, when it comes to short barrels and such. Short barrels are a little less effective, yeah but the velocity loss for every inch stays pretty close down to 20 inches as far as I have seen. Abraham Lincoln said not to believe in everything you read on the internet about slow powders and 18-20 inch barrels.