Short barrel rifle options for suppressor at light mountain weight?

Awesome set up. Add a stock for $700 and I don't think anything can touch that for that price
You really can't beat a semi-custom tikka on price right now.

But if you're looking for truly light weight, the actions are a bit on the heavy side compared to other light options. But the price goes way up.

This is what I did. I bought a stainless T3x in 300wsm for $800, then shipped it to Thunderbeast to have them chop the barrel to 20" and install their facemount brake for my Ultra 7. $120 for the service, $40 insured shipping each way. Shoots factory ammo right at 1moa all day and the price was right at $1,000 total.

Awesome set up. Add a stock for $700 and I don't think anything can touch that for that price

Pretty much what I did. Bought a Lite Compact for $579, spun on a 20" PROOF CF barrel in .308 Win, threaded 5/8-24. Put a 7" can on it. Put it in a McMillan Game Warden w/ Edge fill. NF NXS 2.5-10. Pretty sweet little package, I think.

AB Raptor 30 cal 8 stack. Nice and light and reasonably short and sounds incredible. I think it's like 8 oz and 6.3 inches or something like that. The Fieldcraft is wearing a Rugged Radiant until my AB Raptor 10 stack is approved.

I have a Tikka in 300 WSM with a 20” McGowen barrel. I also have a Howa in 6.5 cm that is getting cut to 16.5” and is going in Peak 44 Blacktooth stock. Both guns will get use with an AB 8-stack suppressor with a 3” reflex. Still waiting on the ATF approval. What I like about their cans is the light weight and modularity.
Where are you guys buying the AB's?

I have a Tikka in 300 WSM with a 20” McGowen barrel. I also have a Howa in 6.5 cm that is getting cut to 16.5” and is going in Peak 44 Blacktooth stock. Both guns will get use with an AB 8-stack suppressor with a 3” reflex. Still waiting on the ATF approval. What I like about their cans is the light weight and modularity.
I really like the AB suppressors, but the barrel length restrictions is the reason I don't own one.

What bullet, velocity, and powder are you guys running with the factory tikka 300 WSM’s cut to 20”?

CA FFT Titanium coming in at 4.8lbs with a 20” CF barrel. I’m looking at one hard for my Sig Titanium can.

March Scopes Shorty 1.5-15X42 and rings + 9” Suppressor + 6.5 PRC Rifle = 7.5 lbs

Checks a lot of boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a Fieldcraft and a few Tikkas I would prob just got the tikka route for the $. Use the difference to get one in .223 to practice with.

Eurooptic has $700 SS 6.5CM Tikkas

The Tikka Veil comes threaded 5/8-24 and some calibers are available with 20" barrel. It's not quite under 6lbs, but has some added features over a regular T3x such as cerakote and heavier fluted barrel. Maybe not a bargain compared to a stainless Tikka, but its nice to not have to worry about how to thread the thinner T3x barrel. I have one ordering in 30-06 to use use with an Ultra 7 as a do it all rifle.

What bullet, velocity, and powder are you guys running with the factory tikka 300 WSM’s cut to 20”?
Have not started loading for the WSM yet. Initial plan was 200-20x Bergers. The plan on the 6.5 is to use 130 TMK or 140 ELDM. I recently got some Lapua Scenar-L in 136 gr for my 6.5 and like them. May consider trying the 175 and 200 gr 30 cal versions.

I really like the AB suppressors, but the barrel length restrictions is the reason I don't own one.
I think they specify 22” on 30 cal magnums, but that covers a lot of ground. I spoke with them about my WSM and they did not have a problem with 20”.

Have you looked at the Browning X Bolt SR? Its made specifically for suppressors. I dont know much about them but may be worth a look.

Proof Elevation in 308 is light, handy and has a 20” barrel. Have one myself, which I really enjoy, and have a can for it in jail that I’m looking forward to putting on it.

It a Bighorn Origin action too, so you can swap barrels around for other prefits if you’re so inclined.

I know this thread is a month old but I've been on the same hunt (light-ish hunting rifle with threaded barrel). I actually wanted a short barrel which most guys don't seem to prefer, but especially with a can on the end, I'm willing to give up a little muzzle velocity to not be snagging every branch I pass under. I'm not reloading, so .308 makes sense for me for cheap ammo.

Debated getting a Tikka and having it chopped/threaded but ultimately to go with the Cross when I found out an FFL buddy could get me one for $1300 out the door. I think the folding stock will be a nice feature for pack-ins and the shorter barrel keeps it manageable with a can. With a NXS 2.5-10 and a 16 oz can, it should come in right at 9 pounds. If I ever draw a goat tag or something I can leave the can at home to get it right under 8#s.

I'm have just started to reload and I decided to work with my kids tikka compact 7-08 with a 20" barrel. Factory federal premium 140g nab do 2750 and so far I have worked up a load with berger vldh ( can't find 7mm local) that hit 2760 using aa2520. I think 2800fps is achievable with 140g pills in 20" and imo that will kill just about anything in North America.

I know this thread is a month old but I've been on the same hunt (light-ish hunting rifle with threaded barrel). I actually wanted a short barrel which most guys don't seem to prefer, but especially with a can on the end, I'm willing to give up a little muzzle velocity to not be snagging every branch I pass under. I'm not reloading, so .308 makes sense for me for cheap ammo.

Debated getting a Tikka and having it chopped/threaded but ultimately to go with the Cross when I found out an FFL buddy could get me one for $1300 out the door. I think the folding stock will be a nice feature for pack-ins and the shorter barrel keeps it manageable with a can. With a NXS 2.5-10 and a 16 oz can, it should come in right at 9 pounds. If I ever draw a goat tag or something I can leave the can at home to get it right under 8#s.
I have a .308 cross and I really do enjoy the rifle but imo it's to picky on factory ammo. 180g shoot great with the 1in9 barrel but velocity is that of a 30-30 lol. I'm getting 2560 from hornady black 165g amax and they have also been the most accurate to date.

I'm have just started to reload and I decided to work with my kids tikka compact 7-08 with a 20" barrel. Factory federal premium 140g nab do 2750 and so far I have worked up a load with berger vldh ( can't find 7mm local) that hit 2760 using aa2520. I think 2800fps is achievable with 140g pills in 20" and imo that will kill just about anything in North America.
How do you like aa2520? I've looked at it, but as a ball powder I've been concerned with wild temp instability. It does post good numbers in 308 sized cases.

How do you like aa2520? I've looked at it, but as a ball powder I've been concerned with wild temp instability. It does post good numbers in 308 sized cases.
This was my first try with it and I only loaded 10. I've heard it can be temp sensitive but that's all internet mumbo jumbo. It's getting cold here so we will see. Btw the 2760fps was 42g 2520, ppu brass, cci250, 140g bold, 2.800 coal

Back