Shotgun optics with slugs

In my state I hunt white tails with a shotgun and I’m putting together a new set up. Picking everyone’s brain in case I’m missing a good option. We use slugs for white tail in nj, shots are 100 yards or less, generally less. Looking for a low mag scope. Illumination is a must for what I’d like. I can use irons on the barrel but prefer an optic with a crosshair. I’m thinking either sig 2.5-8 Sierra 3 or primary arms slx 1-6 with the nova dot. Magnification is less of a concern as long at it starts out very low, but sometimes it’s nice to have alittle bit over just a dot. Any thoughts on lpvo vs a 3-9 or something similar. No need to spend a lot for this application as long as it’ll hold up to 12 gauge recoil.

Most LPVO's will have too short an eye relief for a 12 ga slug, Ive never been scoped, but came close. Went back with a 2x7x32.....We have some shotgun only areas here in Tenn at Ft Campbell. Rest of the state you can use pretty much anything lol. Good luck

OP
A
T
Most LPVO's will have too short an eye relief for a 12 ga slug, Ive never been scoped, but came close. Went back with a 2x7x32.....We have some shotgun only areas here in Tenn at Ft Campbell. Rest of the state you can use pretty much anything lol. Good luck
he 2-7’s I was finding didn’t have illumination. Closest thing that I found was that sig sierra3 2.5-8 but you make a valid point about eye relief.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Red dot. No magnification needed. With everything under 100 yards you'll never use a variable nor will you have the time to adjust it in many cases. I'd go something short and easy to get acquisition on like a Vortex Crossfire or a Sig Romeo 5.

OP
A
Red dot. No magnification needed. With everything under 100 yards you'll never use a variable nor will you have the time to adjust it in many cases. I'd go something short and easy to get acquisition on like a Vortex Crossfire or an Sig Romeo 5.
That might be the direction I go and I agree magnification is not needed at that distance and I wouldn’t plan to be above the lowest mag setting ever but I was seeing what’s out there in the current market with alittle magnification and still has illumination for low light shots not to lose an aiming point

One of my favorite slug gun scopes was the Nikon slug hunter. I have one on an 870 I use on public land at the moment, very nice scope and the perfect amount of eye relief. They can still be found on ebay and forums for around $200.

OP
A
One of my favorite slug gun scopes was the Nikon slug hunter. I have one on an 870 I use on public land at the moment, very nice scope and the perfect amount of eye relief. They can still be found on ebay and forums for around $200.
I forgot about those, seems like there hasn’t been too much to fill that niche.

I know and it's a shame, I tried a couple different vortex scopes on mine and just couldn't find one that gave me the eye relief I wanted. I will say I have used the bushnell banner straight 4x with the circle x reticle. It worked really well for me I moved it to a mizzleloader and for 100 yds and in there good glass for pretty darn cheap.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
The Redfield IER 1-4 was a popular choice at one time. I just so happen to have one in the classifieds that was on an 870. Sorry if this is bad form…I also recommend the Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
I forgot about those, seems like there hasn’t been too much to fill that niche.
I have one of those on a 308 BLR that I bought from an old retired preacher about 10 years ago. He said he went into a gun shop and told em he wanted a nice lever action with a small scope, as he wanted to take up hunting. They zeroed it for him and he hunted 3x and never saw a deer. I've checked zero and taken it hunting 3x also. I already had a few BLRs when I picked that one up.
Nice little scope, but no illumination.

Ive been looking at the Crimson Trace Slugger. The scope has I think 5" of eye relief. You sight it in at 50 then the bdc is supposedly accurate out to 200 yards. But it is a 3x9x40 with no illumination. The illumination is what led me to try my lpvo, but then I realized at dusk it sucked and then I was constantly worried about the 12 ga sabot slugs burying the scope in my forehead lol.

Shraggs

WKR
On my Michigan slug and MZ I’ve had great success with credo and accupoints in 1-4 and 1-6.

Also swfa 6, but likely not see one in any time soon.

OP
A
It
Ive been looking at the Crimson Trace Slugger. The scope has I think 5" of eye relief. You sight it in at 50 then the bdc is supposedly accurate out to 200 yards. But it is a 3x9x40 with no illumination. The illumination is what led me to try my lpvo, but then I realized at dusk it sucked and then I was constantly worried about the 12 ga sabot slugs burying the scope in my forehead lol.
seems that it’s harder to find an illuminated model then I thought. Anyone have any experience with the sig Sierra3 that I mentioned above. Eye relief is about 4.25 at 2.5 power which it’ll almost always be used at and that is illuminated. That crimson trace does look good just wish there was illumination. Maybe I have to give that up or go the dot route.

KenLee

WKR
That does fit the bill pretty close, eye relief might be alittle tight though for a slug gun.
I've shot a 300wsm with 3.5 inch eye relief on scope the last 3 seasons with 26 dead deer and a truck load of coyotes without any issues. It probably kicks as much as your muzzleloader

OP
A
I've shot a 300wsm with 3.5 inch eye relief on scope the last 3 seasons with 26 dead deer and a truck load of coyotes without any issues. It probably kicks as much as your muzzleloader
You may have a point, I should check the eye relief on the scope I use with my 300PRC for reference. A slug gun isn’t recoiling more then that.

I will toss in a few thoughts:

• I built my slug gun - a 12 Ga 870 with a cantilever barrel - just before slug bolt guns really became popular. If I were gonna do it again today, I would go 20 Ga bolt gun
  • mine wears an old Nikon 3-9 slug hunter. 3x is fine for up close. For longer, It is plenty of magnification and I don’t mind having the 9x and the bdc, though I haven’t taken a shot over 100 yards.
  • If I did it over, I would get something similar, but with illum and keep it mid range as far as price. I don’t slug hunt enough to spend a $1000 or more on glass for this gun.
  • even at a 100 yards you will have 3-4 inches of drop. know your hold over if you go with a red dot
  • last thought, if you find a slug that yours likes, get a bunch. Mine likes Remington sabots, which were VERY hard to find for a while.

OP
A
I’ve been using a pump with a rifled barrel and irons for awhile now. Just got a new semi auto with a cantilever barrel which will be my go to from here on out so I was figuring out a new set up that will be superior to what I used to use. For this I see no reason for anything high dollar just needs to be reasonably rugged and still provide a good sighting solution.
I will toss in a few thoughts:

• I built my slug gun - a 12 Ga 870 with a cantilever barrel - just before slug bolt guns really became popular. If I were gonna do it again today, I would go 20 Ga bolt gun
  • mine wears an old Nikon 3-9 slug hunter. 3x is fine for up close. For longer, It is plenty of magnification and I don’t mind having the 9x and the bdc, though I haven’t taken a shot over 100 yards.
  • If I did it over, I would get something similar, but with illum and keep it mid range as far as price. I don’t slug hunt enough to spend a $1000 or more on glass for this gun.
  • even at a 100 yards you will have 3-4 inches of drop. know your hold over if you go with a red dot
  • last thought, if you find a slug that yours likes, get a bunch. Mine likes Remington sabots, which were VERY hard to find for a while.