Shotgun vs rifle, near sighted

praisehim

FNG
I'm near kinda sighted and don't like wearing glasses. I can see clearly up to 15ft and see in moderate quality up to 200ft. Would a rifle with a scope or a shotgun be better to hunt with assuming I can see the creature and know for a fact what it is

jimh406

WKR
I agree, I don't know how the scope will help unless someone points out the animal to you.

How about getting a special prescription for hunting purposes? For instance, I'm far sighted, and I'm completely fine with a scope. Therefore, I don't wear glasses for hunting with a scope. Your eye doctor could possibly do something like that for you.

I agree, I don't know how the scope will help unless someone points out the animal to you.

How about getting a special prescription for hunting purposes? For instance, I'm far sighted, and I'm completely fine with a scope. Therefore, I don't wear glasses for hunting with a scope. Your eye doctor could possibly do something like that for you.
Go to the range and shoot and see what your ethical capabilities are. I feel like this is a question only you can answer for yourself.

Rich M

WKR
The go to the range thing - buy some cardboard deer targets - there used to be a place that sold life size cardboard deer cutouts. We used to use em for archery.

That would give you a perspective on seeing the deer, and how far you can see em.

You should hunt with someone, figure out some tap signals and have him or her point and direct you into shooting. Sounds like shotgun & buckshot kind of hunting. Tungsten buckshot is expensive and hard to get but will be your best bet.

I grew up with some guys and their dad had macular degeneration and he would only pheasant hunt after a while - he could see the birds against the sky but he stopped deer hunting. Everything was shades of grey from what i understood. Real nice guy tho.

Best wishes to getting this figured out.

Honyock

WKR
Look at lasik. Best money I ever spent was getting my eyes fixed. Not to sound like a jerk, but if I couldn't see more than 200 feet, I would never shoot beyond 200 feet. I don't shoot at deer "hoping" to hit one.