Shrek's armed camping trip 2015 ;)

Shrek

WKR
Wednesday before last I realized I had closed the money gap and could add a couple weeks hunting in Idaho? or maybe some place else like Wyoming. Wasn't scheduled to leave for Montana for two more weeks so I was completely unprepared but I'm leaving for someplace at 04:20 EST. Probably north Idaho with some great people I know but although the people are the best I'm not enamored of hunting the jungle and sleeping and slipping in grizzly country so I might see about someplace with a more traditional western terrain. Open country with patches of timber like Wyoming or central and south Idaho. I'm going to try to get some rest but I wanted to get this started. If anyone has any great ideas for elk and Mule deer then let me know because I didn't think I was going so didn't do my research.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I am armed and have tags so who knows what could happen . I try to keep my expectations low so the tag soup isn't quite so bitter :).

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Thanks ! I'm hoping at least Montana is kind to me. I have no expectations for the early extra hunting as I'm not even sure where I'm going. I was looking at Wyoming general tags but don't know a thing about anyplace there. I know some general places to look at in north Idaho so I will most likely end up there. It's all fun so I can't loose :)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say you need to rent a bear suit and sneak into Ryan's camp in the middle of the night and scare the crap out them but you'll end up shot. So maybe a bear suit with a tiara and dance ballet in their field of view while glassing just to see the forums blow up.

I don't think you can get a general tag in Wyoming, they all went in the drawing. Can you get a leftover tag for eastern Idaho? Plenty of places between Hamilton and Pocatello to take the rifle for a walk.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Well that scratches Wyoming off the list. I might look into some of the central Idaho areas. I now wish I had paid more attention to places to hunt early but I really didn't think I was going to be able to go early.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Shrek I sent you a PM, I'm up in Great Falls so if you end up this direction and need some help feel free to give me a shout, and drive safe.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm definitely hunting Montana. I have a hunt planned in the Big Belts in a place I've been to before that I have have a high degree of confidence in. I'll check the PM in the AM when I'm on my way.

I don't think you can get a general tag in Wyoming, they all went in the drawing. Can you get a leftover tag for eastern Idaho? Plenty of places between Hamilton and Pocatello to take the rifle for a walk.

I was curious and it looks like there are some general tags for early Oct up near Jackson's Hole. The list is very long and complicated to sort through but there are a few general tags that start early. Made even more complicated by the fact that you can't hunt wilderness area without a resident 'guide'. Never hunted WY, but sounds interesting and a lot more complicated. They seem to have a lot of non-national forest tags and other complicated rules (some special tag for 'feedground' near Tetons/Yellowstone probably to keep them around for year-round tourism $$$). Unit 81 looked like a good option that is a general tag available now (requires special feedground permit). Unit 67 looked like another good option, but you'd have to avoid the wilderness area.

I need to come up with some sort of backup plan for myself here and kill something since I failed to do so during ML this year (haven't struck out in a while). Right now I'm thinking a 2nd rifle trip in CO or leftover 1st. That's another option Shrek if you don't mind a 5 day season Oct 10-14 there are some leftover cow tags up around Walden.

Last edited:
Drive safely. Stay focused. I hope you're squared away with cold weather capable gear this year. We're pullin' for ya.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I've got better gear but if it blows in like last year I'm not going to lie and tell you I'm tough enough for -11 and blowing 20-30 mph. I did stop and hunt a half day in -5 and it was ok but the wind had slacked off.

Good luck!! Always nice to get some extra hunting in whether you knock one down or not.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoyed reading your adventure last year Shrek. Best of luck! Shoot me a message if you come through Wichita again. Would be happy to grab a bite or something if you need a break to stretch your legs depending on when you come through. Safe travels and happy hunting.

Good to see you back on the road. Have fun and keep us posted as I know you will. Been waiting for this. Good luck, be safe