Sig BDX

Used it for a year and sold the scope but kept the sig RF. The lack of scope brightness, concern about battery life in cold weather, regulatory changes of states outlawing the system as well as the big holdover dot limiting holdover precision were what made me move on. I enjoyed setting up the system and got ok accuracy out to 500yds and learned a decent amount about ballistics getting it running, but, and I hesitate to share, but I couldnt help but feel like I had stepped over some line hunting with this tech on my rifle. I justified it enough to myself to hunt with it, but whether it was the nebulous concept of sportsmanship or fair chase ethics, I just felt a bit off with it.

The whole concept kind of rubs me the wrong way because it encourages folks who haven’t practiced at long range to take long shots.

My limited experience with optics that have Bluetooth function doesn’t lead me to believe this system would always be seamless. Anyone who watched Cory Jacobson launch a couple bullets over an elk with his setup might lose further confidence.

When you say new sig scope do you mean the sierra 3 line thats been out awhile or the recent sierra 6 models? I have the sierra 3 4.5x14x44 and am still on the tail end of dialing it in. The optical quality isnt great but its not bad either. The scope tracks very well. The range n shoot system seems to work ok. I have only shot 2 groups at 440 yards and 3 at 529 so far and I am "in the zone". As said the illuminated dot is a tad large. It completely obscures the bullesye at a distance so you just center your dot on the paper. Should be ok for game. As far as the people that say this is "cheating", it takes the same amount of work as a turret does to set up. you just dont physically click it yourself. It has a disadvantage to a turret as you are limited to 700 yards and the sierra 3 line has no windage hold off points. I have a sierra 6 on order but dont think I will have it up here in Canada till late fall/early winter. It should have better optical quality.

When you say new sig scope do you mean the sierra 3 line thats been out awhile or the recent sierra 6 models? I have the sierra 3 4.5x14x44 and am still on the tail end of dialing it in. The optical quality isnt great but its not bad either. The scope tracks very well. The range n shoot system seems to work ok. I have only shot 2 groups at 440 yards and 3 at 529 so far and I am "in the zone". As said the illuminated dot is a tad large. It completely obscures the bullesye at a distance so you just center your dot on the paper. Should be ok for game. As far as the people that say this is "cheating", it takes the same amount of work as a turret does to set up. you just dont physically click it yourself. It has a disadvantage to a turret as you are limited to 700 yards and the sierra 3 line has no windage hold off points. I have a sierra 6 on order but dont think I will have it up here in Canada till late fall/early winter. It should have better optical quality.
I'm interested in finding out how that Sierra 6 has been doing for you, and if it was a big upgrade over the 3. Right now appears that most places have the 3's out for clearance at very good prices. Wondering if I should jump on it or wait for sales on the 6.

Thats a tough call anthony? I enjoy my bdx 3 but pretty much all my other optics are zeiss. The bdx 3 doesnt quite measure up optically but its certainly a quality unit. That said, the bdx 3 has been on my main hunting rifle since I got it. I have a bdx 6 on order though. I imagine it will be almost twice the price of the bdx 3 scopes?

Yup, 2xs the cost of the Sierra 3. Funny you should mentioned Ziess because I was torn between whether I want a better glass vs an ok glass with extras. I'm starting to lean towards the Ziess.

I've got BDX rangefinder, but no scope. Not really interested in the whole "system" but I will say, I love having a ballistic solution (set of mils to dial) pop up right inside my range finder whenever I range a target.

I've got BDX rangefinder, but no scope. Not really interested in the whole "system" but I will say, I love having a ballistic solution (set of mils to dial) pop up right inside my range finder whenever I range a target.
Same, when I can get a better scope that will dial, I can't see using the system.

My 2400 bdx talks with my Garmin and Kestrel. Its awesome.

i have the rangefinder. its pretty awesome. I'm trying to figure out how to make a dope chart that corresponds with what the rangefinder is telling me. Does anyone know how?

I don’t have the scope but am using the kilo 5k range finder. So far after inputting my load data correctly I am accurate out to 600 yards consistently. I am plan on using it to hunt this season.

I don’t have the scope but am using the kilo 5k range finder. So far after inputting my load data correctly I am accurate out to 600 yards consistently. I am plan on using it to hunt this season.
I'm considering the Sig 5k. Sounds like you're happy with it?

I recently bought a pair of KILO6K HD RF binos and they work great. I compared side-by-side with my Swarovski 10x42s in low light conditions and the clarity is better than my Swarovskis. My hunting partners were skeptical until they saw for themselves.

Last edited:
I recently bought a pair of KILO6K HD RF binos and they work great. I compared side-by-side with my Swarovski 10x42s in low light conditions and the clarify is better than my Swarovskis. My hunting partners were skeptical until they saw for themselves.
Are you utilizing the AB lite ballistics solver in them? I recently got a pair in preparation for doing a couple NRL Hunter matches and have been messing around with them.

Ranging seems to be dead on, but now I am trying to figure out if I should 1) true the ballastics data in the BDX app and stick with it under 800yds using angle compensated ranging?, 2) link it to my Ketrel or Garmin tactix 7 and swap over to LOS ranging to get solutions that will take me out past 800yds.

Are you utilizing the AB lite ballistics solver in them? I recently got a pair in preparation for doing a couple NRL Hunter matches and have been messing around with them.

Ranging seems to be dead on, but now I am trying to figure out if I should 1) true the ballastics data in the BDX app and stick with it under 800yds using angle compensated ranging?, 2) link it to my Ketrel or Garmin tactix 7 and swap over to LOS ranging to get solutions that will take me out past 800yds.
No, I haven't played around with the AB lite product yet. I'm using the Sig BDX app but have recently encountered an issue reading MOA and currently working with Sig's customer support to resolve.

True the data and ditch the kestrel
I’m trying to get ready for my first NRL Hunter and here’s the dilemma I’m running into when trying to develop my shot process… if shooting under 800 yards using the angle compensated range and subsequent ballistics solution displayed in the Kilo 6k would be good to go (assuming I true the bullet BC in the BDX app and I make a correct wind call). But if using them for a target for greater than 800yds the solution would be sub optimal.

From my understanding for the shots greater than 800yds you’d have to swap over to Line Of Sight ranging and BDX link the Kilo 6 to something running Applied Ballistics Elite (Kestrel, Garmin device w/ AB Elite, etc). So if I set up my shooting routine to use the Kilo 6 (in LOS mode) in conjunction with my Garmin Tactix 7 (w/ the bullet BC trued in the AB synapse App) then I would get an optimal firing solution from my watch.

My assumptions here is that #1 the Binos would pass the LOS distance along with azimuth and shoot angle to the AB elite app to produce the firing solution. Assumption #2 is that firing solutions would be good to go for everything under 800yds as well.

Just curious if anyone has proofed this.

Back