Sig Zulu 9 Problem

I have a pair of Sig Zulu 9 15x56. I have had them for several years. When looking through them, my eyes immediately get that feeling that I can only describe as putting on glasses with the wrong prescription. The feeling will go away as I continue looking through them but then I get the same "dizzy" feeling when I look away from the glass.

Many other people have looked through them and reported the same issue.

The other weird part is that the more time I spend in them, the less I notice it. Within a week or 2 of the scouting season I don't even notice it anymore. I only remember it when someone else tries to look through them.

Anyone have any ideas? I've adjusted the diopter without success.

OP
Mountain_Life
Maybe @Matt Cashell knows what I'm trying to explain? Once my eyes adjust to them, the only inconvenience is when someone else tries to look through them. I have a claim setup to send them in but would rather keep them in my hands if this is a common experience with high powered binos or if there's something I can do to fix them.

Not trying at all to insult you here, but are you adjusting the diopter correctly? I only say that because Ive seen many, many people do it incorrectly. Cover right objective, focus left side with the focus knob. Once thats perfect, cover the left objective and focus the right side with the diopter. Then focus both with the focus knob you should be good.

If that doesnt work, Id send them back to Sig, could be a collimation issue. Ive had the Zulu9 15s, and they keep up with the SLCs I replaced them with. I didnt notice what youre describing with the Zulu9's - I do have corrected astigmatism with contacts. Uncorrected astigmatism could be a factor, but unlikely since others have said they have the same problem.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with @TheBootBowhunting that the issue is most likely either a collimation or diopter issue. Even something barely off with either of those can lead to something like your describing.

Sig should be able to easily test the collimation if adjusting the diopter doesn't solve your problem.

One addition to TBB's explanation to set the diopter. Unless you are using your binoculars for butterfly watching, make sure you adjust the diopter with TBB's procedure while looking at a target a reasonable distance away, like 50-100 yards. I really like Real Estate yard signs with some smaller print for this task. Using a too-close target for setting the diopter sometimes makes the correction at long distances a little wonky.

OP
Mountain_Life
I appreciate the replies! I saw this method on a revic video and I'll try to set my diopter with this method.