sighting in rifle in cold weather

njdoxie

WKR
I just bought a Tikka superlite in 300WM. It's at the gunsmith getting 2 inches removed from the barrel.

I'm anxious to get it to the range to make sure it shoots at least decent and there's nothing wrong with it.

The gunsmith said I should wait to shoot it until temps get to 55 degrees and above or I might not get tight groups.

I've never heard this....does the gunsmith's advice hold water?

Temps are ranging from 10 degrees to 40 degrees.

fatbacks

WKR
Kind of... I just assembled a new rifle and was super eager to get some rounds down the tube. Temps were hovering about 5 below zero which is decently warm weather for up here (Alaska). Shot a few groups and was in the car between groups. Most of the shots I had a slight to moderate mirage from my barrel (Proof Sendero) - basically the aim point on the target moves around a little. This can lead to challenging groups. Mirage is definitely exaggerated when it is colder out in my experience and the mirage gets worse with a string of shots. Gets really bad when you add a suppressor in there.

I would still go the range and get as close to zero as possible... trigger time is trigger time. Just don't be disappointed if you have some mirage and can get the groups as tight as you'd like.

I do most of my load development and shooting between dec-may up in BC. I have never noticed group sizes changing and shoot many different rifles. Cold fingers dont help though. I appreciate that colder weather keeps barrels cooler. I suggest just doing your shooting but re-confirm zero in warmer weather.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'd go shoot it. If / when I get new rifles, its almost always in the winter. I begin load development ASAP. I'll typically be hunting with them in cold weather so in my mind, this is where it counts.

3 of my 4 tikkas were bought new and shot for their first times between December and March. I haven't noticed any difference between that and shooting in the mid 60s- 70ish. And as mentioned, the barrels stay cooler.

Motown

WKR
I'd go shoot it. If / when I get new rifles, its almost always in the winter. I begin load development ASAP. I'll typically be hunting with them in cold weather so in my mind, this is where it counts.

3 of my 4 tikkas were bought new and shot for their first times between December and March. I haven't noticed any difference between that and shooting in the mid 60s- 70ish. And as mentioned, the barrels stay cooler.

Couldn’t agree more. I was out for a few hours yesterday and it was in the mid 20’s. Had 3 tikkas with me and all shot excellent. Best thing is the barrels never heated up with giving about 2 mins between shots and going 5 shot groups. After each 5 shot group I let them sit for 10 mins and they where good to go again.

Different angle but I need to make sure I am dressed well and my hands are warm. A warm truck to hide in is good too. Otherwise I tend to rush due to being cold.