Silex or Guardian Solo Late Oct Northern WY

rootacres

WKR
So I own a Cimmaron and a stove. Im burning some points in WY this fall for muleys and pronghorn. This will be a solo hunt. The main region / units I went for is going to be in northern WY for late October max 7,500'. I plan to have the Cimmaron for basecamp if it turns into a truck hunt. But since this is solo, weight is going to be a concern if I pack in. So. . . .

Anyone used a Silex or Guardian in the snow/cold with a stove? My main concern is not being able to pitch it to the ground and really being able to utilize the stove.

The Silex vs Cimmarron will cut my weight in half roughly. Less stakes, lighter canopy, no carbon pole, smaller footprint. It makes sense on paper to me.

I use the silex w. nest for solo early season elk. I don't use it past early Oct. in CO/Wyo as the weather during rifle seasons are too sketchy and unpredictable. If I'm spiking out beyond early Oct. to the end of the month (1-3 days) I may use a 3 sturdy season lightweight packable tent. Into Nov-Dec I basecamp in a nice 10'x10' canvas tent (small footprint) and just do day hunts. In your case, I would take the weight penalty and go with the Cimarron w. stove assuming you are not moving camp every day (that's alot of work and tough when hunting solo and in cold weather).

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
I use the silex w. nest for solo early season elk. I don't use it past early Oct. in CO/Wyo as the weather during rifle seasons are too sketchy and unpredictable. If I'm spiking out beyond early Oct. to the end of the month (1-3 days) I may use a 3 sturdy season lightweight packable tent. Into Nov-Dec I basecamp in a nice 10'x10' canvas tent (small footprint) and just do day hunts. In your case, I would take the weight penalty and go with the Cimarron w. stove assuming you are not moving camp every day (that's alot of work and tough when hunting solo and in cold weather).

Great info, thank you. What sturdy 3 season tent do you use? Do you think a LBO would be a good compromise? Ive been thinking of trying to snag one of these off the classifieds.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
We were on an early November hunt in southern Montana last year. I took my Guardian with small Light Outdoors stove. I spent 5 nights in it, some solo, some with another person, with and without the stove.

We had about 8" of snow on the ground and didn't have any problem getting it pitched. The stove worked well (albeit, we were getting about 45-60 minutes of burn time). We were able to get it plenty toasty in there with that small of a stove. I wouldn't have wanted to go much bigger on a stove as it was easily warm enough.

I agree with taking the weight penalty of the Cimarron and stove over the Guardian. Especially if the only swap is the tent as you're really only saving a 1-1.5lbs. In fact, I ended up selling the combo on here as I wanted a little more room and will now be taking an Argali Absaroka and Seek SXL stove. It's a 2.5lb weight penalty for way more livability, especially if the weather is keeping you in.