Single Pin sight modification idea

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really interested in a single pin sight for the accuracy and the ability to dial into precise yardages like 37 or 53, plus the ability to stretch out practice distances. However, I like the simplicity of a multi pin sight for the fact of not having to dial to 60 if the elk or deer is at 60 yards. I've given a lot of consideration to a sight like a Black Gold with multi pins and a floater, however I feel that I would be more accurate with a single pin because I notice I sometimes push the pin to the left or right of my target.

So my idea is to take a single pin sight, and use small pieces of tape or measurements from my fixed pin sight to find marks along the single pin so when it is dialed to 20 yards I could have marks for 30/40/50 and maybe 60 placed on the sight pin underneath the fiber. I am thinking of using white out, or fluorescent nail polish to make the final marks.

So the question I have is has anyone done something similar to this? If so what kind of tips do you have for the proper execution of it?

The new spot Hogg single pins have double up pins. So similar to what your describing but two dots. I usally always use just the one dot and dial it

WKR
You'll lose the clean sight picture of a single pin, and likely end up with a funky looking sight.

Learn the Trick Pin system, or just dial to 30 and learn to hold over/under for 20-40 and dial outside of 40. I switched this year and love it, I'm using the second of these two systems for hunting.

weaver

WKR
I glued a tiny piece of white tape on my pin for 40yds.
If I have plenty of time ill dial the yardage and anything past 40 ill dial as well.

Brendan

WKR
I did it, doesn't affect your sight picture whatsoever. Used Software for Archers to print out pin gaps as I already use it for my sight tapes. Then took a toothpick, dipped it in silver marking paint, and made tiny 40 and 50 yard marks using the pin gap printout (I leave my sight at 30). Works fine if you practice and get used to how you have to aim, but not as accurate as dialing and using your primary pin.

OP
JP7

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input and the ideas. I really like the trick pin set up for elk.

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Those are great ideas. I've been using a single pin HHA for years, tried a multipoint once, but could not get used to it. Most of where I hunt is close up, 25yds or less, but I do get in some where 50+ could happen. Will have to try that. I do have a dead-on range finder on my sight as well. That would work good if u have something coming in, and u r at full draw, u could just use the mark. Neat.

Look at the new Option sight from Dan Evans. Best of both worlds and best sight I have ever used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk