Single Pin Sights

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a single pin sight with my now 2 year old bow. Had it dialed in for the yardages. Now I find myself shooting low of my mark. Example would be a 30 yard shot, using my 30 yard pin and shooting an inch or so low with my group of 5 arrows. Typical across all yardages. It could be user error and having a slightly different angle through my peep sight/anchor point. But Im leaning towards the idea of my bow string stretching. Has anyone else come across this using a single pin? Wondering if you guys have simply adjusted the yardage or got a new roll tape. Thanks for any insight.

Brendan

WKR
Any chance your peep sight moved a little? Is it served in above and below, or just around the center of the peep?

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
It is certainly possible it moved.

"Is it served in above and below, or just around the center of the peep?"
Im not sure what your asking with this? How I line up my peep with my sight housing?

boom

WKR
it happened to me. i thought it was my peep. but staring at it, shooting so much, i just knew how the peep was oriented at brace. it was dead on..rotated just a bit to the right. if it slides up or down, the orientation will change a tiny bit. so it wasnt my peep. it

you know what it was? my rest came loose a bit and slid down a bit. now i marked everything with a carpenter pencil. the lead is dark enough to make it barely visible. i use a silver sharpie to mark the peep. the rest, that carpenter pencil. cams and everything.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it is low the same amount at all yardage’s, it can’t be your peep. It would be off more the farther the distance. Your rest moved or you had a string or cable stretch. You should also mark your cams above and below the limb. If the marks move then you know something has stretched. Generally the cables are the ones that stretch slightly as they carry the majority of the load.

Brendan

WKR
Serving the peep refers to how it's tied into the string. Whether or not it's just looped around the peep, or if it's tied down (and up) the string above and below the peep to keep it from moving.

With that said - Doug's right. Is it the difference the same (A couple inches) at every yardage? Same at 20 as 50 or 60?

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I would bet on the rest having moved as well. I had a similar thing with my single pin. Turned out the drop away wasn't coming up all the way. I was using a clip for the string and it started slipping. Tied the string in and no more problems.

Sometimes the serving can move up the string causing your nock point to move as well. Should be able to see it when an arrow is nocked and held sideways looking at it.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I wasn't able to get out shooting last night to check it out. Hopefully tonight I can. Ill have to check on all of the suggestions. The peep is just tied in on the sides. It did look like it has been twisted. I haven't marked anything on my bow before but seems as though I should. I will admit I'm poor with bow maintenance. It seems to be dropping the same amount across all yardages. The range I was at only went out to 60, so I noticed at 30, 40, 50 and 60. I had it in my head I might be holding my anchor slightly off or just slightly dropping my bow arm but it stayed consistent. I dialed the yardage up when I finished at 30 to 31 and seemed to be hitting the mark. That's when I really started to question it.

boom

WKR
your peep is tied above and below right?

man, moving a peep (when you want to) is..well, it takes effort. i cant see it moving without you wanting to. (right or wrong - moving a peep without a press is probably not the greatest idea)

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
your peep is tied above and below right?

man, moving a peep (when you want to) is..well, it takes effort. i cant see it moving without you wanting to. (right or wrong - moving a peep without a press is probably not the greatest idea)
On the sides.....if I remember right. Wouldnt move it without a press, i would take it to someone that has one. I might adjust the rest slightly to see if that has any effect. Need to mark everything out where it is first.

jmez

WKR
With two people you can move the peep pretty easy. Draw the bow and have someone slide it up or down a little if needed. When at full draw all of the load is in the cables, none in the string. How I do it to get it exactly where I want it and I have a press. I get it close then have my wife slide it up or down a little for the final positio

Never been a problem to move the peep without a press if only served at the top and bottom.

Peeps move more easily when the string gets hot as in sitting in the sun for awhile when shooting.

A rest won't normally move a little and stop. If it's going to move, it will keep moving unless it was hit or caught against something and forced to a new position.

I'd check your nock point. String loops can cause serving to loosen up sometimes, especially on mass produced factory strings.

Brendan

WKR
Pretty easy for me to move a peep that's only tied around the circumference of the peep. Do it all the time when I'm setting up my bow, never use my press, and only fully tie it in when I'm really sure it's exactly where I want it. Two examples how I do it:

0464e5414d65055922b599e6a65c07ac.jpg
a6b1e264b8c6cce0953cac05f6352263.jpg

I tie mine in the same as the top pic above once the peep is set where it needs to be. It won't move on it's own that way.

Evergreen

WKR
I have been shooting a single pin sight with my now 2 year old bow. Had it dialed in for the yardages. Now I find myself shooting low of my mark. Example would be a 30 yard shot, using my 30 yard pin and shooting an inch or so low with my group of 5 arrows. Typical across all yardages. It could be user error and having a slightly different angle through my peep sight/anchor point. But Im leaning towards the idea of my bow string stretching. Has anyone else come across this using a single pin? Wondering if you guys have simply adjusted the yardage or got a new roll tape. Thanks for any insight.
There's a lot of left out info. Are these the original strings, was it dialed in last season and now that you're back to shooting it's off? Have you checked the bows spec to make sure they're still on ie brace, ata and poundage? Your peep site may have moved due to string stretch. Just food for thought but you may want to check those or have a shop check before moving anything.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Original strings and it's been dialed in for the last two years.
Haven't tested the poundage though...
Need to do more research that's for sure.
I've ruled out the rest moving as best as I can tell
There's a lot of left out info. Are these the original strings, was it dialed in last season and now that you're back to shooting it's off? Have you checked the bows spec to make sure they're still on ie brace, ata and poundage? Your peep site may have moved due to string stretch. Just food for thought but you may want to check those or have a shop check before moving anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Evergreen

WKR
Check your measurements, my guess is they're off. Your peep being turned is one sign of stretch.

Likely to be anchor point. This can be caused by string stretch and shooter error both. Sure doesn't take a lot.
1" different than before doesn't require a lot of change in you and what you're doing, whether it be the srings stretching that causes it or just a different anchor point. The release you use could effect it as well, especially if it is an index finger type, not cinched up exactly the same, or wearing a bit. So many things could cause 1". Now if it was 3"-6" that is different.
I can purposely torque my bow and at 60 yards get a different POI up to over 6".

I wouldn't change anything until you shoot several times and verify repeatability of a low POI.
Of course, changing the slide to get that 1" back, aint no big deal any way. So changing it and then finding out the next time out you had to go back to where it was for the last 2 years will answer your questions.

What is your sight and release? How big is the sight pin? (.010, .019 etc)

Gumbo

WKR
So many things could cause 1". Now if it was 3"-6" that is different.
I can purposely torque my bow and at 60 yards get a different POI up to over 6".

Absolutely. One of the things I am finding is that subtle shifts from low to a high wrist (or vice versa) can change my groups in the vertical plane dramatically. Factor in a moveable sight that is farther away from the riser and the effect is further compounded (the pins shift more up or down relative to the change in grip pressure the farther from the riser they are).