Single Shot Mountain Rifle Build: CVA Scout

These little guns shoot well. I had one in .44 mag with virtually zero recoil that shot 1-2" groups at 100 yards with cheap Federal blue box 240 grain JHP. My pre-teen daughters both killed 3 mature whitetail bucks with that rifle with the furthest shots at 111 and 117 yards. All were one-shot kills with less than 100 yard tracking jobs. 2 of them were bang flop kills.

When they got a little older, and IA changed the regs., I sold the .44 mag and upgraded to the .35 Whelen with brake. It's a sweet shooter with mild recoil and 1-2" groups at 150 with factory Barnes 200 grain TTSX.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
To me the most annoying part is the need to sbr it b/c of the barrel length. The tbac brake is 2.075" which would put the overall barrel length at 15.575 inches when pinned and welded which requires another $200 and a tax stamp. Be nice if the barrel was 1/2" inch longer to avoid that.

Unless anyone knows of a solution to get another 1/2 inch of barrel length and still be suppressor compatible.
I agree whether you’re chopping the rifle barrel or adding a stock to the pistol, some alphabet paperwork will need to be completed…. for a single shot rifle. Unless we can find a long enough brake to pin & weld to hit that magic number. *Hopefully a company reads this thread and alleviates this issue*

I am curious to see if the rifle receiver weights more or less than the pistol configuration with a stock…

If someone with the 6.5 CM pistol wants to put up weights with just a receiver, I’ll post mine up receiver only.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
I found a sweet stock option for both pistols and rifles.
Total weight looks to be 13-14oz for the adapter, pistol grip and folding stock.

Need to Weight my stock if this would be worthwhile weight savings or not.

I’m also seriously looking into chopping, threading and fluting my barrel. If the calculators are correct I can shed 8-10oz going down to 16” with fluting done.
Ballistically with VihtVouri n555 I’m still looking at 95% burn rates at 16” but my MV would probably be in the 2400-2500 range
1FABD698-EE33-4A30-B8FE-C847F0A5C65C.jpeg4831883C-BE28-4A97-A3C9-18DA52051756.jpeg

Geewhiz

WKR
I found a sweet stock option for both pistols and rifles.
Total weight looks to be 13-14oz for the adapter, pistol grip and folding stock.

Need to Weight my stock if this would be worthwhile weight savings or not.

I’m also seriously looking into chopping, threading and fluting my barrel. If the calculators are correct I can shed 8-10oz going down to 16” with fluting done.
Ballistically with VihtVouri n555 I’m still looking at 95% burn rates at 16” but my MV would probably be in the 2400-2500 range
View attachment 555956View attachment 555957
If you keep your barrel length over 16 inches you can use an actual stock instead of a brace and there are some very lightweight folding options available.

Farrowtech also makes a similar pistol grip w/ the 1913 pic option.

My daughter shot her first two deer with a CVA single shot .243 when she was 11 and 12 years old. They are just fine. Decent triggers. Barrel contours are heavy enough that they could easily be fluted to drop weight. If they took down without tools that would be pretty sweet. I'd never put a 20 oz. scope on one but to each their own.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
If you keep your barrel length over 16 inches you can use an actual stock instead of a brace and there are some very lightweight folding options available.

Farrowtech also makes a similar pistol grip w/ the 1913 pic option.
I saw Farrowtech’s as well but I just prefer the look and grip angle of Sharps Bros more.

There’s probably a plethora of lightweight folding stocks available, this one just jumped out at me first. Hopefully this will give others ideas as well as to what can be done with this platform.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
My daughter shot her first two deer with a CVA single shot .243 when she was 11 and 12 years old. They are just fine. Decent triggers. Barrel contours are heavy enough that they could easily be fluted to drop weight. If they took down without tools that would be pretty sweet. I'd never put a 20 oz. scope on one but to each their own.
The newer V2 Scouts are takedown weapons without tools. Unfortunately they only come in select calibers as well as stainless steel. The Scout (what I have) only comes blued and required tools to disassemble.

I heavily debated an SWFA UL or the 3-9HD which is an ~11oz difference in weight, but last season I tried a 1-4x24 LVPO which cost me at least 2 bucks at last light. For the type of deer hunting I do, I need a durable, reliable 42-56mm objective for that first and last 30 minutes.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
The option of making it a folder with adjustable stock is very interesting. With the 20" barrel on mine, it's a short rifle already. With a folded stock, strapped to the pack, it would be a very compact setup.

For anyone who's already researched....post up the pieces and weights. I can do it later but gotta run now.

Geewhiz

WKR
The option of making it a folder with adjustable stock is very interesting. With the 20" barrel on mine, it's a short rifle already. With a folded stock, strapped to the pack, it would be a very compact setup.

For anyone who's already researched....post up the pieces and weights. I can do it later but gotta run now.
The biggest hitch that’s making me hesitate thus far is manufacture specified weights. For advertised weights it could finish under 5 lbs. but I read an account that a gentleman wrote who bought a 6.5cm pistol that is advertised at 3.7 lbs but actual weight was 5.6. Which clearly is a significant difference. I’m not aware of any manufacturers that make barrels for those pistols and I’m convinced with the brake open apparatus fixed to the barrel it wouldn’t be easy for a smith to chuck it up and take off some weight.

It sure wouldn't take much for CVA to release a dedicated lightweight takedown single shot mountain rifle. Just make it in .308 and 6.5 CM and it will sell. They already know how to make good triggers. The trigger on my Optima V2 muzzleloader is one of the best triggers I've ever had.
Trigger on both my Accura and Scout are very nice.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to interrogate you, but how do you like the Farrowtech grip? Does it mate up solidly to the action? How about grip size?

I'm considering getting the farrowtech to build a pseudo Hobbit Rifle for my kid. But I'm worried that the pistol grip might be too wide for a kid's hand.

When I hunt MD swamp or OH reclaimed mines this is my treestand pistol. I haven’t weighed it. It is a 350 legend.

View attachment 557329

Last edited:

jeffpg

WKR
I run a Sharp Bros folder on a TC Encore chambered in 7.08 with a 20" bbl and suppressor. I topped it with a Leupold VX3 3-10x40 and feed it 140 grain Federal Fusion ammo. I haven't bothered to weigh it but it's nice and compact and it's a proven big buck killer!