Sitka Apex or Ascent Pant

I’m looking at getting one of these two pants. I will be using it for early season whitetail archery hunts and spring turkey hunting. I live in southern Ohio for weather reference. I’ve seen the ascent is more for extreme warmth and Alex is more for cooler early season. Which pant would you guys recommend. Any reviews from people who have first hand experience.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
10-4. The Ascents are pretty amazing in the heat. I hiked the Grand Canyon R2R2R in them and it was 113 down in the bottom. Also spent an entire archery elk season in northern AZ in them as well. They are pretty versatile with a base layer under them.

The Ascent is loud, but super durable and good for hot weather. They offer no water resistance but dry very quickly. I actually replaced them with the Fjallraven Abisko Light which I've been wearing this summer. The Apex is a bit warmer microgrid light fleece. It is much, much quieter and breathes very well, but is not very durable. They are my goto for spot and stock (archery) since I can't find anything comparable. They also come with knee pads, which I promptly removed.

OP
B
The Ascent is loud, but super durable and good for hot weather. They offer no water resistance but dry very quickly. I actually replaced them with the Fjallraven Abisko Light which I've been wearing this summer. The Apex is a bit warmer microgrid light fleece. It is much, much quieter and breathes very well, but is not very durable. They are my goto for spot and stock (archery) since I can't find anything comparable. They also come with knee pads, which I promptly removed.
In what ways are they not durable? Just curious.

In what ways are they not durable? Just curious.
I guess the fragility comes in the nature of the textile build. The microgrid is pretty sparsely woven and the front material is super soft poly which kind of pills. I have some thin spots but I haven't torn them yet. They are pretty dang comfy and quiet, but in my experience more durable than say the FL merino pant of which I've torn up multiple pairs over the years.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How durable and quite is the apes? Very good with heavy dew on grass? What's the warmth factor

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would run them as cold as 45 degrees out and they are a really nice 4 stretch fabric and so they are durable and quite. The DWR finish on them is really go agents the dew as long as you wash them every 6 mouths or so the reset the DWR in them.

I would run them as cold as 45 degrees out and they are a really nice 4 stretch fabric and so they are durable and quite. The DWR finish on them is really go agents the dew as long as you wash them every 6 mouths or so the reset the DWR in them.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I own both, but hunt in the apex more. Early mornings when it is cooler is when they shine. I didn’t have to use a base layer. I used them last August for speed goats and a muzzleloader hunt for elk last fall. The ascents really shine for summer scouting. Both great pants.

I found the Apex to be a bit on the skinny side. I wear 38 pants and lift a bit. 38s fit my waist but I usually end up a size or two higher in Sitka for thigh and ass room. The 38 apex’s I tried on were like yoga pants. The 40s were a bit better but tight enough in the thighs to present a potential fire hazard.

I love the ascents for hot weather but they are breezy when it is less warm. If they would add some hip vents and a few more solid colors, these could unhorse my tiburons and zions as my favorite hot weather pants.

renagde

WKR
Neither. I would get the Mountain pants. My brother runs the Ascents, and we hunt in the south western corner of PA. Probably similar early season conditions. He says if it goes under 60 and there's any kind of a breeze he freezes out of them. I have the Apex that I'll be using to hunt elk in this fall. They're definitely a heavier material than the Ascents, so they'll be a bit warmer. I used the Mountain pants last year whitetail hunting and they were about perfect. A little tougher material then either the Apex or Ascents, but they weren't hot. They breathe well, but still shield you from a light breeze when sitting in a stand all day. I don't have any experience with the Apex whitetail hunting yet.

OP
B
Neither. I would get the Mountain pants. My brother runs the Ascents, and we hunt in the south western corner of PA. Probably similar early season conditions. He says if it goes under 60 and there's any kind of a breeze he freezes out of them. I have the Apex that I'll be using to hunt elk in this fall. They're definitely a heavier material than the Ascents, so they'll be a bit warmer. I used the Mountain pants last year whitetail hunting and they were about perfect. A little tougher material then either the Apex or Ascents, but they weren't hot. They breathe well, but still shield you from a light breeze when sitting in a stand all day. I don't have any experience with the Apex whitetail hunting yet.
What is the difference between the mountain pant and he apex pant

renagde

WKR
What is the difference between the mountain pant and he apex pant
The Mountain is a little heavier of a material, and I would say tougher too. It's not as breathable as the Apex so it's more suited for a little cooler weather. If I had to say, the Ascents cover 70-90, the Apex from 50-70 and the Mountain from 30-50, but that's walking around. Sitting in a treestand I tend to get a little colder.

OP
B
The Mountain is a little heavier of a material, and I would say tougher too. It's not as breathable as the Apex so it's more suited for a little cooler weather. If I had to say, the Ascents cover 70-90, the Apex from 50-70 and the Mountain from 30-50, but that's walking around. Sitting in a treestand I tend to get a little colder.
What type of durability are we talking for the Apex? Is it gonna get frayed from waking through briars and worn out when sitting in a tree stand? Or are they just not gonna withstand abuse like falling and tearing a knee or something along those lines?

renagde

WKR
What type of durability are we talking for the Apex? Is it gonna get frayed from waking through briars and worn out when sitting in a tree stand? Or are they just not gonna withstand abuse like falling and tearing a knee or something along those lines?
No I can't say that the Mountain would hold up better in the briars etc. The material is obviously thicker so I'm assuming more durable.

Rohnson23

FNG
I have a pair of both. Had the ascent for a couple years and Apex for a couple months. The Apex is more durable, at least it feels like it. I do like the knee pads in the Apex. The ascent may be a little more breathable though. I’m gonna bring both elk hunting in September and see which i like more.