Sitka Camo Pattern For Elk

GotDraw?

WKR
Whatever pattern you buy, don’t forget to buy a black light to look at your camo and see how much it does or doesn’t fluoresce blue...🤔
^^^ABSOLUTELY.

And also use that black light to how much any "Brighteners" in your no-scent detergent cause your camo to fluoresce!

JL

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
pattern or color will not matter as much as keeping the wind in your favor and movement at the wrong time, that being said I like to look for any advantage I can and blend to the terrain as best as possible...would look to patterns that help to achieve this for your selected country...here is a sitka top I still wear from 2009 that helped at 12 yds don’t recall the pattern...for my country I like dark colors and green...will say sitka came out with a forest pattern many years ago thought it would be great had a bull coming in hard and fast and he locked up like a ton of bricks at 15 yds all in my favor and I’m like the entire time why did he do that wind solid zero movement I was obscured only I could think of what the shirt was not the flat finish but had some small shine factor as he ran off I swore to never wear that shirt again archery hunting and never did...good luck on the choice and keep the wind in your favor

Attachments

• F109ACEE-4A69-46CC-9E53-13148CF38B91.jpeg
    F109ACEE-4A69-46CC-9E53-13148CF38B91.jpeg
    940.6 KB · Views: 59

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like Open Country and Sub-Alpine. I hunt only public land and most of these areas receive heavy hunter pressure.
From my experience in archery, camo works period.
Recall back when I wore Woolrich pants, shirt and/or jacket. Green, gray colors.
Elk would come along the trails, stop and stare at me. I hadn't moved an inch and wind, sunlight was in my favor. Deer would look my direction, stop, sometimes approach and stomp their feet. Often both would move off, allowing me to move & draw. Sometimes they moved off too quickly for a shot, being on alert.

my first use of Open Country was in timber. Lots gray trees and ponderosas too. Group elk came down trail, closer...closer....closer. Lead cow stopped and looked my way but only for a moment. My eyes were focused downward, looking at elk from under hat brim. Then lead cow looked off. As if she looked right thru me and no reaction from her or the other cows, calves. 14 elk total.
Finally all walked by me single file on the trail, B]from my position off trail!!
then past me they got my wind, hair went up on lead cow's back and off they went like a freight train thru the timber.

the 2020 AZ OTC buck in my avatar, spotted me 3 days earlier. I had on my Open Country having hunted the desert earlier that day. Buck came out on the trail from thick manzanita brush 100 yard away, stopped at field's edge and instantly looked my way. Stared at me for several minutes, then cowered, snuck back into the brush. Only to come out again 400 yards away on another trail. Wind, sun was in my favor. I was sitting with my back against the brush but not blending well. During next few days, switched clothes to the Sub Alpine camo. It blended better with my brushy background. Buck came out on same trail, never looked my way and started my direction. Buck stopped, turned broadside to go toward some does away from my position.
At that point, I sent an arrow at 67 yards. Buck sprinted 50 yards. Down on the ground, expired and all in less than 30 seconds after arrow release.

These are just 2 of many observations of my experience with camo. Bottom line, I believe the right camo helps. Taken many deer & elk that I think the outcome would have been different without camo.
I've had elk walk up and sniff me leaned up against a tree while wearing solids. Camo may help, but every situation is different and I get a lot more use out of solids year round.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would seem to be most appropriate if individuals affiliated/associated/sponsored/(select appropriate word here) by those “camo companies” would state it as such in their posts, wouldn’t it?
I have a choice to wear ANY companies camouflage or solid patterns that I want. I wear what I wear for many reasons. Those who say "it doesn't matter", "its silly", "buy the cheapest", etc, etc, etc, either don't understand, don't care, already have their mind made up, or a combination of all of the above. That's okay. Okay is just that though, it's okay. Most people think 15% is ok on elk harvest success. I won't fall into any of those categories. Not one piece of my gear is "okay". Not one minute of fitness is ok. Not one bit of my mental process in a hunt is ok. 90% harvest is not "okay"in my book.

There are a lot of experts here who are telling the real experts they are wrong. Just FYI, all these companies are hiring. Y'all should hit them up, and I'm sure you would all be in shoe in's to replace these idiots, with all of your expertise I mean. I'm sure the millions they spend on the science to prove these statements are just chump change write off dollars because they have nothing better to do with the dollars.

I'm not going to sit and try and change anyone's mind, got way better things to do. However, if you're not totally close minded, do some research. No, not opinions. Research on the actual science. Maybe try and understand before just randomly spewing the first thing that comes to mind. If it doesn't work for you great, then go get your Walmart special and call it good. I'll still sit by the fire with ya. I could give a shit what you wear, shoot, look through, or drive. Even though it goes against logical thinking, I would like to see everyone successful at their endeavors.

I don't think it matters.
Pick a pattern you like since you have to wear it. I have Open Country. Purchased all my items when they were on sale.

Elkangle

WKR
Sitka sub alpine has been the most versatile pattern I've found...I'm not going to argue with the camo haters out there...they kill way more stuff then the pro camo guys for sure 😉

The only thing I would add is you are buying the layering system as well as durability.
I will pay good money for both of those. I set up my camp in the backcountry and last thing I need is clothing failure. I ran First Lite for 7 years, same set, before my pants tore but I called First Lite and they sent me some extra material for a patch. Tiny holes in the merino wool base layer from snags. Truth be told I can and still do wear their gear to this day. Fortunately, my mom loves to sew, and she repairs my hunting clothes which enables me to use them for years.

I switched to Sitka hoping for better durability and warmth. I do feel like Sitka, thus far, seems very durable, however I've only worn them for 2 seasons or 20-30 field days. The outer layers do seems warmer in my opinion over First Lite.

Other reason for switch: First Lite changed their lineup and I didn't like the fit of the new pants at the time (2018-2019). I wore their 2nd run of Kanabs for years. Legs seemed tighter on their new lines than I would like. No I don't have huge thighs/calves or an ass for that matter. I ran ASAT which I really liked and First Lite eliminated that from their line.

Does camo matter? I'm sure it helps but probably not as much as I'd like to think. The best things for concealment in addition to camo, in my experience, are moving out of sight of the animal and keeping the wind in your face. If you do those 2 things I could probably wear any camo pattern on the market and likely my regular street clothes and still harvest game every year. FWIW.

Last edited:
Either works. Open country really does good in timber. Honestly even solids work great. Especially with pants.
I wouldn't put too much thought into the camo. Just build a layering system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Here is both patterns in B&W that the elk see. Really about contrast and breaking up your form. Camo color
is really for hunters. probably could be purple and pink for elk....

1618493602928.png

dhoshauer

FNG
Until doctors figure out how to successfully transplant a cervid's eye into a human, we may never know for sure exactly what a deer/elk sees. All I can go by is past experiences. I was still hunting for black bear one year wearing brush pants, a field jacket, and solid orange vest. I saw a deer coming and froze. Wind was in my favor and she walked within 5 yards and never knew I was there. I've had similar experiences while being in camo. However, I've also been in full camo 16 feet up a tree and sometimes the animals pick me out and sometimes not. Same tree, same pattern, no movement. All I can assume is it comes down to lighting conditions and your background regardless of what you're wearing. All that being said, camo makes me FEEL better and makes me think I have SOME control over the situation!

Jakerex

WKR
If good quality solids were as available as everything in camo is, then I would wear more solids than I already do.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wonder why all of the focus is on camo patterns and less on solids? You’d think that solids would could be more popular because they could be worn for more than hunting. I mean camo can too, but I don’t sport camo as daily wear, though some do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakerex

WKR
I agree with a few others. I rarely consider the camo pattern. I find a specific product with materials that I’m interested in, and then search for sales. Whatever camo pattern is on sale for the product that I’m looking for, that’s what I buy.

Though, in all circumstances I would say that I always like lighter color and less cluttered patterns and colors. I feel like the darker colors turn you into a blob at distance.

Does camo matter, I don’t know, but can wearing camo hurt your chances...NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShakeDown

WKR
Last year I had a young bull come to about 6yds dead on, on an a string, 10yds broadside past the shooter. He stood in front of me for probably 30-45 seconds looking for the cow before my brother a few yards behind me tried to get his phone up. No cover between us and I was in a Black Ovis solid top and EB solid guide pants.

No $ amount of camo will take the place of wind/scent control and set up / strategy.

Here is a still my brother behind me snapped when I stopped him on the way out.

5C0B5BD5-882E-481C-BE94-AF5C843A72DA.jpeg

That being said... when I’m shooting I have either FL Cipher on or Verde. Can’t hurt right??