Sitka Core Light weight hoody or Equinox hoodie is better?

I'm thinking about jumping into the Sitka system.

Right now I'm only whitetail in Maryland/PA area. Maybe some turkey.

My first purchase is going to be a base layer for early season archery in a treestand/saddle.

I was all set on getting the core light weight hoodie and then adding to it as fund built up. But as I do more research, I feel like the Equinox hoodie with it insect protection is worth the upgrade.

Anyone that have try both see actual benefit from the Equinox over the core light weight?

What would be the next layer you would suggest I get after that for Oct/Nov time timeframe?

Thank you very much.

LostArra

WKR
The LW hoodie is the only Sitka item I own but I wear it on nearly every deer and elk hunt. A bottle of Sawyers permethrin will provide insect protection.

LostArra

WKR
I like the mask feature and use it a lot while deer hunting (treestand) and it just depends on the situation with elk. The hood fits well and does not obstruct peripheral vision when worn with or without a ball cap. The mask is easily out of the way if you don't want to use it.

I usually wear a short sleeve merino/merino blend shirt under the hoodie when it's cool. Something not mentioned is that the LW core material makes it easier to get a fleece midlayer pulled on over rather than fleece over fleece or fleece over merino. Does that make sense?

I have no experience with Equinox so it may be similar.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Get the lightweight definitely as it's a base layer for about all seasons depending on how you layer. The Equinox, and I assume you mean the new bug-proof one not the older heavy weight, could be layered but I would get a standard lightweight base T either short or long sleeve for under the Equinox. I often wear a UA compression top T under my base layers, depending on temps etc. as I like the tighter fit but YMMV.

208hntr

FNG
The lightweight hoodie goes on literally every hunt with me and I love it! I have one subalpine and one waterfowl marsh. There's no real bug protection, but you'll probably want to do something to repel bugs regardless of whether you're using the lw hoodie or the equinox

sr80

WKR
i am big fan of the lightweight hoody, but have an equinox on the way to try as well. Looks like the the equinox might fit a tad looser, more like a sun hoody? I find the core light weight tight in the arms, but still a great piece. I often bring two on a backpack trip and layer them over top of each other. One is a size large and the other a large tall, i find that combo great for cooler morning active hunts.

Honyock

WKR
Another vote for the LW hoody until it gets colder and then merino. The face mask is great for turkey and early bow season.

sr80

WKR
Ive got a handful of days with this equinox hoody, so far im really liking it. It will be my primary top this weekend on a three day scouting trip. It feels a lot better nicer against the skin than the core light, its almost like silk. Might not be very durable but time will tell, looser fit and more airy too.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
LW hoody is great for elk and turkey hunting. No reason its not great for whitetail also.

lw

Manakh

FNG
Ive got a handful of days with this equinox hoody, so far im really liking it. It will be my primary top this weekend on a three day scouting trip. It feels a lot better nicer against the skin than the core light, its almost like silk. Might not be very durable but time will tell, looser fit and more airy too.
Please remember to report back, Ive been all in on the core lightweight hoody but this year doing August bear I've never seen so many mosquitos and have been just eaten alive through my core lightweight hoody!!!

2531usmc

WKR
Please remember to report back, Ive been all in on the core lightweight hoody but this year doing August bear I've never seen so many mosquitos and have been just eaten alive through my core lightweight hoody!!!
But I think clothing that is sold as bug repellant is simply clothing pretreated with peremethrin. Certainly for military clothing. So if you have a clh with a mosquito problem, just spray it with Pete ether im.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm thinking about jumping into the Sitka system.

Right now I'm only whitetail in Maryland/PA area. Maybe some turkey.

My first purchase is going to be a base layer for early season archery in a treestand/saddle.

I was all set on getting the core light weight hoodie and then adding to it as fund built up. But as I do more research, I feel like the Equinox hoodie with it insect protection is worth the upgrade.

Anyone that have try both see actual benefit from the Equinox over the core light weight?

What would be the next layer you would suggest I get after that for Oct/Nov time timeframe?

Thank you very much.
Check out FORLOH - 100% sourced and Made in America

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
But I think clothing that is sold as bug repellant is simply clothing pretreated with peremethrin. Certainly for military clothing. So if you have a clh with a mosquito problem, just spray it with Pete ether im.
Check out FORLOH's Insect Shield

Buckhead

FNG
I bought an Equinox Guard hoodie recently and it is essentially the same as a LW hoodie except for the insecticide treatment. Haven’t hunted with it yet, but have worn it fishing a couple times. Was a skeptic, but my opinion has changed, is very effective. Bought it new on EBay, cost was slightly more than LW hoodie. Am looking at a getting a pair of pants, however, they are pricey vs other LW Sitka options.

In the past have pre treated my early season gear with permethrin. Based on my fishing experience, don’t think it is as effective as the Equinox Guard, but way better than nothing. I hunt in the tick and chigger capital of the world (Georgia), so a must during early archery season.

sr80

WKR
I've been full core light hoody as well for years. The last few days while scouting was 30c ( 86F) I wore the equinox for the last two days of the trip and find it much stretchier, thin and cooler than the core lite hoody, so in my opinion its not the same as the core light at all. Its a looser fit as mentioned. I really liked it. I cant speak to how how well the bug treatment worked, mosquitoes weren't bad this trip, i didn't buy this hoodie for that, i figured it would be more of a gimmick than anything.