Sitka dewpoint vs OR Foray vs Forloh airalight

Looking for a durable rain jacket to keep in the pack for rain events and periods of heavy snow. I belive all 3 of these jackets have similar features. Does one (or another similar jacket) stand out for durability or breathability? Don't really care about camo either way. Weight isn't a huge concern so long as it's not excessively heavy for what it is. Any input is appreciated.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might have to do a little digging as the three jackets listed appear to be using different fabrics- the Foray uses Gore Paclite which is a two layer design, the Airtight uses something called Airadigm- not sure if it's 2 or 3 layer???, the Dewpoint uses a 3 layer Gore (which I believe is Active).

With that said, the Dewpoint has been a very good performer for me- I took it across the Bob Marshall on a particularly wet (rain and snow) May trip. Lots of blowdown to get over/under/around and it held up without even a pinhole.

OjCe0x5.jpg

Drenalin

WKR
I have and use the Foray, but haven't tried the others you listed. The reason I haven't tried them is that the Foray does what I need it to do at a cheaper price point (considering frequency of sales and used market). My only gripe with the Foray is that the main zipper can be a PITA to get lined up, and it takes quite a while before it stops being difficult to zip up. Ventilation is outstanding, it opens up almost as much a serape. I haven't been out in the rain in it more than 6 hours at a time, but within that timeframe of heavy to moderate rain, it did not wet out (and also did not have anything pressing against the jacket continuously, like pack straps).

I have a foray but i think they did an updated version.

it is good. Serves the purpose for me which is as a shell when I am getting enough precip to wet out my outer layer - which might be a soft shell, grid fleece etc. I would say it is resonably durable but not in the same category as my Sitka rain gear. It would probably get shredded with some serious brush busting. I sized up to make sure it could go over my layers and I have used it over a puffy in cold weather To block wind and snow. FWIW the foray is dirt cheap. Under $100. Check out the review outdoor gear lab did on it.

IMO the trade off of function / durability vs weight is the key. the foray or it’s little brother the helium jacket are in my pack when I don’t expect to be wearing rain gear a lot of at all on any particular trip. If I expect to spend some time wearing rain gear, I take my Sitka.

fishslap

WKR
I’ll add that I’m in Colorado and don’t live in my rain gear so I have not tested durability or wetting out with lots of movement and a pack over extended wet periods. It meets my colorado needs for rain and snow.

OP
A
Thanks for the replies. I'm not up to speed on the technical aspects of the different fabrics. I do remember reading the forloh is 3 layer though.

@Desk Jockey is your sitka a dew point or a different model

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have the Sitka dewpoint pant and jacket. Love them. They won’t hold up to brush though, especially deadfall. Sticks etc are not an issue but I tore 2 holes in my dewpoints on deadfall. Not sure anything will hold up to deadfall broke off limbs though? As far as the fit and finish and comfort I’m a big fan.

The foray is good for the price but I returned mine due to the length being a bit short. Ideally the jacket will cinch low enough to cover my mid layer and still be a few inches below my belt line and remain that way even when I’m taking my pack on and off and sitting down and standing up. It tended to ride up and expose my lower back/belt line. Not a huge deal though.

OP
A
A little post season update:
I ended up with the Sitka Dewpoint. Found one on sale at a great price and have had great luck with Sitkas products over the years so I had confidence buying it.

I used it very little on my MT hunt, outside of a windbreaker when it got single digits and windy. Worked great for that. Same scenario in Michigan upland and deer hunting. If it was cold and windy, I wore the Dew Point as an outer layer to keep the wind off. Worked great for that as expected and really breathed well.

Last weekend was Ohios muzzleloader season. Temps in the mid 20s to mid 30s, lots of rain. In one weekend I tore the hell out of this jacket going through fairly mild brush. Some thorns were present but I was pretty diligent about staying out of them. Still had several small tears and punctures in the jacket. I would not say I was overly hard on the jacket. Its just so thin I don't think it stood a chance. After the day my layer underneath showed spots water was coming through.

Another surprising thing is the jacket delamanited in the pockets from chemical handwarmers. I guess looking back I shouldn't have put them in there, but everything was damp or wet and the handwarmers didn't seem hot enough to do that kind of damage.

A little disappointed with the purchase, but it just shows me that I can't expect that kind of use to not tear up a lightweight rain jacket. Will probably have to end up with something thicker and tougher. If they made a longer in the waist version of their Delta Wading Jacket I'd probably go with that. Sacrifice some weight and bulkiness for durability. I've had a DWJ for 5 years and put it through the wringer duck hunting with no problems at all.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A little post season update:
I ended up with the Sitka Dewpoint. Found one on sale at a great price and have had great luck with Sitkas products over the years so I had confidence buying it.

I used it very little on my MT hunt, outside of a windbreaker when it got single digits and windy. Worked great for that. Same scenario in Michigan upland and deer hunting. If it was cold and windy, I wore the Dew Point as an outer layer to keep the wind off. Worked great for that as expected and really breathed well.

Last weekend was Ohios muzzleloader season. Temps in the mid 20s to mid 30s, lots of rain. In one weekend I tore the hell out of this jacket going through fairly mild brush. Some thorns were present but I was pretty diligent about staying out of them. Still had several small tears and punctures in the jacket. I would not say I was overly hard on the jacket. Its just so thin I don't think it stood a chance. After the day my layer underneath showed spots water was coming through.

Another surprising thing is the jacket delamanited in the pockets from chemical handwarmers. I guess looking back I shouldn't have put them in there, but everything was damp or wet and the handwarmers didn't seem hot enough to do that kind of damage.

A little disappointed with the purchase, but it just shows me that I can't expect that kind of use to not tear up a lightweight rain jacket. Will probably have to end up with something thicker and tougher. If they made a longer in the waist version of their Delta Wading Jacket I'd probably go with that. Sacrifice some weight and bulkiness for durability. I've had a DWJ for 5 years and put it through the wringer duck hunting with no problems at all.
We would recommend the

Men's AllClima 3L Rain Jacket​

Comes with FORLOH lifetime warranty