Patagonia R1 vs Sitka Heavyweight Hoody

PorkrollEgg&Cheese

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have a comparison for these two? Looking for something in a solid color with similar weight and warmth to the sitka heavyweight hoody without the hood. I have heard the patagonia r1 is a similar fleece material with a good warmth to weight ratio.

Thanks!

I have and use both. I would say the Sitka is a little more fuzzy on the inside. I couldn’t tell you a functional difference other than I prefer the Sitka fit slightly, but that is more of a personal factor.

I have a First lite grid fleece piece that was a predecessor to the Klamath but I am not sure about what is in their line up now.

Austink47

WKR
I use both. Without a scale I would say Sitka is lighter and yes soft fuzzy fleece on the inside. R1 is more stretchy, courser grid fleece, and breaths better, with that a less wind resistant. Both are really good mid layers. I hate Patagonia’s politics, but the R1 is one of my favorite pieces of clothing. There are specific instances when I prefer the Sitka but overall the R1 sees way more use.

I am huge fan of Patagonia clothing. I have two R1 fleece tops, one is hooded and the other is not. They are warm, but need a base layer for this warmth to work, at least for me. They are a great insulation layer that breathes well, great for moving, horrible for wind. I like to use mine with a synthetic base layer and a vest. I am also a fan of the fact that I can get it in orange for my hunting orange requirement.

This isn't a direct reply to the OP, but for those that might find this thread: Patagonia also makes an R1 TechFace that has a more durable face fabric and even less insulation than the R1. They also make an R2 TechFace that is about as warm and comfortable as a Snuggie; same durable face fabric as on the aforementioned R1 TF, but a much thicker fleece. I've found the face fabric on the TechFace versions to withstand moisture and wind a bit better than the conventional R1.

Sorry OP, both have hoods...

recam1024

FNG
Been using Patagonia for years. Mainly because of preference for solids. The above post is spot-on.

The R1 Techface is probably my favorites layer I’ve found. I wear mine pretty much everyday, cuts the wind well and is surprisingly water resistant while not being overly warm.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used both quite a bit and found them to be very similar performance wise. Very similar fabric, very similar weight and very similar breathability.

Both definitely in the active insulation realm, neither breathe very well, but that’s expected with such a piece.

I have an r1 I have had for over 10 years. Still wear it almost daily during the winter. I throw in pack for alpine camping in the summer. Love sleeping in it. The SG Helio is almost identical. Maybe a bit lighter? So far has been great too.