Sitka kelvin lite down 3/4, uncompaghre pants and a cheap pair of snow pants

So in my ridiculous pursuit of staying warm on stand for deer season I bought a pair of fanatic bibs last year that performed beautifully. They were a touch short so I "sold" them to my brother which has left me looking for a solution.

Since I already had stratus bibs I started to look at puffy pants as a viable option to take the stratus bibs down to colder temps.

Since I use a puffy as a layer under my jetstream jacket and use the jetstream primarily as a wind blocking shell I decided to try the same thing with the bibs.

In my search I thought I'd go with synthetic insulated pants, since it shouldn't compress as badly as down and I tried the first lite uncompaghre pants. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. Fit under the bibs well, fit my length well but not ultimately that much warmer than a pair of fleece Sweats. Ultimately returned to scheels and I was back on the hunt for something else that would fit the bill better

So then I caught a deal on kelvin lite down 3/4 pants. And since I sleep cold when I elk hunt, and get cold glassing I thought they'd be dual purpose.
Honestly they weren't bad either. Compressed a bit under the bibs, definitely warmer than the first lite, but not insanely so. More packable, and overall a really nice piece of gear.

Then I was with my wife at Target of all places. Yes I know, dangerous enemy territory....
And I stumbled onto this pair of clearance target brand (all in motion) snowpants and I started looking at them. Honestly, minus the lack of leg zips, they are damn near identical in fit and finish to the uncompaghre pants I had tried, but they felt like they had more insulation. Dwr treated, nylon reinforced knees, full synthetic. Zipper with 2 buttons ,Belt loops, adjustable velcro waistband. So for 20$ I snagged them to see how they'd do.
They fit perfectly under the stratus, and seem to be as warm as if not warmer than the kelvin lite down 3/4s.

They add a ton of warmth to the stratus bibs, and because of them being synthetic they don't seem to lose as much loft under the bibs. I will probably keep the kelvin lite downs for elk and packable use but for anybody looking for a cheap, very effective option to add extra warmth under your bibs that doesn't break the bank get to your local target and find them on clearance.
No they aren't perfect. Leg zips bwould be nice, and they won't pack down like you'd want for elk hunting out west, but damn they're warm and the fit is awesome. More durable than a typical puffy pant, and I would put them against the uncompaghres any day of the week for warmth.

Here's the link if anybody is interested

I've been using them for coyote hunting the last few weeks under my bibs and they have been fantastic.

OP
E
I should also say that if anybody knows a good seamstress I bet you could add zips to these and make your life even better.

OP
E
I've also used these just over my favorite dakota pants for calling coyotes and it's been fantastic. Throw them on when I hit my spot, sit tight and stay warm because the dwr on them has kept my butt dry sitting up against trees or on fence lines. I assume come deer season I'll pack them in, layer up before I throw on my saddle and then up I go so I'm not fiddling with them up in the tree. They aren't quiet enough for me to want to wear as an outer layer with deer close by, but under the stratus bibs they're not an issue at all

So in my ridiculous pursuit of staying warm on stand for deer season I bought a pair of fanatic bibs last year that performed beautifully. They were a touch short so I "sold" them to my brother which has left me looking for a solution.

Since I already had stratus bibs I started to look at puffy pants as a viable option to take the stratus bibs down to colder temps.

Since I use a puffy as a layer under my jetstream jacket and use the jetstream primarily as a wind blocking shell I decided to try the same thing with the bibs.

In my search I thought I'd go with synthetic insulated pants, since it shouldn't compress as badly as down and I tried the first lite uncompaghre pants. Not bad. Not great, but not bad. Fit under the bibs well, fit my length well but not ultimately that much warmer than a pair of fleece Sweats. Ultimately returned to scheels and I was back on the hunt for something else that would fit the bill better

So then I caught a deal on kelvin lite down 3/4 pants. And since I sleep cold when I elk hunt, and get cold glassing I thought they'd be dual purpose.
Honestly they weren't bad either. Compressed a bit under the bibs, definitely warmer than the first lite, but not insanely so. More packable, and overall a really nice piece of gear.

Then I was with my wife at Target of all places. Yes I know, dangerous enemy territory....
And I stumbled onto this pair of clearance target brand (all in motion) snowpants and I started looking at them. Honestly, minus the lack of leg zips, they are damn near identical in fit and finish to the uncompaghre pants I had tried, but they felt like they had more insulation. Dwr treated, nylon reinforced knees, full synthetic. Zipper with 2 buttons ,Belt loops, adjustable velcro waistband. So for 20$ I snagged them to see how they'd do.
They fit perfectly under the stratus, and seem to be as warm as if not warmer than the kelvin lite down 3/4s.

They add a ton of warmth to the stratus bibs, and because of them being synthetic they don't seem to lose as much loft under the bibs. I will probably keep the kelvin lite downs for elk and packable use but for anybody looking for a cheap, very effective option to add extra warmth under your bibs that doesn't break the bank get to your local target and find them on clearance.
No they aren't perfect. Leg zips bwould be nice, and they won't pack down like you'd want for elk hunting out west, but damn they're warm and the fit is awesome. More durable than a typical puffy pant, and I would put them against the uncompaghres any day of the week for warmth.

Here's the link if anybody is interested

I've been using them for coyote hunting the last few weeks under my bibs and they have been fantastic.
Thanks. I also have uncomp pants and just grabbed the 3/4 kelvins on sale for use under stratus bibs. I can put the uncomp over tge kelvins folliwed by the stratus. Havent tried in the elements yet. Maybe i will grab the target pants to try

OP
E
Thanks. I also have uncomp pants and just grabbed the 3/4 kelvins on sale for use under stratus bibs. I can put the uncomp over tge kelvins folliwed by the stratus. Havent tried in the elements yet. Maybe i will grab the target pants to try
Solid system I'd think for taking the stratus beyond the cool weather part of the year!

Another synthetic pant to look into is the surplus ECWS level 7 pants. I’m buying my second pair for $50 off FB marketplace tomorrow, and it includes side zips.

The top is no slouch either, and has been my go to trapping, predator hunting, and ice fishing jacket this year.

OP
E
Another synthetic pant to look into is the surplus ECWS level 7 pants. I’m buying my second pair for $50 off FB marketplace tomorrow, and it includes side zips.

The top is no slouch either, and has been my go to trapping, predator hunting, and ice fishing jacket this year.
That's what made me look at the snowpants in the first place. I was perusing the ecws level 7s and I realized that these snow pants were really not that different at all!