Sitka Vest ?, Dakota vs Stratus

mag1

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, quick question on the Sitka vests, what is the difference in the Dakota vs Stratus vests? The dakota has a marsh pattern that would be better then the optifade for where I whitetail hunt, but the stratus with the windstoper and outer micro fleece is the style I am looking for. I don't have a good retailer nearby that carries all the different vests.
thanks for any input

Personally, though I own them all, I actually prefer the Shacket for archery. Silent and versatile and I am a spot & stalk guy using it even though it's designed for tree squatters.

LOL, tree squatters, thats a good one.

I'm looking at the vests for mid season, and also to layer of a softshell to help cut wind. possibly even late season over softshell/puffy combo. depends on temps. I've been know to sit out in
-F temps and high winds, 2.5 miles or more from the truck.

Personally I like the Dakota vest over Stratus. The Waterfowl camo works great in cornfields too!

I also have the Jetsteam vest in the newer sub-Alpine camo. Like it better than Stratus too.

I think the Stratus was lighter weight of the3 I mentioned.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Crap I don't remember.

Pretty sure they're different, the Dakota is a stiffer material.

I’m looking for a micro fleece outer layer. That marsh pattern is good for where I hunt but I’m afraid it would be to noisy in the brush I get into.

I’m looking for a micro fleece outer layer. That marsh pattern is good for where I hunt but I’m afraid it would be to noisy in the brush I get into.
You might be right. IIRC now the Dakota Marsh was noisier when brushing against stuff

The Stratus is fine, its warm for it weight, quite and wind proof. The deer can care less about the pattern

This guy didnt mind the camo on my stratus vest
d1782c1b7c108c25944e13151c766ab0.jpg

👍🏻 That’s kind of my idea, when warmer, just over a base layer, when mid
Season use with a soft shell to break up a solid.

Last edited:
I would go the stratus vest for sure if you use a tree stand. The camo is designed agents how the white tail see danger. It is designed for a white tail to look up at you 15 degrees or more.( It brakes you up with the sky and doesn't trigger the danger defense.

Im taking my Dakota vest to Wy with me as it covers all my needs: water resistant; upper and lower lined fleeced pockets; sternum pocket; wind resistant; mobility under layering if need be...

Back