Sleep pads

Thanks for the recommendations for tarps.
Now what is lightest sleeping pad for mid September. I am not a fan of the foldable foam pads .
Alaskan hunt , hiking up into mountains .
Trying to keep pack weight down to minimum.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Probably one of those Thermarest Uber lites. They are only 2.3 r value though. You could probably get something a bit warmer without much of a weight penalty and sleep a lot better in though. I got an xtherm and it’s been great, still nice and compact and not too heavy.

JordanM

FNG
I think it just depends on your tolerance for pain. The Uberlite is just that. If you use a foam Z-lite pad for a glass pad like I do, you could put that under your torso (I recommend 6 sections, 8 if you aren’t a midget like me) to get a little more insulation. The Xlite is great by itself. That SG bag isn’t cheap or light. My personal recommendation is to go with a heavier pad (cough cough Xtherm) and go with a lighter bag. My 20 deg Vesper quilt, Reg/Wide w/inflation sack, and Borah DCF bivy is almost the same weight as just your bag. Listen to Thinhorn. The new Xtherm is 3” thick, warmer and quieter. I have them both and the new Nemo tensor extreme. I’m taking the Xtherm this fall to AK again.

fshaw

WKR
I think it just depends on your tolerance for pain. The Uberlite is just that. If you use a foam Z-lite pad for a glass pad like I do, you could put that under your torso (I recommend 6 sections, 8 if you aren’t a midget like me) to get a little more insulation. The Xlite is great by itself. That SG bag isn’t cheap or light. My personal recommendation is to go with a heavier pad (cough cough Xtherm) and go with a lighter bag. My 20 deg Vesper quilt, Reg/Wide w/inflation sack, and Borah DCF bivy is almost the same weight as just your bag. Listen to Thinhorn. The new Xtherm is 3” thick, warmer and quieter. I have them both and the new Nemo tensor extreme. I’m taking the Xtherm this fall to AK again.
Agree with this. The Xtherm isn’t too much heavier than the lighter pads but is significantly better in colder conditions.

madcalfe

WKR
I switched from a thermarest Xlite to the new Neoair NXT pad from my September goat hunt. 7.3 R value and 15oz. summertime hunts ill still use the lighter Xlite probably.

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a Thermarest Neoair for a long time. I switched and let my wife use it and I slept on her sleeping pad with a much lower R Value, and yes it is legit, I froze on her pad and promptly shelled out the money to get her a Thermarest Neoair as well. They are well worth the money in my opinion.

199p

FNG
I have the NXT Xthurm in a regular wide and its a game changer, can run a lite quilt or bag and its super toasty. found a bigger pad = way better sleep way way better.
Well worth a little more weight for a much better recovery

NXT is super quiet to sleep on compaired to the old one

Just got back from a 4 day hunt in NM and used the Thermarest NeoAir XLite NXT (after upgrading from the previous model that sounded like tinfoil). The night temps ranged from mid 20s to low 40s. Each night I was warm and slept well, which is all you can ask for in a sleeping pad. The icing on the cake is it is super light, too.

I mainly use an xlite, but I think I’m going to take a little bit of weight penalty for something a little tougher this year, I despise leaky pads, and the xlite hasn’t been very reliable.

CMF

WKR
I have therma rest Xtherm and Sea to summit Ether lite xt. I hate the crinkling of the xtherm, its like sleeping on a bag of doritos. I prefer the Ether lite, i think it's a little wider too

Is that 7.3 rating legit? That seems too good to be true for 15oz.

I upgraded to this pad last season, used it on a goat hunt in sept and a sheep hunt in Oct. I found myself getting pretty warm with the pad while using a SG 15 bag. I got the regular wide mummy, it is more than enough room to roll around on. The only thing I noticed is I’d have to air it up again most evenings before going to bed. Overall I like the pad, and it is much quieter than older models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
I switched from a thermarest Xlite to the new Neoair NXT pad from my September goat hunt. 7.3 R value and 15oz. summertime hunts ill still use the lighter Xlite probably.

I upgraded to this pad last season, used it on a goat hunt in sept and a sheep hunt in Oct. I found myself getting pretty

What about the noise with the XTherm NXT? Does it have the same crinkle sound as the older xtherm pads or is it quieter?

Driftin

FNG
Yea, the thermarest neo is a little warmer. Just putting down a wool blanket on the mattress works too.