Sleep system for Colorado 2nd season Mule Deer

Greyes

WKR
I currently have nothing for a sleeping system. I am wanting to put together a system that I can use over a wide variety of temperatures without changing anything major. I'm not sure if that is really possible. I will be heading to North central Colorado for second season Mule deer this year. What are your guy's best recommendations for a sleep system?

sneaky

"DADDY"
A neoair xtherm pad and a WM Badger sleeping bag would cover you for just about everything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
0 Degree bag and a good insulated pad, test it before you go out. Are you wanting to go with a tent or a tarp/tipi capable of running a stove?

OP
G

Greyes

WKR
0 Degree bag and a good insulated pad, test it before you go out. Are you wanting to go with a tent or a tarp/tipi capable of running a stove?
I guess that brings up another question. Do I go floorless shelter like a Kifaru Supertarp, or a 4 season tent? I like the versatility of the tarp in terms of several different uses and being able to run a stove, but I'm not sure thats the best choice for a late season hunt.

elkduds

WKR
I currently have nothing for a sleeping system. I am wanting to put together a system that I can use over a wide variety of temperatures without changing anything major. I'm not sure if that is really possible. I will be heading to North central Colorado for second season Mule deer this year. What are your guy's best recommendations for a sleep system?
What is elevation of your camp? Base camp or packing in? Cot or not?

elkduds

WKR
Base camp will be around 10-11k. We'll be packing in 4-5 miles, no cot.
If you are neither a hot nor cold sleeper, meaning comfortable in a 0 degree bag @10 degrees on an R4 pad, I suggest: R4 pad (Klymit Static V insulated for example).

Down bag, 10 or 0 degree rated; only if you can keep it dry in rain, snow, heavy condensation. 5 miles in, @ O temp in a wet down bag misery is the best you can hope for, potentially hunt-ending or deadly. If not certain of keeping it dry, 0 degree synthetic bag. Alternative: 20 degree down bag w bivy sack.

Tipi or pyramid tent w stove, 4 man size for 2 guys/stove.

You and buddies have to carry all this in. If using pack stock you could make some other choices.

skierhs

WKR
Base camp will be around 10-11k. We'll be packing in 4-5 miles, no cot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So a higher country camp in Colorado for second rifle can be super warm or very cold with deep snow. So for a complete sleep system I’d go with something that can be very warm or cool depending on what you need.

For a do all sleep system I’d go with the following:
Sleeping bag, western mountaineering antelope bag(down rated for 5 degrees.) you can move the down around to make it warmer or colder depending on what you need.

Sleeping pad, my favorite pad has been the Q-core from big agnes. It weighs a little more but is one of the most comfortable pads I’ve used to date.

Shelter, this is where a lot of personal choice comes into play. My first choice for a all around shelter would be a hillenberg nallo gt 2. It’s a bombproof tent and is designed to weather any storm fine. The outer tent runs to the ground so it keeps the inside noticeably warmer.the tent can be opened up to be very cool and comfortable. The second choice would be a tarp and bivy if your able to go that option. You’re able to pitch this combo anywhere, and with the suggested sleeping bag you’ll be plenty warm enough. Having a small tarp (like the kifaru sheep tarp) is amazing to be able to keep you out of the elements.

diyhntr

FNG
I’ve hunted 2nd season in southwest Colorado. I used a MSR Hubba Hubba tent with a Big Agnes Q-core pad and a Sierra Designs 15 degree bag. I’m a cold sleeper so I also used a hand warmer in my bag at night. I camped at 9700 ft. with no snow. I had no issues. With that said a couple years prior to that we had a base camp (trailer) and had 60 degree temps during the day and woke up to 18” of snow. Weather can make big swings in a short amount of time so kinda depends on how comfortable you are with it.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going with a kifaru tut w/stove, Nemo Ramsey 15 degree with liner, and xlite pad. Will throw on my puffy layer if I get cold at night

DBuck

Lil-Rokslider
If you're not packing in I'd recommend going with a kodiak canvas tent with a buddy heater in it.