Colorado Mule Deer Outfitter review

TBO1

FNG
Classified Approved
Looking to burn 21 mule deer points in Colorado and made the decision to do our first guided hunt. We have narrowed the choice down to Needle Rock Outfitters or Rugged Rack Outfitters in unit 53 third season. I got some intel from Huntin Fool but was wondering if anyone has any experience with either outfit. We are a group of four hunters that have been doing DIY hunts for 20 years in Colorado and Wyoming but want to improve the odds on shooting a good buck since we have been waiting for 20 years to hunt. Expectations would be 160 to 180 inch deer or opportunity. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tupp

FNG
Following! I’d be interested to see some recommendations as well

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Also following. I've been looking the last couple years and I am at 15 points. Those two outfitters are the first I've seen that add a trophy fee for the score on bucks. Not saying that's good or bad,

OP
TBO1

TBO1

FNG
Classified Approved
Yes, low man has / will have 21 points.

Tupp

FNG
I do not have 21 points lol, just following to see what the recommendations are.

Deucebump

WKR
Curious to how many NR tags some of the 20+ point units even have. I burned 15 last year and the hunt I chose only had 6 NR tags. Makes me wonder if there is even 4 tags in the same unit for all of you to draw.

Just some food for thought, most any unit that requires that many points should easily have deer of that caliber in them. Unless you are set on hunting late season that is mostly private ground, why not save a bunch of $$ and the 4 of you go DIY? You could easily go scout a time or 2 and still be well under what you are going to pay for an outfitter in a premium hunt. I know it is not for everybody and I understand the fear of burning 20+ points on DIY, so it is just a suggestion. I made that decision last year and do not regret it one bit. I shot a 170 buck 100% on my own on public land and saved about $7k over what the outfitter was going to charge. Could I have possibly added another 10-15 inches of antler for that $7k? Maybe, but I am glad I did it on my own.

If this is the case def wait a year and get the 4th season tag IMO.
Looks like you can draw a 4th season tag if you wait one more year!
View attachment 688920

The CPW commission is likely going back to 2015 season dates for 2025. Waiting another year would only get this guy another year older for a chance to hunt the same season dates, except his hunt will be five days instead of the current seven days for third season.