Sleeping bag cover recommendations

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
I am headed into the field this week for my first sheep hunt here in Alaska and I want a light cover for my sleeping bag. Is this necessary for a down bag? I am running a WM Versalite if that helps. I am torn here. I will be using a tent for reference if that helps.

If you're using a traditional tent (floored), you don't need any type of a cover for your sleeping bag. By cover, I'm assuming you mean a bivy of some sort?

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
If you're using a traditional tent (floored), you don't need any type of a cover for your sleeping bag. By cover, I'm assuming you mean a bivy of some sort?

Yes some sort of bivy. Although when I look for them they are all stand alone ones and that’s not what I want. I think I will just skip this item and save weight. I have trust in the tent and bag. Weather looks to be warm next week but I know that can and will change quickly.

I never worried about any type of bivy when I used floored tents, and never had any issues. I've been using floorless shelters for all my mountain hunts, for the last 6 years or so, and always use a UL wt. bivy now.

OP
tbone131

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. I have a Kifaru 8 man tipi with stove but decided it was too heavy for this hunt, lol. I will have to get a sawtooth or similar.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Borah gear... their ultralight bivy's are really well made, lite, and affordable (about $100), and only weighs about 7oz. He also does custom work for just a few dollars more.

http://borahgear.com/sidebivy.html

There's also Titanium Goat, and a few others.

Aqua Quest makes a standard size one for about $70, but it weighs more than twice as much, and I don't know if it will fit really cold weather bags. https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Quest-Mummy-Bivy-Bag/dp/B018MWJ3VY