What Sleeping Bag?

thatguy

FNG
Hey guys, new western mountain hunting and have no clue about bags. Looking to get a good sleeping bag. I'm in the buy once cry once camp. Anyways, I'm considering getting a 0° bag to use for all seasons. Looking at getting one I can use as a quilt for warmer nights. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a western mountaineering badger for a buy once, cry once bag. It’s awesome. The one I have is 15 degrees but they make 0 degree bags too.

Feathered friends is just as nice as western mountaineering too so they are certainly worth a look. I don’t think there’s really any other bags to compare to WM and FF.

AKDoc

WKR
^^same here^^
WM Badger MF (micro-fiber outer shell)...best bag I've ever owned...period.

With down bags I always mention the significant importance of a sleeping pad with a high R-rating. For my field uses up here, an R-7 or higher works great for me.

I’ll add yet another vote for Western Mountaineering. I took the $600+ plunge and bought a Badger last year and I love it. I’ve slept in it down to 15 degrees and was plenty warm. Just had an Antelope 5 deg delivered for my wife to use this year as well and they are very high quality bags. It is a little painful hitting the order button since they are expensive but you’ll be happy you did.

For a budget option, I have 0 and 30 Enlightened Equipment quilts. Both have been solid through a dozen+ uses each for 2 years, though the neck snap broke off the 0. Haven't gotten around to trying to have them fix it yet, it still stays snug with just the drawstring.

I’ve been using a Sierra Designs 5* down bag for the past 15+ years and it’s been great (other than the zipper that’s tough to close and open). I just bit the bullet and ordered a Western Mountaineering Kodiak 0* with the gore windstopper shell. Everything WM is super quality and the GWS shell is awesome. They have been making the best bags for many years and the quality is still there. Like others have said buy once cry once and get a down 0*, 5* or 15* (whatever suits your hunting style) and be done with it. Call Black Ovis and ask for best pricing possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give the Sierra Designs backcountry bed a look. It’s a hybrid quilt/mummy bag. It has a sleeve for your pad and a foothole as well. No zippers to mess with. I’m about 5’10” and went with the long version, it made it a bit wider as well. The rating is 30° but I layer inside my bag since I’m already bringing layers for static glassing.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
For early season I use down quilts. Anything after October I use a 15 degree and clothing makes up the rest. I've never felt the need for a 0 degree with the technical gear they make now

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Got the WM Terralite 25 degree bag this year and wasn't disappointed. Consider how you like to sleep when looking at bag design and sizes.

You will likely find that one 0 degree bag is too hot and uncomfortable for most of the early season hunts.

Lando

WKR
Look for a used WM, Stone Glacier Chilkoot or FF.

Another good option is the Zenbivy light or a wide quilt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, Cumulus, PhD Designs. All top shelf bags, PhD and Cumulus will do custom work, WM will do overfill but no custom colors or material choices.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
T

thatguy

FNG
Hey guys, thinking of just diving head first and getting a sequoia from Westerm Mountaineering. Meets both my requirements. On the expensive side but, I refuse to sacrifice comfort when sleeping. You'll never get me outa bed if I don't sleep right. Let alone hike all day on a mountain. Thanks for everything! Y'all also pointed me to some other great brands. Thank you!

rcb2000

WKR
Hey guys, thinking of just diving head first and getting a sequoia from Westerm Mountaineering. Meets both my requirements. On the expensive side but, I refuse to sacrifice comfort when sleeping. You'll never get me outa bed if I don't sleep right. Let alone hike all day on a mountain. Thanks for everything! Y'all also pointed me to some other great brands. Thank you!

You won’t regret that for one minute, good call.