sleeping bag

what temp bag should i be looking at for late august for a caribou hunt knowing i am going to be going back for a moose hunt in a year or 2?

thanks

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
A good 15 degree bag and a good r value pad and you’ll be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There is nothing worse than freezing your ass off overnight and not getting any sleep. Been there multiple times and will not do it again. I always bring a bag that's "too warm" for the temps as a safety net. Open the thing up or sleep on top of it if you get too warm.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
Pads can be a bit of a personal choice. I opt for a heavier pad because I’m a side sleeper and like the sea to summit comfort plus. You will be doing yourself a huge favor if you grab a thermarest x-lite or similar. Great for sitting on to glass, at camp, and added insulation/padding under your sleeping pad.

For a pillow, best thing I started doing years ago was just packing a pillow case and throwing all my puffy clothes into it, twist it tight and tie a not in it so it doesn’t shift around. Just like having a down pillow. All the pillows on the market that I tried, they make my head sweat and stick to it throughout the night. Kind of miserable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
i will look into them.....once again i appreciate your taking the time to respond!!

I used a Kelty 20 deg bag last fall elk hunting with an inflatable mattress and pad and was freezing even with a down jacket on at around 30 deg at night. I recently got the Mountain Hardwear Bishop Pass 0F bag for next season. I have not been able to test it in the cold yet but my initial impressions are good. I would recommend a good 0 deg bag just to cover your bases. Also be aware that the rating is misleading and can be the survival rating and not the comfort rating. So a 20 deg bag will be miserable at 20 deg but you will survive.