Sleeping in your bag with clothes

60x

WKR
So Ive been looking at some new down sleep bags and always seem to read about guys wearing thier insulation when sleeping. I remember hearing long ago that that was bad. Reason being is that your body gets used to that extra layer of clothes kind of like a second skin and they lose thier insulation value in the morning when you are out of the bag. Curious if anyone ever heard this or even if there is any truth in it. Opinions?

Last edited:

sab

Lil-Rokslider
It's not exactly true. As long as you're not compressing the insulation layers by packing your bag with too much stuff (your body and extra clothing) and you're not sweating excessively, the extra insulation will definitely keep you warmer.

Regards,
Scott

I do this often when my clothes are wet (never in a down bag), and my clothes always dry out while I sleep. I always wake up the next morning warm and dry. This doesn't really answer your question, but it works very well for drying out clothing.

I always wear light polypro in my bag (I own no merino yet) to protect my bag, keep the bag from sticking to me, & keep me a bit warmer if needed. I change into my hunting set when I wake. I have never noticed the phenomenon you are referring to.

JP100

WKR
Im a scrawny bastard who feels the cold so I usually wear merinos and a beanie as a minimum in my sleeping bag. Also have a merino liner for when its proper cold. soo nice and warm haha.
Of course its cold when you get out in the morning but not sure how clothes can "loose insulation value" ??
If your inside nice and warm and get out into the cold youl be freezing for a bit until you adjust to it. Thats my 10 cents

Stid2677

WKR
I will wear my down jacket on really cold nights, I will also use my clothes to stuff into a stuff sack to serve as a pillow and also it keeps my clothes warm so I don't have to slip into cold clothes in the morning.

What is really nice is to stick my arm out and light that oval stove that was prepared before bed,, ahhhhh nothing like the smell and feel on a warm wood stove to motivate you to get up and at it. :)

IMGP4274_zpsf391c23a.jpg

2rocky

WKR
Sleeping wear for me (if I need it) starts with a stocking cap. I usually have a pair of shorts and cotton tshirt to sleep in just to let my skin breath a little bit.

This is where a lower temp rating on the bag pays off.

I've felt that cold seeping trrough where the down is compressed before... not fun...

crazyelk

FNG
I sleep with what I am going to wear in my bag to keep them warm so it is easier to put them on in the morning. Otherwise I only wear a beanie on my head.

Bighorse

WKR
What nobody is talking about is the moisture that builds up on your crotch, feet, and pits. Getting into a set of clothing to get those creases aired out and dry is benifitial to your long term performance. Get yourself a case of monkey butt or rotten feet and the fun is over. Bring some talc, wipes, or just air dry your parts in the evening before going from full on hiking beast to sleeping. In the rainforest I have a sleeping set of garments that are dry. If needed they can be put into the rotation as a layer. I haven't used a wood stove in the mountains yet. I'm trying to have my strategy in place for quick morning deployment and so far a wood stove doesn't allow for quick break down of camp. I've carried it but just haven't used it yet.

Beaches, Base camps are a whole different strategy and I'm bringing creature comforts and living well.

Is it hunting season yet!?

Stid2677

WKR
I guess all those years in the Army sleeping in my clothes and being ready to jump up and get at has made me hard or stupid, maybe they are the same :) Heck,, I have gone over a week with never taking my boots off, had to burn stuff a couple times but that made the pack lighter.

just grease up with Boudreaux's Butt Paste and let the patina build up. :)

JP100

WKR
In the rainforest I have a sleeping set of garments that are dry.

HOW?? I live in a "rainforest" and dry is just a myth. we are damp all the time. the clothes in my draws are damp most of the time haha.

And its allways hunting season!! haha

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I find that wearing a merino wool set when sleeping gives you a bit of variance one way or the other when it comes to regulating your body temp. Its thin enough to not take away from a down bags insulating qualities, but it just keeps you off of the cold shell of the bag. It also keeps them warm for when you wake up.

I wear my clothes to in the sleeping bag about as often as not. If I can, I'll swap out my merino layer so I can sleep with something dry against my skin.

Were I've gotten into trouble is when I've worn my insulation layers in the bag. For some reason that will often set off a sweat > shiver > sweat > shiver cycle that messes with my sleep. I think I'm just reducing breathability too much at that point. Of late when I realize I'm pushing the boundaries of my bag temp rating, I'll trying put my insulation layers on top of the pad and/or on top of the bag.

Wearing merino really helps me with good sleep... just seems to keep my body temp regulated.

Yk

Lawnboi

WKR
I wear whatever is necessary and use the rest as a pillow to keep it warm. One reason I like synthetic bags. I always seem to wake up dry in them. Even if I go to bed damp.

My favorite piece to sleep in. Well my favorite all time piece is without a doubt the Sitka traverse top and sometimes bottom.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I tried to find some more info on the net to share but just found some bits and pieces nothing concrete.. Im a hot sleeper so no clothes for me. I have dried out some clothes in the bag though. Big horse good point... Gotta take care of those special parts..
Stid... I've been known to fire up the well pleased msr a time or two.. Kind of a great feeling to get out of the sack in a warm tent especially on those cold damp mornings..

strawhunt

FNG
I almost always at least have a merino layer, it keeps the bag from getting grimy, and I feel that its more comfortable than nothing at all. unless its really warm in the backcountry but then its easier to sleep with the bag open and still wear the merino.

Gman

WKR
I wear my clothes to in the sleeping bag about as often as not. If I can, I'll swap out my merino layer so I can sleep with something dry against my skin.

Were I've gotten into trouble is when I've worn my insulation layers in the bag. For some reason that will often set off a sweat > shiver > sweat > shiver cycle that messes with my sleep. I think I'm just reducing breathability too much at that point. Of late when I realize I'm pushing the boundaries of my bag temp rating, I'll trying put my insulation layers on top of the pad and/or on top of the bag.

Wearing merino really helps me with good sleep... just seems to keep my body temp regulated.

Yk

Pretty much this....

I'm sure this is a well known trick, but if I dont want to sleep in my clothing, I boil water (usually snow, or creek water so I dont waste drinking water), fill a nalgene to the top so its just flowing over, then seal lid super tight and toss in bottom of bag. Its like a radiator. I usually get too warm doing this and end up unzipping. But if its super cold it'll get the job done. As for condensation, or getting the swamp butt, i cant really say. I've only done it three times. First two I was so excited to wake up warm, I didn't notice moisture in the bag. Third time, there was a tiny amount of air in the bottle, and it didnt stay warm at all. Lastly, i've always had an abundance of water and fuel to boil lots of water, so I've used a 32oz nalgene. I'm sure it would work about the same with a smaller bottle, but might not stay warm as long due to the lack of volume.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I always wear a long sleeve shirt so that I can leave my bag open without getting chilled. I'm a warm sleeper and this is the best way for me to regulate my body temp.

If I have wet clothes, I will either wear them or put them in my bag with me. I almost always wear my socks to dry them too. I use down bags and quilts and have had no problem drying my clothes in my bag.