Sleeping pad for bad back

gs98

FNG
Does anyone have any recommendations for a sleeping pad for a bad back? I’m currently using a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite that has not worked for me at all. I’m a side sleeper mainly.

Trial153

WKR
Pay the weight penalty and up move to an exped. The thicker version have enough support and substance to handle side sleepers.
Another option that find worked for me is a folding foam mat that I use in conjunction with your pad. In fact that would probably be my first move to try before buying an totally new pad.

As others have said, Exped is good. I have one. However, for me the Klymit Insulated V coupled with an older Luxury Lite cot (B4 Thermarest bought them) was the answer! I am a side sleeper as well, and even though there is a weight penalty with the cot, I get the rest I need.

tttoadman

WKR
I have gone to an Exped 7. I can't work with anything thinner than that. Remember a sleeping pad and pillow needs tuned in just like everything else we do. Tune in the fill on the pad and pillow to hold everything in line when on your side. I have had a lower back operation and a C5-C7 fusion. My poor sleep and sore neck and back substantially go away when I take the time to get it right instead of settling for just "I'll be OK".

Last edited:

Rican0624

Lil-Rokslider
I have a neoair xtherm which isn’t the most comfortable for me but is very warm. I recently received the 2019 version of the Nemo tensor for early season and summer backpack trips and it is noticeably more comfortable and quiet.

Mike 338

WKR
For a different approach to an uncomfortable sleep, could be worth trying a hammock. For the most part, the normal stresses on your skeleton are not present although if you get one that's to small, it could be a bit uncomfortable. Slept on one the last two nights in the backyard and slept great, with no hip, shoulder, back or knee stress.

RF41

FNG
Has anyone tried the sea to summit comfort plus insulated? I saw it got great reviews for comfort but looks like its still only 2.5 inches thick

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I’m in the same boat. I’m a Hotshot wildland firefighter and sleep outside and on the ground about 100 nights a year not including hunting. I’ve also got a tweaked back but it is getting better. Wondering what Exped model you guys are using?

MtnMuley

WKR
Would be nice to know what where you guys envision using these pads. If it's car camping or 1 mile in camping, then it would be totally opposite if we're talking backcountry pads.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Mine would be car camping, or more like big green hotshot buggy camping. I also forgot to mention that it has to be fast in setup. Said paid has to broken down every morning and blown up every night as we constantly move around to different parts of a fire. Any recommendations?

Last edited: