Sleeping Pad v. Cot, Brooks Range AK

OXN939

WKR
Hey gents. Headed to the Brooks Range for Caribou next month, and was wondering if anyone who has done the hunt could recommend whether it's worth bringing an ultralite backpacking cot or not. I seem to remember the tundra being a pretty cushy substrate, so was thinking a Thermarest sleeping pad might suffice, but figured I'd make sure nobody was of the opinion that a cot was the most valuable piece of gear they had in their camp or anything. Thanks in advance.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Anyone used one of these in Alaska and care to throw me a bone before I'm shelling out those Helinox dineros?

rlmmarine

WKR
I didn't hunt alaska but I was in nunavut for caribou last year. A air matress was all you needed. Not sure of alaska though

Beendare

WKR
FYI, its always better to be up off the ground......but you will still need a Matt with the cot....though I typically use a thinner version.....and typically on those hunts you are limited on the gear you can take; less is better.

I typically don't take a cot on those hunts....but sure it would be a little better if you have the room.

Did this hunt last year, bought a cot, tried it a few times at home, and opted for the pad. No regrets on the pad, one of the 5 guys I went with had a cot. He liked it too. Can't really go wrong either way, but I wouldn't say a cot is necessary by any means.

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Eh. I'm sending it on the Helinox. What's a hundred or so extra bucks to be well-rested enough to fully enjoy one of the most beautiful places on the planet? My buddy and I, combined, weigh well under 300 lbs, so the air service we're using said we could bring a few extra lbs. Big selling point of that Helinox is how light and small it is- 2.6 lbs probably not a deal breaker on the load plan.