Sleeping tips for the backcountry

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
A long and wide insulated pad, a long, wide, and warm quilt, and a nice comfy pillow (Nemo Fillo).

I save weight on a lot of things but I'm not having anything screw up my sleep when I need to recharge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I sleep like a baby on my Neoair. I am cold blooded so usually have a 0 degree bag even in the summer in high alpine country. I can always open my sleeping bag or even sleep on top if its hot. If I don't have warm enough clothes or bag I'll be miserable! I often sleep in the back of my topper when truck camping. I'm out of any weather...snow., sleet, rain, wind and don't have to worry about anything. When packing in it's always nice to have sturdy tent capable of withstanding high wind, snow, etc with lots of room!

tdot

WKR
This sometimes can be tricky where I’ve been going the last couple years. Seems like even the flattest spot still have a slope. Enough to where my pad is always sliding down on my tyvek. I put my pack at my feet to try and help that but it really didn’t much. I always have to get up and reposition everything. I’m going to a floored shelter next year to see if having the enclosed walls and no tyvek will help any. I have a pretty luxurious sleep system that is great when I’m on truly level ground, well at least level enough to keep me from slowly sliding down hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add thin strips of silicone or polyurethane (preferred) sealants on the tyvek. I used a 1/16" v notch trowel to spread a bead that I placed every 6" or so... I'm sure you could get away with even less. it'll give your pad something to stick to. You may need to stake your tyvek down to stop it from sliding along with you.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Advil PM about 30 minutes prior to getting in sleeping bag.
Level ground and if not then head elevated
Earplugs, eye mask, stocking cap and facemark with gloves and wool socks if very cold temperatures. I have been in temps where ever item of clothing was on top of the bag with a wool blanket over that.
Same pillow I use at home though cut down to about 1/2 of width and length. I did this on own but a tailor can do if not handy with needle and thread.
Have your game plan for when wake decided before you get in the sleeping bag so can shut off your mind rather than dwell on things. I know where I want to be as sun rises the next day and my clothes are laid out. My job as get into the sleeping bag is to relax and doze off for four to six hours which is about all can manage early season when sun is out into evening then rising early.
I find using a ziplock faster and less disruptive than getting up to whiz, especially when is cold.
I 100% avoid booze until the critter is tagged.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I often don't sleep well for 1-2 nights in a new location. It could be a friend's couch, queen-sized bed in a hotel, or a thermarest in a tent. Then I get used to it – the background sounds, seeking the more comfortable sleeping positions unconsciously, etc. After a night or two, I'm sleeping well again.
Decades ago, I'd lead 9-day BPing trips. The first night or two felt like re-learning to sleep on a thermarest, although the timing got shorter on subsequent trips. It was like my brainstem relearned how to wiggle back onto the sleeping pad without my having to awake to do so.
Hiking long mileage days helps me sleep soundly.
In new hotels, I'll put find a record of white noise (search iTunes or youtube for "white noise" "hair dryer" "vacuum cleaner") on my phone or iPod. I admit it is the antithesis of a wilderness experience, but it works for me.

mtnkid85

WKR
A few things Ive found that help are putting in ear plugs, especially if your sleeping near someone else. A change of clothes, If Im backpacking then all that means is changing out my socks, but I keep an extra pair of socks mostly to just sleep in. If Im at the truck or close to then Ill toss in a cotton t shirt to sleep in.
Those are in addition to everything else mentioned already, comfy pad, two pillows, etc.

I also sleep better when I know Ive kept a good clean camp, no cooking close by, no food or smells to worry about. Getting setup in some kind of wind break helps too, being battered by wind all night long is a sure fire way to be up listening to flapping nylon all night.

I have pinpointed sleep as one of the key weak points in my game, separating me from making the most of my time in the mountains. I recently upgraded to a bigger pad and am going to try a sleep aid to help insure against restless nights.

What other tips and tricks do you guys have to help make sure you get a good nights sleep?
Buy a hammock

tttoadman

WKR
Advil PM
Inflatable pillow
I have a bathtub floor for my floorless setups.
Put your boots on the side you seem to roll to. Also cram my dry bags against the head and foot.
I now have only long wide pads.
I either sleep in my merino bottoms or I slip them between my legs when on my side. It keeps my legs from getting sweaty and just seems more comfortable.

I have narcolepsy but a fused neck and bad back. If I can keep my neck straight, sleep generally comes easy for me.

Jauwater

WKR
I switched to a wide pad, which has really helped. A decent pillow is nice as well. I also find to sleep better when I'm wearing less clothes, so a proper degree bag, with alittle room helps with comfort. Regardless of how comfortable I am, I always expect that I'm gonna wake up in the middle of the night, and fight going back to sleep. I'm not a big reader, but I've found reading helps put me back to sleep. Still today, it's not uncommon for me to wake up at 2am, and be up the rest of the day. But I've found if I pick up a book I'm usually ready to fall back asleep within an hour. I know several people that use this method, which works for them as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no expert, but I'll offer something that helps me...

Take a salt/electrolyte tablet of some kind (I use SaltStick brand caplets - easy to find on Amazon). It helps prevent muscle cramping, and even better, reduces the likelihood of having to wake up in the middle of the cold night to take a leak.

Sleeping is such a personal thing to determine. I started refining what works for me at home on the hard floor so my sleep is better when it matters on the mountainside.
Side sleeping- I need more neck support more pillow support (Nemo Fillo like some have mentioned)
Meds- Advil is good. 1 mg Melatonin and I wake up 18 hours later. 2/3 of my day gone.
Staying warm- It’s rare that I’m hunting in hot weather in WY, so my set up is different here vs FL. Merino layers and a down mummy.
There’s so many good suggestion on this site. But I’d suggest experimenting now in the comfort of your own home to see what’s best for you. If something sucks, you can always crawl into your bed where you know the sleeps better.

I was a Sailor, so I can sleep anywhere, anytime.

My one trick: I do sleep more soundly if I drink a very small coffee a few hours before bed.

OXN939

WKR
Alcohol and Tylenol PM will make you tired, but destroy your natural sleep architecture. Avoid those.

If you don't have a job that prohibits its use, CBD oil is pretty incredible. Lowers inflammation, enhances recovery and puts you to sleep nicely without feeling groggy the next day.

Wrench

WKR
I keep my pad in a lightweight bivvy with my bag. It simply can't escape me....which eliminates cold spots, hard spots and early wakeup. It's a pound penalty but keeps my gear clean and where it belongs.

OP
Thanks to all of you for all of the great tips.

I have been testing CBD with great success at home, however the oil form is going to be less user friendly than I’d like for the backcountry; looking into other options there.

Also playing with the idea of picking up a more spacious sleeping bag or quilt. I’m really liking the idea of the backcountry body bag from Kifaru, just wishing they had a 0 or even a 10 degree option.

This thread has a lot of great tidbits that I can’t wait to put to use in the coming weeks. Thanks!

mlgc20

WKR
The best sleep I get all year are during my backcountry trips to Yellowstone. There were two things that made that possible. First was a good pillow. I use the Exped Air Pillow with an ultralight down pillow put into a custom sized pillow case. The other big thing was switching from a sleeping bag to a quilt. I'm an active sleeper, and moving in a quilt is much easier. I run a Ketabatic Gear Palisade. Don't know how I slept in the backcountry without it.

tdot

WKR
I was a Sailor, so I can sleep anywhere, anytime.

My one trick: I do sleep more soundly if I drink a very small coffee a few hours before bed.

Ha, I sail too, spent too many overnight races in a TP52, think 50 foot carbon/nomex coffin, travelling at 20 knots. It was so loud that my custom earplugs barely knocked the noise down. I grew to love and almost need that noise... Now the backcountry is too quite for me :)