Slik Tripod center post sticking

Corhunter

FNG
I just picked up a used CF Pro 633 today. Overall in great condition. The legs extend buttery smooth but the center post does not. Is this normal? Is there a way to lubricate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
do you have both center post locks loosened off? There is the knob on the side of the tripod and there is the twist lock below the center post

OP
C

Corhunter

FNG
do you have both center post locks loosened off? There is the knob on the side of the tripod and there is the twist lock below the center post

How loose should the twist lock be on the bottom?

Antares

WKR
My experience is that the center posts are kind of grabby any not as smooth as the legs.

OP
C

Corhunter

FNG
Thanks eveyrone for the replys it makes me feel like mine is likely normal. I wonder if a carbon center post would slide better than aluminum

sr80

WKR
Thanks eveyrone for the replys it makes me feel like mine is likely normal. I wonder if a carbon center post would slide better than aluminum
I didnt have the issue you are having, but i did want a longer center post ( i have a slik 632 and it has a pretty short center post) so i ordered a CF tube off aliexpress and made up a new center post and the CF does slide nicer than the aluminum post.

OP
C

Corhunter

FNG
I didnt have the issue you are having, but i did want a longer center post ( i have a slik 632 and it has a pretty short center post) so i ordered a CF tube off aliexpress and made up a new center post and the CF does slide nicer than the aluminum post.

Can you link the AliExpress tube you bought?

sr80

WKR

So i got the 18x14x500mm / glossy tube. I went with the 2mm thick wall tube because i had made one before with a 1mm wall tube and it cracked when i tightened down the center post knob. It didn't crack in half or anything but it did make a small crack, probably due to being cheaply manufactured carbon fiber.

Then i had to find something to put inside the tube to accept a 3/8-16 stud to attach my tripod head to, so i used a rivet nut. I had some at work, so i was able to use just the one. Kind of looks like they're sold in large packs online, but maybe a hardware store could sell you just one, but either way they are cheap. The rivet nut fit inside the tube perfectly, i didn't use the actual tool to expand the nut, I just used JB weld to glue the rivet nut inside the tube. Before i glued the nut inside the tube i threaded a 3/8-16 stainless bolt up through the bottom of the rivet nut (with loctite) so it protruded out the top of the post (sorry i didn't take any pictures while making this) I let it cure or 24 hrs. Then cut out a piece of aluminum and filed it to match the same diameter of my tripod head. Drilled and taped the aluminum and thread it onto the stud and loctited it. Put a cap on the bottom and it was finished.

Attachments

• IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-03-20 073957.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 073957.png