Slippery Kenetreks

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes that I’ve just gotten broken in. I got them because it seems that they’re the gold standard for a mountain boot. They’re really comfortable for heavy pack hikes (if a bit heavier than I’d prefer), but today I was hiking in the rain and I noticed they were extremely slippery on anything hard (rocks, boards, metal). I almost slipped off a wooden bridge over a creek that was slanted just a bit. It seems to me that that it would be kind of dangerous hiking in rocky terrain in the mountains in the rain with them being that slippery. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this common with sturdy mountain boots like this? Any recommendations on other boots to try?

Elkangle

WKR
It's a hard rubber...if it was softer it would wear out faster

The softer rubber grips better...crispis have a softer rubber and grip better on slipper surfaces but wear out much faster

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider

The softer rubber grips better...crispis have a softer rubber and grip better on slipper surfaces but wear out much faster
Yes that was my thought. The rubber is much too hard. Obviously I want my boots to last as long as possible, but I’m ok giving up a little longevity for boots that work how I’d like.

Elkangle

WKR
Ehh I think it's just a specific use case, like I work alot on steel decks....kentreks are terrible on steel... but that doesn't make them a bad boot.. when the rock has grit kentreks are a great boot...if the rock is crazy smooth and wet like down in creak bottoms...be careful

Everything is a compromise, just gotta find what works for you

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider

Plus Kenetreks are stiff - add that to hard rubber and there is very little flex.

Weldor

WKR
Ehh I think it's just a specific use case, like I work alot on steel decks....kentreks are terrible on steel... but that doesn't make them a bad boot.. when the rock has grit kentreks are a great boot...if the rock is crazy smooth and wet like down in creak bottoms...be careful

Everything is a compromise, just gotta find what works for you
Learned that lesson last December, landed on my butt descending smooth dry rock. Saved the rifle ,dinged the scope. Pride got bashed up pretty good, no warranty on that.

JK47

FNG
I have a pair of Mountain Extremes and a few pair of the Mountain Guide boots. I prefer the sole on the Guide boots (K73 or something like that?). Has a more defined heel, which I like and need climbing poles in my hooks (lineman by trade). The Guide soles pick up rocks like crazy. But I haven’t had traction issues and they last a long time. One pair of my Guide boots is going 2 years now almost daily wear for work.

have the same issues with my mountain extremes. Add in cold weather and they become dangerous on slick rocks or logs.

Add Crampons for added traction

I slipped on a hunt in kenetreks, I figured it was because they were half worn out.

I jammed my trigger finger so hard it hurt for a couple years, to the point I was considering asking a doctor to just remove it.

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes that I’ve just gotten broken in. I got them because it seems that they’re the gold standard for a mountain boot. They’re really comfortable for heavy pack hikes (if a bit heavier than I’d prefer), but today I was hiking in the rain and I noticed they were extremely slippery on anything hard (rocks, boards, metal). I almost slipped off a wooden bridge over a creek that was slanted just a bit. It seems to me that that it would be kind of dangerous hiking in rocky terrain in the mountains in the rain with them being that slippery. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this common with sturdy mountain boots like this? Any recommendations on other boots to try?
This will be my 9th season with my mountain extremes. In truck/tractor pulling we use a conditioner on the tires to add traction on tracks that call for it. Every year when I wax my boots I put a conditioner on the soles. Seems to have done the trick and I do not have issues. Wd40 works the week of, but evaporates quickly and you don’t want that getting between the leather and lower band.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
I've noticed they are slippery on steep hills with wet snow too.

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my 9th season with my mountain extremes. In truck/tractor pulling we use a conditioner on the tires to add traction on tracks that call for it. Every year when I wax my boots I put a conditioner on the soles. Seems to have done the trick and I do not have issues. Wd40 works the week of, but evaporates quickly and you don’t want that getting between the leather and lower band.
What is the conditioner you use on your tires/soles?

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
The stuff I have is called track claw. There are several different brands/options. I put a very little bit on a rag and dab it on.
I talked to a buddy who races and has some stuff called “pimp juice” that he uses on no prep tracks. Is that kind of the same thing?