Smaller Peep or shorter draw length?

snik

FNG
I recently acquired a Matthews Vertix. After having my draw length measured and set up at the local bow shop, I’ve been experiencing difficulty achieving the perfect alignment between my peep and sight while shooting. To attain the ideal alignment, I find myself having to stretch back uncomfortably, which is not sustainable. At my comfortable position, there’s noticeable space around my sight when viewing through the peep. My dilemma is whether I should opt for a smaller peep or shorten my draw length. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cadamscrna

Lil-Rokslider
DON’T adjust your draw length if it feels comfortable at full draw!! What sight are you using and what size peep are you currently using?

Cadamscrna

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your peep is at the correct height as well. Close your eyes, draw your bow and come to anchor, open your eyes and see if it’s in alignment with your eye.

OP
S

snik

FNG
DON’T adjust your draw length if it feels comfortable at full draw!! What sight are you using and what size peep are you currently using?
Sight is a HHA Tetra RYZ X3. Peep I believe is a 1/4'

Cadamscrna

Lil-Rokslider
Play with the distance your sight is away from your riser as well as reducing your peep aperture. 1/4” is great for hunting and in low light situations but generally it’s more than you need for everyday shooting. Hamskea and Specially make nice peep systems where you can simply change apertures. If you don’t want to invest in one of those, I’d recommend starting with a 3/16” peep, seeing what your sight picture looks like and adjust your sight until the peep just outlines the edge of your scope. Hope this helps. The overall idea is to keep your head/neck mostly neutral and adjust your sight picture until it aligns with your head position. Consistency and repeatability is the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your peep isn’t set right. I have to change my sight housing to shoot 1/4” peep vs 3/16”.

Feel free to share pics of your anchor point/bow at full draw. That will help determine if your draw length is close or not.

OP
S

snik

FNG
Play with the distance your sight is away from your riser as well as reducing your peep aperture. 1/4” is great for hunting and in low light situations but generally it’s more than you need for everyday shooting. Hamskea and Specially make nice peep systems where you can simply change apertures. If you don’t want to invest in one of those, I’d recommend starting with a 3/16” peep, seeing what your sight picture looks like and adjust your sight until the peep just outlines the edge of your scope. Hope this helps. The overall idea is to keep your head/neck mostly neutral and adjust your sight picture until it aligns with your head position. Consistency and repeatability is the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
appreciate the feedback. I'll try a few things out and let you know.

MattB

WKR
Your eye will naturally center the sight housing in the peep so you are fine. We used to have to center the sight pin in the peep and that worked just fine. A smaller peep may work better, but it may be sub-optimal for hunting situations.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
It is VERY important to have your draw length correct. It makes a night and day difference in how steady you can hold and not influencing the arrow during the shot process. You wouldn't ever want to change your draw length just to get good peep to sight housing alignment.

If I understand right, from your comment of "stretching back uncomfortably", you are trying to get your head further back from the string so that your peep and sight housing match better? That has to be very uncomfortable and absolutely ruin your chances of having a consistent anchor point. Many people like to draw back and have the string just touch the tip of their nose (may not be possible with a longer draw length and a short axle to axle bow) It is a very common anchor point reference.
I could go into proper form but there are good youtube videos that can show it much better than words. The best thing to remember is make the bow fit you, don't make your body fit the bow.

You have three options to get a better peep to sight housing match. Adjust how far the sight is from the bow's riser, like with a dovetail mount, change the diameter of the peep, or change the diameter of the sight housing (expensive option, would require buying a whole different sight in most cases).

I suspect you read that the sight housing and peep diameter "should" be a match, but that's not the only way. Like MattB says, allow your eye to naturally center the pin and see if that's consistent for you. Before sight housings were round we all just centered the pin within our peep. Worked just fine. Our eyes are very good at centering things.

A 1/4" peep is pretty big, I personally prefer a 3/16" size for a hunting peep.

OP
S

snik

FNG
It is VERY important to have your draw length correct. It makes a night and day difference in how steady you can hold and not influencing the arrow during the shot process. You wouldn't ever want to change your draw length just to get good peep to sight housing alignment.

If I understand right, from your comment of "stretching back uncomfortably", you are trying to get your head further back from the string so that your peep and sight housing match better? That has to be very uncomfortable and absolutely ruin your chances of having a consistent anchor point. Many people like to draw back and have the string just touch the tip of their nose (may not be possible with a longer draw length and a short axle to axle bow) It is a very common anchor point reference.
I could go into proper form but there are good youtube videos that can show it much better than words. The best thing to remember is make the bow fit you, don't make your body fit the bow.

You have three options to get a better peep to sight housing match. Adjust how far the sight is from the bow's riser, like with a dovetail mount, change the diameter of the peep, or change the diameter of the sight housing (expensive option, would require buying a whole different sight in most cases).

I suspect you read that the sight housing and peep diameter "should" be a match, but that's not the only way. Like MattB says, allow your eye to naturally center the pin and see if that's consistent for you. Before sight housings were round we all just centered the pin within our peep. Worked just fine. Our eyes are very good at centering things.

A 1/4" peep is pretty big, I personally prefer a 3/16" size for a hunting peep.
I appreciate the info. I'm headed to the bow shop Wednesday to get a 3/16" put in.