Snake boots or gators? Maybe both?

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for opinions and experiences with snake boots and gators, which one to go with or maybe both as well as brands of manufacturing.
Recently gotten into public land hunting in tennessee and during a few scouting trips in cherokee national forest have had the opportunity to run into the local diamond backs one of which was quite large and was looking for a bit of guidance on the subject I've also drawn two tags for catoosa in October and November and I've been told they're known to be as thick as fleas in that area and with tennessee weather being what it is I'm not wanting to hinge the experience on the bet that they'll be denned.

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
Snake boots for sure. I use both. This year in New Mexico I’m using gaiters due to the heat. Wore snake boots last year out there and they got pretty warm.

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
Turtle skins lightweight and real effective.

Attachments

• 1A9DB81F-F4F8-4DDC-967F-AA5DA5891A3B.jpeg
    1A9DB81F-F4F8-4DDC-967F-AA5DA5891A3B.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 12

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I couldn’t imagine hunting in an area where I’d have to be that concerned about snakes, but maybe I’m lucky. Do you run across that many snakes or is it more less out of caution?

NoWiser

WKR
I'd go the gaiter route if you have good leather boots. I don't think there are diamondbacks in Tennessee.

NoWiser

WKR
Well a Timber Rattler isnt any better. If it rattles , it dies.

I never said a timber rattler was better or worse.

I have an understanding with rattlers. I don't kill them and they don't bite me. So far it has worked out well for all parties involved.

OP
Artanis95

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I couldn’t imagine hunting in an area where I’d have to be that concerned about snakes, but maybe I’m lucky. Do you run across that many snakes or is it more less out of caution?
I'd go the gaiter route if you have good leather boots. I don't think there are diamondbacks in Tennessee.
Nowiser I believe for the most part you're correct but they are listed in Georgia and the Carolinas and I was within an hour of those neighbouring states so I'm guessing maybe he went on a walkabout and didn't notice the welcome to Tennessee sign more on this particular dude in a second.
Muleyczy I've been in some pretty snakey places but for Tennessee my experience with the local population has been mixed, usually in the places I like to fish and hunt close to home it's rare to see a rattlesnake copperheads and cotton mouths seem more prevalent and they are usually booking in a direction that you aren't before you really get up on them, there was a man bitten by a timber rattler not far from my home here although he wasn't exactly operating with what I would consider common sense at the time if I remember correctly. Here in the past two trips I've encountered 3 other rattlers two being timbers I do believe, both of those where cool as cucumbers never moved never sounded of and didn't try to run and that bothers me they were in areas frequented by people and obviously habituated I don't think they'd bother you until you stepped on them but they can be hard to spot when they're frozen like that. Now the other dude ( the one I'm thinking was a diamond back much lighter color much thinner very distinct pattern) was laid out on a "improved" road skirting a wilderness area same initial reaction... It never moved I pointed it out to my wife who was riding with me and she had a hard time spotting it even after I pointed it out he still never moved so I'm not wanting to bother it and start backing up so I can get around him and when the vehicle moved it jumped up coiled struck and began chasing the vehicle striking repeatedly no rattle no warning.
So going through all this I have been spending more and more of my time in these areas alone or with my dogs at best and I'm not afraid to get in somewhere several miles on foot and stay so I'm thinking maybe my exposure may also be higher than most folks generally would be.

OP
Artanis95

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
[/QUOTE]
I wear snake boots.
Snake boots!

Any particular brand You guys prefer? They have so many mixed reviews online most concerning quality control, I think I'm leaning towards the Irish setters I believe they where I need a new pair of boots anyway so I'm honestly considering both boots as well as the gators but I want something that is going to hold up and be reliable.

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
The turtle skins are waterproof as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
I went with Russell lightweight turkey hunters. But they are proud of them. Put a good insole in them and it’s like wearing moccasins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Copperheads and water moccasins have shown as much aggression for me as rattlesnakes. I’ve had copperheads hiss at me after striking and sometimes before striking. I’ve had water moccasins swim towards me while wading across a slough. Only to make themselves sink when they get within about 10 yards from me. I’ve also had them hiss at me and show their cottonmouth as I walk by them.

N2TRKYS

WKR

Any particular brand You guys prefer? They have so many mixed reviews online most concerning quality control, I think I'm leaning towards the Irish setters I believe they where I need a new pair of boots anyway so I'm honestly considering both boots as well as the gators but I want something that is going to hold up and be reliable.
[/QUOTE]

I wear the Irish Setter vaprtreks for my upland terrain stuff and Lacrosse rubber snake boots for my swampy, wet areas.

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
I have Irish setters as well and they wear like a tennis shoe, but the in the ankles the boot pinched a good bit. so I went with the Russells

I have Chippewa’s and Danner sharptails.
Danner is most comfortable but you can’t get Danner with out waterproof membrane, so they can get hot. I’m in snake boots almost 200 days a year if not more.

If I’m going to have to hike a bunch, I used foreverlast Snake Guard Shields(can order from academy) and my Hanwags

as far as ticks/fleas etc. spray down with permethrin

FLAK

WKR
I have a pair of Danners. Never again.
Thought I was buying comfort. Cant get the
right one zipped up over my calf. Left one
just barely. And like wearing PVC pipes.
I'll go with Turtle skinz gaiters next time.

Nowiser I believe for the most part you're correct but they are listed in Georgia and the Carolinas and I was within an hour of those neighbouring states so I'm guessing maybe he went on a walkabout and didn't notice the welcome to Tennessee sign more on this particular dude in a second.
Muleyczy I've been in some pretty snakey places but for Tennessee my experience with the local population has been mixed, usually in the places I like to fish and hunt close to home it's rare to see a rattlesnake copperheads and cotton mouths seem more prevalent and they are usually booking in a direction that you aren't before you really get up on them, there was a man bitten by a timber rattler not far from my home here although he wasn't exactly operating with what I would consider common sense at the time if I remember correctly. Here in the past two trips I've encountered 3 other rattlers two being timbers I do believe, both of those where cool as cucumbers never moved never sounded of and didn't try to run and that bothers me they were in areas frequented by people and obviously habituated I don't think they'd bother you until you stepped on them but they can be hard to spot when they're frozen like that. Now the other dude ( the one I'm thinking was a diamond back much lighter color much thinner very distinct pattern) was laid out on a "improved" road skirting a wilderness area same initial reaction... It never moved I pointed it out to my wife who was riding with me and she had a hard time spotting it even after I pointed it out he still never moved so I'm not wanting to bother it and start backing up so I can get around him and when the vehicle moved it jumped up coiled struck and began chasing the vehicle striking repeatedly no rattle no warning.
So going through all this I have been spending more and more of my time in these areas alone or with my dogs at best and I'm not afraid to get in somewhere several miles on foot and stay so I'm thinking maybe my exposure may also be higher than most folks generally would be.
Diamondbacks are listed in Georgia and the Carolinas, but you will find them predominately below the fall line parts of those states.