What to upgrade first: boots or backpack?

dwils27

FNG
I'm hoping to do a backpack archery elk hunt in 2024 and I'm looking to upgrade either my boots or my backpack. Probably won't have the budget to do both. Right now I have a 70L Gregory backpacking pack and a pair of Keen hiking boots that tend to give me hotspots after 15-20 miles. I would be looking to get into either an Exo pack or a pair of nice boots (kennetrek, schnee's, crispi, etc.).

If I can only upgrade one before the hunt, which should I go with? I'm leaning towards boots, as the backpack won't make much of a difference unless I actually kill an elk. But if I were to get an elk, packing it out in a standard backpacking pack could be much more inconvenient than dealing with the hotspots. Any advice is appreciated!

wyogoat

WKR
Boots! Those boots will be a liability in a back country hunt.
Your pack will work fine; what model Gregory?
One thing that works fine is find a decent (big) dry bag and leave it in your pack and you can put your meat in that to keep your pack clean and pack out in the main compartment. I think the dry bag I use was under 20 bucks and holds a bone-in rear.
I don’t like blood on my pack so everyone can make fun now….

Pgohil

WKR
BOOTS!!!
The comfort of your feet come way before the comfort of your pack. Especially since you already have a backpacking pack. Your entire hunt you'll spend on your feet. You may not use the full capabilities of your backpack until you have an animal down. That can be mitigated by more trips and lighter loads.
Again boots should be the number one upgrade. And make sure you spend plenty of time in them to make sure your feet are well broke into them. Good mountain boots feel different than anything else I've ever had on my feet. They actually feel horrible until I step off of hard services and get into rougher terrain where they shine.

PGohil
WV

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Boots... no question. Getting hot spots (and ultimately, blisters) will ruin your hunt. Having to deal with suck with a sub par pack IF you end up killing is doable. Boots this year, pack next year.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Boots first. If your feet are jacked up, it won’t matter how great your pack is.

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
Boots 100%
I’ve got a K2 5500 I’d part with if you decide to get a pack too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dwils27

dwils27

FNG
Boots! Those boots will be a liability in a back country hunt.
Your pack will work fine; what model Gregory?
One thing that works fine is find a decent (big) dry bag and leave it in your pack and you can put your meat in that to keep your pack clean and pack out in the main compartment. I think the dry bag I use was under 20 bucks and holds a bone-in rear.
I don’t like blood on my pack so everyone can make fun now….
I will look into the dry bag! It's a Gregory Baltoro.

wyogoat

WKR
Those are great packs and that suspension can certainly handle whatever load you can strap to it. They’re usually a neutral color in that model too right?

wyogoat

WKR
Do you need another dude to vote boots? We here ya are.

When you find a pair of good boots you like, buy a second set and stash it away, because your first set will be discontinued by the time you wear them out.
I agree. I have my current boots I wear and a pair of the same ones broken in and waiting on deck. Boots can ruin a hunt quick and I error on the side of going stiffer than you may think.

OP
dwils27

dwils27

FNG
Those are great packs and that suspension can certainly handle whatever load you can strap to it. They’re usually a neutral color in that model too right?
Oh that's good to hear! Mine is brown, so it's perfect.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Boots for sure. I hunted with a backpacking backpack and just carried a contractor trash bag, lighter and cheaper than a dry bag. If you bone the meat it will fit in your pack no problem

I got an email today from meateater website saying they have crispi boots 20% off. If Crispis fit your feet that saves you a sizable chunk

ndsportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for boots, without question! Lots of quality hunting boots on the market. Very subjective so be sure to try several brands if possible. I love Meindl. other hunting buddies have Crispi and Kenetrek. Everyone has a different foot structure, what works well for one person might fit horribly for the next...

ljones500

FNG
Kenetrek boots. send them to kenetrek once a year and they will resole and recondition them to like new. but... there is also still a 40% off black friday sale going on for some of the multi day kifaru packs.

I’ll be the odd guy out and say backpack. The backpack will carry weight so well that the blisters will be worth it!…

Definitely go with the boots! Your whole hunt will be better because of it. You can always call a packer, get creative with the pack out or find a way to borrow a pack that will work if yours won’t.

I have a pair of Crispi’s that I’ve worn for 4-5 years and they’re still going strong with lots of miles on them.

Idaboy

WKR
Boots...unless your backpack is useless....but. Boots all day long