Snow collar or no snow collar

Snow collar or no snow collar?

• Cut it off, too heavy

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Love it, very useful

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters
Just like buying a bigger volume bag and cinching it down, I don't think the extra few ounces the snow collar adds are worth worrying about compared to the flexibility it gives you if you need to stuff something a little larger than usual into your pack. For example, I had to tote out my son's 25" wide sleeping pad for him in my 20" tall pack, the extra height from the snow collar allowed me to keep it all under cover. It has also come in handy when I didn't have to time to get everything neatly rolled up and compressed before leaving camp, so I just stuffed it all into the main bag and used the snow collar to handle the "overflow".

If you don't need it, don't use it, but it is nice to have the option when you do need it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
The Snow Collar is great for cinching down tucking it in and keeping your gear above the middle of your back. Id say Snow Collar. Larry nailed the way I feel to not enough weight to worry about.

I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons of keeping it or not like every piece of gear you pack. I can not see any reason to trim mine off, so it stays. The extra room is worth the couple oz. it weighs.

i cut mine off. i used it on a load and was hesitant to cut it but the hassle of that big floppy top of the bag is what pushed me over.
its also the difference between a standard lid and a hacked LH lid....

The Snow Collar is great for cinching down tucking it in and keeping your gear above the middle of your back. Id say Snow Collar. Larry nailed the way I feel to not enough weight to worry about.

SHTF,

I never thought of that, it's brilliant! So basically, you cinch it shut like you would if you were not using it, then push the snow collar material down into your empty main pack bag and use it like a 1000 ci day pack tucked inside the top of your main pack bag. Is that right?

Larry

OP
Where's Bruce?

That's one friggin' solid argument for keeping it. I tend to lean towards carrying more anyway, which I recognize is counterintuitive to most packers. My reasoning is this, the weight of the pack plus my weight determines the load. I knocked 44lbs off my fat arse this year with another 25 to go so if my pack weighs ten extra pounds, at least it's useful and not middleaged blubber. Sure, I may not be able to trek as far or as long as some guys but so far I have never had to turn back. I am just careful and slow (like any bowhunter) and try to avoid injury as best I can. Leaning towards leaving the collar on now. If it weighs too much I guess I'll just hafta leave the Fig Newtons outta the pack. LOL

I cut mine. Not necessarily for weight but because it just got in the way. If I need to the room I can use a sack a strap it under the lid anyway.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I like SHTF's idea. I have never heard that before, but I will try it. I kept the snow collar on my T1. It does add some weight and is often in my way when accessing gear, but the extra volume and weather protection is worth it to me.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't cut mine off...just order the bag that doesn't come with one to begin with :D

sk1

WKR
cut it not for weight, but because the amount of time it is in the way=all the time vs the amount of time i would actually need it=almost never

you can always stack things on top of the pack and cinch them under the lid when you need the space, essentially the same as a snow collar just not fully enclosed.

2rocky

WKR
While the pack pictured is not one of the "cool kids" on Rokslide, it reminds me that Someday I may need that extra capacity to pack out camp and Meat all at one time. I keep the snow collar.
262078_1968843699742_4057656_n.jpg

littlebuf

Banned
The snow collar is the integral part of how I use my T1 for a day pack. I love the configuration

The snow collar is the integral part of how I use my T1 for a day pack. I love the configuration

What lid do you have? I could see using it like you do without a LH lid but with one it's pretty redundant for daypack duty for myself. I hacked off my snow collar and trimmed some straps and couldn't be happier. Still keeping my sleeping bag divider though...

Mike

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cut off mine....same as said before, a dry sack stuffed with gear and strapped under the lid serves the same purpose and the snow collar was a pain in the ass when not using.

littlebuf

Banned
What lid do you have? I could see using it like you do without a LH lid but with one it's pretty redundant for daypack duty for myself. I hacked off my snow collar and trimmed some straps and couldn't be happier. Still keeping my sleeping bag divider though...

Mike

Standard lid. I can't fill the T1 up as it is more pockets would be pointless for me

Craig4791

WKR
My vote is to leave it on. I like to be able to pack that bag full and go, especially on the first load when you have your gear as well. Not worth the weight savings to me.

OP
Where's Bruce?
One of the concerns here in CA is mountain lions. State's loaded with em so having the back of my neck protected provides some extra mental comfort for me. I'd sure like to see a photo of your pack with the bottom all cinched down and the load up top. How's that feel compared to a more traditional load distribution SHTF?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have been up shit creek without a paddle had this pack had the snow collar cut out lol. I'm a fan of them after this.
8amu4eqa.jpg