Snowpack not looking very good :(

Central Sierra here.
We were At 58% of average a few days ago. Currently a good storm should put about 60” of decent colder snow in the next week.

It’s been unseasonably warm prior to this storm with daytime temps at elevation 10k well above freezing and nighttime temps at only 30-31.

“The Thursday night Friday storm has delivered deep fresh snow to the ski areas. A few days of quiet before a potentially hyperactive El Nino pattern takes hold.”

Will El Nino finally kick in??? Let’s hope :)

Definitely need the snow, but as a winter-time travel volleyball dad I have a love/hate relationship with it.

We're (central Montana) are getting a little relief- in town we had 0.3" of rain yesterday that turned to snow last night. Woke up to ~ 4" of pretty wet stuff. Hiking at ~ 5000' this afternoon, closer to 6" of snow. Guessing higher yet probably approaching or exceeding 10".

It's a start!

Heading to central/eastern MT this coming weekend, be interesting to see the snow pack along my drive from Post Falls to there. Hopefully the weather gives at least a light dusting of snow, makes coyotes stand out more lol

We're (central Montana) are getting a little relief- in town we had 0.3" of rain yesterday that turned to snow last night. Woke up to ~ 4" of pretty wet stuff. Hiking at ~ 5000' this afternoon, closer to 6" of snow. Guessing higher yet probably approaching or exceeding 10".

It's a start!
I was hoping....I think the all day rain on Saturday put some new snow up high, but we didn't get more than half of an inch in the flathead valley. Another pretty warm week ahead and not much precip in the forecast last I looked.

Never know. Sometimes it seems like a dry winter and you think it will be dry summer and then boom
Get pounded with snow or rain and it crazy wet

We had a remarkable day last Saturday here in Pueblo with 1.06 inches of moisture in mostly rain all day then about 3-4 inches of heavy wet snow during midday then rain again in the evening. Set a moisture record for the day here. 25 miles to the west of me in Wetmore they got 18 inches of snow. But.... it'll also feed the tumbleweed growth this spring. Hope fully these atmospheric rivers will bring you all some moisture.

Short attention spans and short memories. It can all change in a big hurry.

This morning the weather station reported this simultaneously:
Currently Snowing. 100% chance
Visibility: Perfectly clear 16 miles.

(Not to mention when it's clear, just from my house I can see over 40 miles.)

If we went back to the olden days when prophets were executed for one failed prediction
we wouldn't have this distraction.

I’d Like to hunt this area it’s got some wide open basins and there’s bear and deer.
This is about 175 inches so far this season a good year is 500+ inches.

Theres tons of caves in this rock and I often wonder how many bear are curled up steep on the mountainside asleep. Maybe I’ll try and do a tour to some of the biggest that are high up under the cliffs

Anyone ever found a hibernating bear in a winter cave ?

Back