SO mountain mat

OP
S
Everything. I have seen the product page but no reviews on it. Does it work as described, any faults, would you recommend it?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been using one for a while. I'll try to set honest expectations.

It's 1/8" thick. It won't be your only sleeping pad unless you're a mountain man used to sleeping on the ground.

Sticks will poke through it, you will likely put some tears in it with long term use. It will get creases from being rolled up. It probably won't always look pretty.

Good news is it's foam, so holes don't matter that much. Larger tears can be repaired with duct tape. Creases relax if you lay it out in the sun.

It makes a great ground sheet, doesn't slide around, adds some protection for your air pad.

R value will probably be around .45 (1/8x40x80), then .9 if folded in half (1/4x20x80), then 1.8 if folded to torso length (1/2x20x40), so if temps are lower than expected you can take something like a prolite at 2.2 R value down to 0° or so by folding the pad.

It also gives you a backup in case your air pad does pop. It sucks laying on cold hard ground on a deflated airpad. It sucks less laying on warm hard ground on a deflated airpad on top of a foam pad.

It's darn handy to fold up into a square and use as a 3-4" thick sit pad.

Very multi-use piece of gear.

OP
S

It's 1/8" thick. It won't be your only sleeping pad unless you're a mountain man used to sleeping on the ground.

Sticks will poke through it, you will likely put some tears in it with long term use. It will get creases from being rolled up. It probably won't always look pretty.

Good news is it's foam, so holes don't matter that much. Larger tears can be repaired with duct tape. Creases relax if you lay it out in the sun.

It makes a great ground sheet, doesn't slide around, adds some protection for your air pad.

R value will probably be around .45 (1/8x40x80), then .9 if folded in half (1/4x20x80), then 1.8 if folded to torso length (1/2x20x40), so if temps are lower than expected you can take something like a prolite at 2.2 R value down to 0° or so by folding the pad.

It also gives you a backup in case your air pad does pop. It sucks laying on cold hard ground on a deflated airpad. It sucks less laying on warm hard ground on a deflated airpad on top of a foam pad.

Thanks rockchucker, it sounds like the multi use pad I am looking for!!

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
RC-

Off topic, but could your ground tarp double as a glassing tarp?

I have a Cimmaron and wanted to be able to pack up the ground tarp and use as a glassing cover or a overnite tarp if I had to bivy for a night.

Thanks-
John

sndmn11

WKR

Like Nate described, I got mine just as pad protection and I figured it would double as a living mat in my tent, and then triple as a glassing pad. I have it laid out on the living room floor at home right now for when my 7month old and I are playing and then have a spontaneous nap.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
RC-

I have a Cimmaron and wanted to be able to pack up the ground tarp and use as a glassing cover or a overnite tarp if I had to bivy for a night.

Thanks-
John

Yeah, you could rig it in a pinch.

The Gunnison would be a better dedicated shelter though, 12 tieouts total, 4 with linelocs vs 6 on the ground tarp. And the Gunnison is over a foot longer.

The ground tarp is a better material for ground use (obviously), so in a pinch it'd be fine.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
RC-

Thanks-
John

Not to derail this thread because it’s about the mountain mat. But I like the multi use factor of the ground tarp. I’ve pitched it for shade and in the rain and it worked well. I feel it’s a great size to throw up in a pinch. I always find myself throwing it in my pack.
66d43156e97b446a841463543d7506a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk