SO Silvertip and MLD Bug Bivy 2

CiK01

WKR
Has anybody used a Mountain Laurel Designs Bug Bivy 2 in a Seek Outside Silvertip? I have a Silvertip and I can't seem to find a good balance for containment without compressing my sleep system down in a normal bivy (side zip BG).

I move around a lot when I sleep and end up feeling like I am suffocating in the bivy. The MLD Bug Bivy 2 looks like it would give me some space while giving me some condensation protection and containment too. It just needs to fit in the Silvertip.

I am open to other options too.

Thanks in advance.

Mudd Foot

WKR
As an option, John at Borah Gear will make size adjustments. I ordered a Bug Bivy Long/Wide and he confirmed adding an additional 6” in width at no additional charge. This is the amount I asked him to add btw for the same reasons you listed.

Hope this helps,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
As an option, John at Borah Gear will make size adjustments. I ordered a Bug Bivy Long/Wide and he confirmed adding an additional 6” in width at no additional charge. This is the amount I asked him to add btw for the same reasons you listed.

Hope this helps,

John is great.....no doubt. I went back and forth on the sizing with him and ended up with a long/wide. I use a 25" pad because of the tossing/turning. The stake out loops aren't helping much because when I use them, that is when I get the compression. But if I don't use them, I end up sleeping against the wall of the tent.

In my 8-man, there isn't any issue.....its just the Silvertip. I really want the Silvertip to work and not have to go up in size to a Cimerron or something similar.

I run a half nest I got from bearpaw wilderness for my silvertip...tell them what tent you have and they will make a nest to fit. They have a bunch of different options when it comes to material, zippers, ect.

Yes, that is a combination that I like. I don’t have many nights in varied conditions with it yet but have been satisfied so far.
I am 6’1” and use a BA long bag and long pad, with size 12 feet. On level ground there is room to lay out and not touch the side walls with the Silvertip pitched a few inches high. It is close when pitched tight to the ground. A nonlevel site may also cause a few issues. You can stake the BB2 at the corners and not travel too far and the bivy has enough room to fit a longer pad, likely a 25” wide pad as well. It’s pretty easy to rig a line and lift the BB2 any way you want. And the BB2 sides do block a draft somewhat if you pitch the ST high.
Also a pretty good combination weight wise relative to the sheltered space for a solo setup. If you are running a long pad you’ll probably want to stay close the center which could make it crowded for two.
Like I said, I’ve not spent too many nights in this combo since I decided to try it but am looking forward to many more.

If you have any pics, I would love to see them.

Sorry, I would love to be able to show some pics but I don’t have any. Always seem a little too focused on hunting and don’t get many gear pics unless it’s a trial run.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions if I have any relevant experience.

superA

WKR
I have the bug bivy 2. It's awesome. Room to move, bug protection. Get one, you won't regret it.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Just received my Borah Gear Bug Bivy from John. Ordered a Long/Wide and requested it be 82” wide at the shoulders and 70” at the feet. Also asked for an extra 12” babe added to the length of the zipper. The above was based on my use of the Ultralight bivy for 5 days, and wanted more room to move around.

For reference, am 200 lbs at 5’ 11”. IMG_1121.JPG

The pad is the 25x78 QLX.

Mudd Foot

WKR
IMG_1122.JPG

Might be tough to visualize size from this photo, but the extra volume means that I can lie on my side, and hold the bivy 12” off of my head with the zipper fully closed. IMG_1123.JPG

OP
CiK01

CiK01

WKR
Circling back to this. I have an Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 for the no stove trips. I was pitching it and thought the nest might fit inside the Silvertip. It did. It is nearly the same thing as the MLD BB2. No pictures of the setup, but here is a picture of the nest of the Lynx 1.

I just staked it out and then used a shock cord to attach it from the top of the nest to tipi pole. I didn't use the poles. It worked well.

Teejay

FNG
View attachment 144043

Might be tough to visualize size from this photo, but the extra volume means that I can lie on my side, and hold the bivy 12” off of my head with the zipper fully closed. View attachment 144044

Curious how you attach the bivy hang loop in the silver tip? Is there loops inside the tent on the corner seams? I keep going back and forth between a silver tip and an MLD Duomid ... the duomid has loops to attach a bivy or the inner tents... haven’t found too much on the interior of the silvertip. SO website photos don’t seem to show any but could be the photo quality. Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.