Solar Charging/Juice Storage Devices

I have been looking for a reliable way to keep my electronics charged on extended BP trips and am giving serious consideration to the Solarmoney Adventurer and coupling it with the RAVPower 10400mAh external battery pack. Has anyone used either of these units? Most of the auxiliary battery devices I've seen are not well rated for field use and though most are smaller, they do not have anywhere near the juice storage of the RAV unit. I cannot find a smaller or lighter solar panel than the Solarmoney. I think pairing them would enable me to recharge even if I get hit with a week of rain (assuming I have fully charged the RAV beforehand). Any educated opinions out there? I have some 1 and 2 weeks BP trips coming up and wanna be dialed in beforehand. Thanks!

http://www.newtrent.com/store/external-battery/powerpak-xtreme-nt120r-b.html

I looked into the whole solar charging setups and just decided they are more trouble then they are worth. I keep hearing about people leaving then charging for 8+ hours and getting like 25% charge. Plus the only down time I usually have is at night. The Unit I linked works awesome. can charge my phone like 6 full times and is water prof and rugged. only down side it is heavy, but I feel like the many functions of my iPhone still saves me weight.

JGO

FNG
I don't have experience with the RAV unit but have spent more than 20 days in the backcountry on two separate occasions, with the SolarMonkey Adventurer. Another member of the party totes a Nomad 13 or something like that. Three of us end up relying on the SolarMonkey to keep all three iPhones charged in spite of daily rain and clouds.

I like the idea of adding the RAV unit. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

OP
Where's Bruce?
This video says 250 grams so it's 8.8oz. Customer reviews seems good, multiple phone charges with this little unit.

[video=youtube;9ko0lOginXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ko0lOginXU[/video]

cleatus

FNG
I run the newtrent 12,000. You can get 6 full charges from a dead I phone. Downside it weights in at 11oz. Same as what you linked. Several guys I hunt with run the same. It has served all of us well.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Check out powerfilm. I don't charge to storage batteries, but these are the best solar films I have used and I imagine it would do well. I have tried most of the others with disappointing results. You won't find a store that sells them. Picked mine up on Amazon and I have seen them on eBay.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Check out powerfilm. I don't charge to storage batteries, but these are the best solar films I have used and I imagine it would do well. I have tried most of the others with disappointing results. You won't find a store that sells them. Picked mine up on Amazon and I have seen them on eBay.

Don't trust that unit. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Solar-Charger-Reviews/PowerFilm-USB-AA-Solar-Charger

Has anyone else had any firsthand experience with the models in the OP?

Are you guys really keeping your phones charged while your out there? I can understand an iPod for getting to sleep. But one of my favorite parts of going out is knowing my cell can't work. What are you using them for?

Renoit24

FNG
gedera5e.jpg
I just purchased the newtrent 14000mah. More reserve power and better waterproofing. Works great in the field.

Jdog

WKR
I have the Newtrent iGeek (I believe its called). Its pretty small and lightweight at 8.7 ounces and charges my iPhone 5 or 6 times while out in the bush.

Last year was the first time I took this setup on a 10 day extended hunt/backpack trip in AK.

It was nice to have some tunes playing next to the campfire at night and when we got stuck in the tent on a 2-3 day snow storm we watched a couple movies off the iPhone.

Definitely recommend Newtrent products!

Attachments

• bc1.jpg
    bc1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 87
  • bc2.jpg
    bc2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 98

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you guys really keeping your phones charged while your out there? I can understand an iPod for getting to sleep. But one of my favorite parts of going out is knowing my cell can't work. What are you using them for?

Pictures & "Cowboy Radio" on pre downloaded podcast. If I have enough service I'll send a text to check in each day too. My cell phone working or not doesn't play a roll in me enjoying my hunt.

Pictures & "Cowboy Radio" on pre downloaded podcast. If I have enough service I'll send a text to check in each day too. My cell phone working or not doesn't play a roll in me enjoying my hunt.

Gotcha. I wouldn't think it would but was curious what you guys were using them for.I'm not sure if it's good or bad that I have no one to check in with... ;)

GPS, I pair it with my Delorme inreach for off the grid communication, flash light, entertainment device, camera, E-book or Audio book, Alarm clock...

For multiuse items nothing beat a smart phone.

OP
Where's Bruce?

Video and posting pics to FB taken in the field.

I use it for digiscoping, photos, panoramics, and keeps me busy reading books I've downloaded on weather days. I have no cell service in AK on any of my hunts. it proved to be a life saver with 4 straight weather days last year. My iPhone 5 is under 4 ounces its lighter than any book or anything to take up my time on weather days.

2 guys and all your soaking wet gear in a Nallo 3 on a glacier gets pretty boring over 4 days, the phone was a welcome addition until it died.