Sound difference in suppressor caliber

Diving into the suppressor game and I haven’t been able to find much information on the difference in sound reduction between having a suppressor that is the same caliber as your rifle vs larger. I’ve heard lots of guys say to just buy a .30 cal suppressor and use it on everything that’s .30 cal and smaller. But, I’m currently only planning on using one on a .243 and possibly .22mag. So I guess my question is, on a .243 how much quieter would a suppressor that’s .243 cal be vs a .30 cal suppressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Diving into the suppressor game and I haven’t been able to find much information on the difference in sound reduction between having a suppressor that is the same caliber as your rifle vs larger. I’ve heard lots of guys say to just buy a .30 cal suppressor and use it on everything that’s .30 cal and smaller. But, I’m currently only planning on using one on a .243 and possibly .22mag. So I guess my question is, on a .243 how much quieter would a suppressor that’s .243 cal be vs a .30 cal suppressor?

It’s hard to measure and you could never hear the difference. 30cal for everything.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Tbac says 2-3 db max for thier ultra cans. I’ve got both 6.5 and 30 ultra 7s and I can’t notice a difference. Having slightly more clearance at the endcap I guess would reduce likelihood of a baffle strike if you suppressor loosen up (I’ve never had it happen)

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s hard to measure and you could never hear the difference. 30cal for everything.

30 cal and be done.

The suppressor does it’s work with the volume of space between the baffles for the gasses to expand. The minor size difference between the baffle holes for 6.5 cal and a .308 cal is minuscule.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Your ear won't tell the difference. But your wallet will when you later havw to buy another can for a bigger caliber.

Get the 30 cal. I have a 6.5 cal and regret it

Bluefish

WKR
3-5 db is probably about it. Half that can be regained by using a caliber sized end cap. I believe ab suppressor has data on a video from them testing the difference.

wesfromky

WKR
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I’ll just get a 30cal

My understanding is that volume is the key - matching the bore matters more on smaller cans and less on bigger ones. So, on a K can it will matter more then an L can.

Tahoe1305

WKR
That said, most say don’t mix rimfire and centerfire. Most rimfire cans gum up pretty quick (and can be taken apart and cleaned).

I’d have a dedicated 22 (22mag) and then a .30 cal centerfire.

Nothing preventing you from doing it though and bet it would be quiet.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My understanding is that volume is the key - matching the bore matters more on smaller cans and less on bigger ones. So, on a K can it will matter more then an L can.
Correct, it’s about volume. Shoot a .243 cal on a can meant for a .338 cal and you won’t worry about the much larger holes in the baffles.

rcook10

WKR
I put my 30cal thunderbeast ultra 7 on everything. Works great. I bought a dedicated 223 can this year and am looking to compare the two but I have been really happy with my ultra 7.

OP
khart_6882
I was actually reading the description of a can for sale on silencer central today (can’t remember which one it was), and they said they were actually getting 5-6DB less volume out of a 30 cal can on a smaller caliber rifle than with a can built for that specific caliber. Which makes me wonder why they’d build them caliber specific haha

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I was actually reading the description of a can for sale on silencer central today (can’t remember which one it was), and they said they were actually getting 5-6DB less volume out of a 30 cal can on a smaller caliber rifle than with a can built for that specific caliber. Which makes me wonder why they’d build them caliber specific haha

Likely at shooters ear, on a 5.56 AR15. More backpressure increases db’s unless you turn the gas down.

One of my first can purchases, was the resonator from Yankee Hill. It's a 30 caliber can. I've shot everything that you can squeeze through the baffles in it, including .243. When I built my first smokeless muzzie in .45, that's when I knew I needed another can. This time I stepped up to the Hybrid 46. It's big, heavy and eats anything that physically fits through it. I honestly feel it's quieter, to my ears on our .243 due to its size, volume, etc. Is that that worth the extra length, weight carrying it in the field on a trip? No, I grab the YHM. If were shooting off a bag, on a bench I'm grabbing the Hybrid. I'd get a .30 caliber can and never look back, that is until the can bug bites you.

Last edited:

Bluefish

WKR

Look at the silencer summit data and all the 223 cans on AR’s are loud. Semi autos have a lot of noise at the breech vs a bolt gun. In fact I think none of the arks tested are hearing safe. https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/#RESULTS

At the end of the day the same suppressor with smaller bore will be quieter than a larger bore. Shooter might not be able to tell though.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Look at the silencer summit data and all the 223 cans on AR’s are loud. Semi autos have a lot of noise at the breech vs a bolt gun. In fact I think none of the arks tested are hearing safe. https://thunderbeastarms.com/sound/summit2023/#RESULTS
The biggest issue with the smaller “K” cans/.223 cans is that they also have smaller internal volume.

I don’t notice a lot of noise at the breech with my AR.