Spain. General questions

Currently visiting Spain. A couple questions. In the countryside west of Toledo there are what look like gorgeous pastures with trees where you can see a long way under the canopy as there’s no brush, just beautiful knee high grasses. It doesn’t appear it’s mowed or baled. Some of it has relatively high fences. Reminds me a bit of Texas hill country. Are these private hunting properties? Do they occasionally graze it?
Also regarding hunting. From what I’ve found on Al Gore’s innerweb guided Ibex hunting is a heck of a deal compared to Alaska sheep hunting. Granted it’s a whole different ballgame. What’s the deal for resident hunters? Are tags expensive/very limited;? not just ibex but deer, red deer, etc ? Do many residents hunt? I’d ask these questions locally but my Spanish consists mostly of Muchos Cervezas por favor, donde esta el bano and Gracias (usually in that order) and most locals I’ve encountered know little more in English. BTW, nice country and very nice folks here.

mlob1one

WKR
Most of what you see is private land, and it's rarely hunted. In Europe, if you own the land, you own the wildlife on it. The vast majority of Spaniards do not hunt. Hunting there doesn't require a tag or just requires a checkbook. There are a handful of outfitters that can get you on Ibex, deer, wild sheep, partridge, etc.
You are totally right, compared to AK, a Spanish Ibex is a steal of a deal.

Try some Cinco Jotas Jamon Serrano while you're there. It's the best in the world.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Jamon Serrano: that brings up another question. I see pig hind quarters everywhere but no live hogs anywhere. Haven’t even smelled any. Where do they hide them?

One thing my wife and I both miss over here is steak. Going to make a big dent in the freezer when we get home.

WBT: do they hunt ibex year round ? We’re currently in Candeleda with a beautiful mountain range a few miles to the north. Looks like sheep and goat country. Is that ibex country and would that be government owned land? Outfitted hunting ?

mlob1one

WKR
Those hind legs are so yummy. Beats the hell out of prosciutto.
The hogs are all throughout Andalusia. They have vast grazing areas and are found primarily in acorn groves.

All of the hunting is through outfitters with leases or concessions or on private land as far as I know. The outfitters are regulated, but if you've got the money, you can shoot several species.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WBT

FNG
There are seasons for the various ibex species. I believe you’re pretty close to the area gredos ibex are found. And you can hunt them on both public and private land. I’ve always used a local outfitter, but there’s a difference between using one like a local would versus a tourist.

Suera

FNG
I hope you enjoy my country. Some answers to your questions.
In Spain maybe 80% is private land, these private land can be owned by some people or can be owned but the local government or neighbors communities.
In these privates lands almost 95% are private hunting areas.
For hunt if you are landowner is not a problem, if you are also member of a community that his local government has hunting area the tags usually are shared between the members or they only have to pay a small quota.
Here there are many hunters but most of them are small game hunters.
The Toledo area and the private lands you are watching are good for red deer, pigs and some roes. Also you have Gredos mountain near that is the home of Gredos Ibex.
Tags are expensive depend the animal is not the same the price of a roebuck that the price of a ibex.
Yes better drink some red wine than beer, of course try Jamón Serrano Pata negra if you can and some Calamares, tortilla de patata...
If you have more questions only ask , or pm me, is my country, I live here and I hunt here I can help you , if you need it.

Suera

FNG
Jamon Serrano: that brings up another question. I see pig hind quarters everywhere but no live hogs anywhere. Haven’t even smelled any. Where do they hide them?

One thing my wife and I both miss over here is steak. Going to make a big dent in the freezer when we get home.

WBT: do they hunt ibex year round ? We’re currently in Candeleda with a beautiful mountain range a few miles to the north. Looks like sheep and goat country. Is that ibex country and would that be government owned land? Outfitted hunting ?
The area you are now, is not he best for grow the pigs this is why you don't watch them, also in these season they are with the baby's in the farm, and for summer and autumn they will be eating in the fields acorns.
Near Candeleda like I said you is Gredos mountains, here there is Gredos ibex the most expensive in Spain, now the season is closed for Gredos ibex. In these Gredos área is a hunting reserve and the government each year sell the permits in public Auction but the prices are really crazy because there are very few tags and many hunters, most of them foreigners that want to hunt them, then outfitters buy the permits to resell them in crazy prices.

Suera

FNG
You have very good steaks in Avila and North Spain, only ask in a good restaurant for a "Chuletón Madurado" enjoy it

My two cents... Try Riñones al Jerez (diced kidney in sherry and onion sauce), besides Rioja, Spain has excellent Brandy. Since its too difficult to bring back a great Eibar shotgun buy yourself a fine spanish pocketknife (navaja). Oh yeah, the tour of the Alcazar de Toledo and the history of its siege is tremendously memorable.

tony

WKR
Message to you Suera.
My girlfriend is taking a girls trip to Barcelona next month.

OP
M
That tip about chuleton was solid gold. Hit a local butcher in Candeleda and scored big time. My wife couldn’t wait for coals and fried hers. I think it’s fair to say it’s not on the same level as we can get at home but by gawd it was damn good!

Attachments

• IMG_3034.jpeg
    IMG_3034.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 25
OP
M
Back home. Fantastic trip, beautiful countryside, great people.
Thanks for the tips guys.

A few memories:
Chuleton ( Muy bueno!!!)
Ibex
Town square Candeleda
Oour AirBnB by Candeleda
Ice cold cerveza in frosty mugs

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2946.jpg