Spanish Ibex

Anyone ever do a Spanish Ibex. Seems very doable, except what do I do with my rifle when I visit Madrid, Barcelona, & other tourist stuff?
I'm leaning towards the outfitters rifle.

cbeard64

WKR
I was thinking seriously about it also so I sat with a couple of reputable outfitters at the DSC show in Dallas. I have no doubt it would be a great trip.

Costs go by size of the animal. I simply wanted to get the hunting experience so I priced one hunt for the most economical (smallest) Gredos ibex. While the trophy fee for the ibex was $8-9K, with all the extras (VAT tax @21%, tour guides, trophy prep fees, etc..) my hunt was 13K with one outfit and 15K with another. That’s the “catch”. That’s basically the cheapest hunt in Spain available and does not include airfare. The hunt was for 3 days. Two species is 6 days. There are 4 types of ibex and many more species to hunt. If you want gold medal animals and several of them the costs go way up.

We still may do it but are now thinking about simply vacationing in Spain. A 7 day vacation including airfare and 4 star hotels is about half the cost of just the hunt above.

The outfitters have good rifles to rent which saves all the hassle of air travel with a rifle. I take my rifle on all my North American hunts but I don’t think I will on Europe/Africa hunts.

Anyway, no actual experience but that’s what I learned.

OP
Short Track
I was probably sitting next to you, as I spoke with 5 Spanish outfitters. I choose the one with a fixed price, regardless of gold, silver, representative, etc. I have no idea how or why 1 outfitter tells me they need A tags, or B tags depending on trophy size, but the next outfitter has a fixed priced. I went fixed price, and I'm not worried about some SCI score I don't understand & getting back charged afterwards.

He says he has a Leopold scope, which I will most probably rent. I just can't worry about chaining my rifle down to the rental car, or hotel bed. or doing something illegal out of ignorance. But I run the risk of blowing the shot as I won't be familiar with the rifle or scope.