Specific Haul Road Questions

shmcleod

FNG
Headed up to the Haul Road for about 10 days, so around 8 days of hunting. Some questions for you:

1- What do you do with meat if one person tags out on day one and hunting partners still have 7 days left? Is a cooler and hanging it up at night enough? Any place to freeze it while up there?

2 - We are flying in and out of Fairbanks on Delta and Alaska Airlines respectively. Does anyone recommend a place to speed freeze meat in Fairbanks before the flight home? How long does this take? Is one day enough?

3 - Advice for antlers – how do we get them home? Alaska Airlines can ship small one. Or should we ship separately? Recommended shippers?

Headed up to the Haul Road for about 10 days, so around 8 days of hunting. Some questions for you:

1- What do you do with meat if one person tags out on day one and hunting partners still have 7 days left? Is a cooler and hanging it up at night enough? Any place to freeze it while up there?

2 - We are flying in and out of Fairbanks on Delta and Alaska Airlines respectively. Does anyone recommend a place to speed freeze meat in Fairbanks before the flight home? How long does this take? Is one day enough?

3 - Advice for antlers – how do we get them home? Alaska Airlines can ship small one. Or should we ship separately? Recommended shippers?
Specifically what dates are you trying to hunt? (sounds like you are headed there now?)

Sounds like you are a Non-Resident? The season is CLOSED for Non-Residents (Aug 1-Sept 15) Even if you are accompanied by a resident family member.....

If you are a Resident then you would probably know that its freezing cold outside right now and meat care isn't a problem? And that most of the bulls have already shed their antlers?

If you are planning a Fall hunt then cooler the meat, and check antlers as baggage

Last edited:

Versydus

WKR
Sounds like fun! Heading up there as well this fall. I've been going thru the same questions.

1- archery elk hunting here in Idaho it can be pretty hot during the day. I've taken elk quarters and aired them out that first day post harvest under shade and thru the night then placed them in coolers with dry ice in bottom then layered up with cardboard on top of dry ice. Laid meat inside with sticks stacked between the bags. Worked for a couple of days but you'd need to find more dry ice. Buy one this summer and try it with a thermometer to monitor temp thru a hot day.

2- buddy shot a cow elk in late Aug on a dep hunt here. Super hot, split the cow into 4 chucks and placed it in an empty freezer to rapidly cool. Pretty well froze after he forgot to check on it 18 hr later.

3- I set myself up as a known shipper with Alaska air. Took 2 days to get approval thru my LLC, lady said it could take quite a bit longer as an individual. Shipping our meat back as frozen cargo, skulls and gear separately. Meat was quoted at .73$/# and the gear/horns was a bit more at .87$/#. We plan to score/buy one pallet and make a frame for securing the antlers inside then shipping home that way.

Pretty close to our current plan. Hit me up on a pm if you want more details

Wildwilderness- any details as to where you got the info to reference those units being closed from Aug 1st to Sept 15th? 23-24 game regs sure read like the whole Dalton Hwy management area is open to both residents and non-residents, maybe I'm missing something???

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
c086704c0b461f22d7cbb92b7652fce0.jpg
139b9e15b287952516233805f4d6dd5b.jpg
33439eba05fbab9985258673b841c779.jpg

Last edited:
OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

FNG
We are headed up Aug. 26th to Sept 4th, so in the fall. I think the dates in parentheses mentioned by WildWilderness are the dates that are legal for non-residents, meaning the units close to nonresidents after Sept. 15th (that is what my research has shown).

Versydus - I'll shoot you a PM.

Anybody else have recommendations for me on these three questions?

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

FNG
Another question I figure I might as well add. I have a super light pyramid tent, but it has no stove, and no bug liner. Meaning it's just the rain fly. The sun obviously Goes Down super late, but I wasn't sure about the bugs at night? Is it crazy to bring a tent like that, or will it work just fine?

Another question I figure I might as well add. I have a super light pyramid tent, but it has no stove, and no bug liner. Meaning it's just the rain fly. The sun obviously Goes Down super late, but I wasn't sure about the bugs at night? Is it crazy to bring a tent like that, or will it work just fine?
I would not worry too much about bugs that time of year. Usually they are much worse at the opener. I have had it snow 5" on Labor Day while hunting the haul road. Not cold enough to need a stove either if you have warm gear available. That said I have also killed a caribou wearing a T-shirt over Labor Day as well..... its Alaska and far North, weather can change any time so check the forcasts and plan for everything...

Is there Meat freezer in Prudhoe bay?
Wouldn’t plan on it. I shot a caribou last year and then hunted for the next 7 days, meat was fine, just be smart with meat care. Bring a tarp and stuff to build a meat pole. Clean game bags, there are areas of shade if you look, build your rack there.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Can run to Prudhoe Bay. Ship meat and horns home with Alaska Air cargo if you are known shipper. Pretty easy. We shipped to 2 bulls. Meat and skulls with antlers attached. PM for specifics

saiz11

FNG

If you are going late August I’d say temperatures should be cool enough for meat in my experience. I’ve been up there at 75 and then snow flurries the next day. But I’d say 30-50s is probably more likely. Good chance of rain. So tarp and meat pole and let it hang. I don’t think the bugs are bad that time of year. Don’t have a lot of experience on shipping sorry other than everyone says Alaska airlines.

JMonty

FNG
Keep in mind also that other hunters are going to be looking for businesses that provide freezer space as well and that can fill up inventory fast. You may be served well by trying to see if you can reserve some space or work something out in case you do need it.